Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonandpatti View Post
Dealer insists Captiva is only flat-towable if manual transmission; for any automatic, all driven wheels must be up for towing.
By the way I have a 06 Saturn Vue and that is flat-towable, but that's because it's a Honda V6 & auto transmission.
Don't know who makes the Captiva engine & transmission, but I understand it is not Honda.
Engine and drive train are the same as Equinox.
No use arguing with a dealer that will not look in the manual.

Here is the towing section from my 2012 Captiva Owners Manual.
Vehicle Care 10-79
Dinghy Towing
Front-wheel‐drive and
all-wheel-drive vehicles may be
dinghy towed from the front.
These vehicles can also be towed
by placing them on a platform trailer
with all four wheels off of the
ground. For other towing options,
see “Dolly Towing” following in this
section.
For vehicles being dinghy towed,
the vehicle should be run at the
beginning of each day and at each
RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
This will ensure proper lubrication of
transmission components.
To tow the vehicle from the front
with all four wheels on the ground:
1. Position the vehicle that will be
towed and secure it to the
towing vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition key to
ACC/ACCESSORY.
3. Shift the transmission to
N (Neutral).
4. Turn fog lamps and all
accessories off.
5. To prevent the battery from
draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove the
2 amp mode moding fuse from the
instrument panel fuse block
and store it in a safe location.
See Instrument Panel Fuse
Block on page 10‑40
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right you are Ron! We just bought our Chevy Captiva last week and being flat towable was the first requirement when we went looking for a toad. I'd never seen one before last week, I liked the looks of it, got out the owners manual, read that it is flat towable even with automatic transmission, is relatively light at 3700lbs, and I fit comfortably even at 6' tall, and it has 4 doors. I checked the internet to reverify flat towing, found out it is the new Chevy version of the discontinued Saturn Vue, and bought it. Our tow bar and base plate arrived Fed Ex this week and we will soon be towing a Captiva. Thanks again for your posts and messages.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonandpatti View Post
I had found and was ready to buy a 2012 Captiva, but the Chev dealer said it was not towable.
I found an owner's manual online, and it said tow front wheels up for FWD and all wheels up for AWD.
Not sure what is going on???
Actually I think the owners manual explains how to tow the Captiva on all 4 wheels, on the back wheels using a dolly, or on a trailer with no wheels on the ground. I think it even explains what must be done in an emergency where a tow truck would have to tow it on the front wheels with the back wheels up in the air ( I think the tow truck would have to also use those small dolly like wheels under the fronts then ). Anyway that may be the reason for the confusion, maybe you didn't see the whole article on the internet and missed the 4 down section.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #18

The only manuals I have found for the Chevy Captiva is for vehicles made in UK and India. They are different than the North America Version.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got a chance to review our owner's manual this morning and the Captiva AWD is flat towable with 4 wheels down, or can be put on a trailer with all 4 wheels not on the ground. It clearly states you cannot use a dolly, and to never tow it with just 2 wheels down. Makes it easy to remember, 4 wheels the same way, up or down.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I got a chance to review our owner's manual this morning and the Captiva AWD is flat towable with 4 wheels down, or can be put on a trailer with all 4 wheels not on the ground. It clearly states you cannot use a dolly, and to never tow it with just 2 wheels down. Makes it easy to remember, 4 wheels the same way, up or down.
Does the description match my post above?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Does the description match my post above?
Yes it does Ron, the owners manual goes on to state that the AWD Captiva should only be towed with all 4 wheels turning on the ground or on a trailer with all 4 wheels locked in place and not turning, and NEVER on a dolly with just the back wheels on the ground or backwards with just the front wheels on the ground.

It goes on to state that the FWD (front wheel drive) Captiva can be towed with a dolly, front wheels on the dolly only and never backwards with the back wheels on the dolly and front wheels on the ground.

This info is straight out of the owners manual that came with our 2012 Captiva Sport AWD.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Made one last trip to dealer on which fuse to pull for towing. There is a modification to the manual. Proper fuse to remove is the PWR/MODING 2 amp fuse. I have not tried it out yet. It was a update to my original owners manual.
If anyone wants the document of this change. Send me a PM with a email address. I will send you a PDF file with the info.
Thanks Ron! Just got a 2012 Captiva...and I was looking for the fuse that did not exist! You saved me some major heartburn!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #23

If you send me a PM with a email address. I can send you the documents I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Thanks Ron! Just got a 2012 Captiva...and I was looking for the fuse that did not exist! You saved me some major heartburn!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I purchased the Captive in March. The dealer and I reviewed the book and determined that it was flat towable.
Installed the Blue Ox plate and decided to use magnetic lights in lieu of wiring the system.
The fuse issue is a mess. I have pulled the 2 amp fuse that I guessed was for the dash.
The first trip was from Sarasota, FL to southern SC. Upon arrival battery dead. This after shutting off the radio, HVAC, Automatic headlights which I thought would be OK.
Second trip from southern SC to Myrtle Beach, SC. upon arrival battery was fine, car started right up.
Since then we have towed to PA. and back with mixed battery problems.
I pulled the battery negative to check for a electrical pull and sure enough got the spark when touching the negative post.
Since I have a Blue OX brake device I have to have power to keep it operating.
Now thinking of running battery line from the MH to the battery to see if this is the solution.
I like the Captiva and it does tow nicely. Just an owners book issue that will be corrected.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I purchased the Captive in March. The dealer and I reviewed the book and determined that it was flat towable.
Installed the Blue Ox plate and decided to use magnetic lights in lieu of wiring the system.
The fuse issue is a mess. I have pulled the 2 amp fuse that I guessed was for the dash.
The first trip was from Sarasota, FL to southern SC. Upon arrival battery dead. This after shutting off the radio, HVAC, Automatic headlights which I thought would be OK.
Second trip from southern SC to Myrtle Beach, SC. upon arrival battery was fine, car started right up.
Since then we have towed to PA. and back with mixed battery problems.
I pulled the battery negative to check for a electrical pull and sure enough got the spark when touching the negative post.
Since I have a Blue OX brake device I have to have power to keep it operating.
Now thinking of running battery line from the MH to the battery to see if this is the solution.
I like the Captiva and it does tow nicely. Just an owners book issue that will be corrected.
I sent you updated documents for the fuse. I checked a 2013 manual. It is correct.
When the 2 amp mode moding fuse is pulled the dash lights will still work like normal. They shut off after a sort time. Make sure other items like radio and fog lights are off.
I plug my brake monitor light into the power plug in cargo area. This is only power plug that has power when proper fuse is pulled and key is put in proper position.
Most I have towed so far is a little over 4 hours. But have not had any battery problems.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #26

I just purchased a 2012 captiva with 6cyl enging 6 speed transmission and need help to connect to my 2000 37 ft Roseair by Rexhall my email is bowman_21@msn.com

Please help Lee
Lee Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bowman View Post
I just purchased a 2012 captiva with 6cyl enging 6 speed transmission and need help to connect to my 2000 37 ft Roseair by Rexhall my email is bowman_21@msn.com

Please help Lee
Sent you a email with the new fuse information.
Enjoy your new Toad.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have installed a switch on the proper 2 amp fuse. When turned off nothing is heard but when turned on you can hear the system activating.
The real test is on 9/9 when we get on the road again.

Does anyone know if the speedometer records when being towed?
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote