Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking Captiva - I Like It

We got rid of our old 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier when the A/C went south (again) and bought a used 2014 Captiva with 18,000 miles.

I just brought it home from the shop where they installed a Blue Ox baseplate, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, and an SMI Stay-and-Play brake system. The ride felt very good, but it was only 20 miles. We'll put a couple hundred miles on the tow system come Thanksgiving.

As others have mentioned, the Captiva is a fleet vehicle and can only be bought used. But since it is not a "showroom model" it can be found for a very good price. Though it is essentially the old Saturn Vue, it has the same engine and transmission as the Equinox.

I have found it very comfortable, and I have begun using it around town in lieu of my Yukon XL. It gets about 10 - 12 mpg more than the Yukon.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #86

The changes I have seen on the 2014 model are mechanical. They no longer offer the V6 engine or AWD,

Old 11-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
We got rid of our old 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier when the A/C went south (again) and bought a used 2014 Captiva with 18,000 miles.

I just brought it home from the shop where they installed a Blue Ox baseplate, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, and an SMI Stay-and-Play brake system. The ride felt very good, but it was only 20 miles. We'll put a couple hundred miles on the tow system come Thanksgiving.

As others have mentioned, the Captiva is a fleet vehicle and can only be bought used. But since it is not a "showroom model" it can be found for a very good price. Though it is essentially the old Saturn Vue, it has the same engine and transmission as the Equinox.

I have found it very comfortable, and I have begun using it around town in lieu of my Yukon XL. It gets about 10 - 12 mpg more than the Yukon.
Enjoy your Captiva. Do not forget to pull the 2amp fuse. Mine has a switch. Makes it much easier to use.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #88

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear no more AWD for the Captiva. Can't imagine that AWD isn't handy to have in most of the country during winter.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #89

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Sorry to hear no more AWD for the Captiva. Can't imagine that AWD isn't handy to have in most of the country during winter.
The AWD feature isn't a terrible loss as the vehicle is so light and with a short well base it performs well in snow and the FWD gets better gas mileage. What is unfortunate is the inability to get a 6 cylinder. while I've found the 4 cylinder acceptable, there were times in the mountains that I wished I had a 6.

As for base plates, tow bars, etc, it's an exact match to the late model Vues and parts are readily available.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Enjoy your Captiva. Do not forget to pull the 2amp fuse. Mine has a switch. Makes it much easier to use.
Yes, we have a fuse switch also.

Compared to the old Cavalier, the new setup is fantastic.

With the Captiva, I hook up the tow bar and plug in the electrics. Throw the fuse switch and the brake switch and off we go!

With the Cavalier, it was hook up the tow bar, get the Brake Buddy out of the trunk, hook up the Brake Buddy, put the Rubbermaid tub for the Brake Buddy back in the trunk, get out the wireless magnetic lights, put the wireless magnetic lights on the trunk lid, test the brake lights, replace the batteries in the brake lights, check them again, and off we go!
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 AM   #91

I recently changed Toads...so I have the Roadmaster Base Plates off the 2012 Captiva if anybody out there is interested for sale...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good morning! Been reading the above older posts, but thought I would check in again. We've got the opportunity to purchase a 2013 Captiva Sport LTZ for $7K. We need to definitely know if this is towable 4 down if that particular fuse is pulled. It is a 2.4L automatic. Thanks for any updates.
Jim-Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #93

Excel Owners Club
Yes, it 4 down towable. I'm assuming yours is a FWD. How many miles on it? On the 4 cylinder engine just make sure that this car has an excellent record on oil changes, preferably with full synthetic oil (suggest max oil changes @ 5000 mile intervals). The piston rings tend to stick on vehicles with extended oil changes and conventional/blend oil. They also tend to sludge up the orifices that spray the timing chains. Other than that they are good/cheap cars. Just sayin', I retired as a automotive service engineer.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #94

Still towing our 2012 with 58k. Just pull a fuse or put switch in. Also go to a locksmith and get a key without a chip to use when towing.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #95

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was able to get a key made at Walmart. They used a blank for a Hyundai to make the key!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote