Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I have installed a switch on the proper 2 amp fuse. When turned off nothing is heard but when turned on you can hear the system activating.
The real test is on 9/9 when we get on the road again.

Does anyone know if the speedometer records when being towed?
No speedometer millage recorded when towed.
Another item you may want to do is get a non chipped key made at a Key/Lock shop. I believe mine is from a Hyundia car. Adds a little security when towing. Car will not start when this key is used.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We towed the Captiva from Myrtle Beach, SC to Gettysburg, PA and the battery stayed charged.
I believe the change in the 2 amp fuse did the trick.
I installed a switch, with a fuse holder in the fuse panel connectors and put the switch in the panel door. Ease of turning on and off.

Used a AMF fuse tap and paddle type connectors in the fuse place. Easy hook up.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #31

Quote:
We towed the Captiva from Myrtle Beach, SC to Gettysburg, PA and the battery stayed charged.
I believe the change in the 2 amp fuse did the trick.
I installed a switch, with a fuse holder in the fuse panel connectors and put the switch in the panel door. Ease of turning on and off.

Used a AMF fuse tap and paddle type connectors in the fuse place. Easy hook up.
I did similar install using a ATM fuse tap. Cut a ATM fuse. Then soldered wires to cut fuse legs. Plugged this into the fuse tap. Used a 16 ga fuse holder. Solder a switch and the other 2 items together. Using the ATM low profile fuses are a pain. Installed switch in side of panel to right of fuse cover door.
I did the same setup for my BIL's 2013 Honda C-RV. Only difference is his pulled fuse is 7.5 amp.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #32

Towed ours 750 miles so far! Only thing I did was run a positive charge wire from our coach 7 pin to the captiva battery...the brake Buddy plugs in to 12 volt receptacle...so pulling that fuse is not an option for me...putting a trickle charge back into the battery did the trick...

Captiva's are really nice toads!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Jim
The 12 volt power plug in the rear storage area is still hot when the fuse is pulled. I ran a 12 volt extension cord to the front to power my brake device.
I think that the odometer will register mileage if the fuse is not pulled. You can check this the next time you tow the car.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Jim
The 12 volt power plug in the rear storage area is still hot when the fuse is pulled. I ran a 12 volt extension cord to the front to power my brake device.
I think that the odometer will register mileage if the fuse is not pulled. You can check this the next time you tow the car.
I thought about that...there is also a receptacle behind the center console as well...it definitely racks up mileage...interesting....

Tks!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
I thought about that...there is also a receptacle behind the center console as well...it definitely racks up mileage...interesting....

Tks!
The receptacle behind center console will also lose power when fuse is pulled. I use the one in cargo area.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #36

Got my 2012 Captiva on the road and it tows great. Installed blue ox plate and also using blue ox tow bar. Only item left to install is the switch for the fuse so I don't need to pull it out everytime. Thanks for all your input

Lee Bowman
Lee Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another place to mount your fuse switch is in the little open storage bin in your center console under the radio. You can pop it out using a putty knife, drill a hole in it to mount the switch, install switch and pop the bin back into place and your good to go! You'll have to add about 6" of wire to the switch to reach the fuse but that's not a big deal to do.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #38

I installed my fuse switch using a mini add-a-fuse adapter/tap. This allowed me to use ATM fuses instead of the low profile fuses that are hard to solder wires to. I did this several months ago. I noticed in the October FMCA magazine there is article in tech and travel tips on how to do the same thing.
You can also use a ATM fuse instead of low profile fuse. Makes pulling out fuse much easier.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #39

Call GM and they should be able to tell you if you can tow flat. I did on my Buick Enclave even though the dealer had no idea!!!
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have now towed the Captiva roughly 1500 miles since getting the correct fuse. All is working well.
Installed the switch in the removable fuse panel, drilled a 1 inch hole, and used a flat round switch.
Very happy with the set up.

Question I have. If you rotate the tires, how does it affect the tire pressure system.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Question I have. If you rotate the tires, how does it affect the tire pressure system.
Check out section 10-50 of your owners manual. It explains the reset procedure after rotating/replacing tires and wheel assemblies.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
No speedometer millage recorded when towed.
Another item you may want to do is get a non chipped key made at a Key/Lock shop. I believe mine is from a Hyundia car. Adds a little security when towing. Car will not start when this key is used.
That is correct Ron, I also had a non chipped key made at Walmart and I asked them to us a Hyundia key after reading your tip and it works great. Steering wheel turns but car will not start.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote