Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chevrolet Captiva

I am in the market for a different toad and have really been impressed with the Chevy Captiva. Have driven it and the Equinox and much prefer the Captiva. However, I am getting conflicting reports as to the towability of the Captiva 4 down. Did find an owners manual from the UK and it does not mention anything about towability. Does anybody know with certainty that the 2012 Captiva 2W FWD automatic 6 cyl is towable 4 down. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks - Parkerco
Parkerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2011-12 Chevrolet Captiva is the same vehicle as the 2008-10 Saturn Vue. According to this article, the 2008 Saturn Vue was tow-able:

Saturn unveils towable 2008 Vue

I have a 2006 Vue, which is also tow-able.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

I too have been interested in the Captiva. The problem is even though it exactly the same as the Vue, unless it is specifically documented as towable in the owners manual, you could be in serious trouble if you had a warranty claim. GM has marketed the Captiva to rental fleets exclusively, not to consumers, therefore not likely to consider flat towing ability.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just rented a 2013 Captiva while we were in Texas last month and I did check the owners manual and it did say it was towable 4 down and I THINK it said that was for both AWD and FWD, but don't hold me to that part.
I too thought it was a great vehicle and if they were available here in Canada from fleet sales I would consider one next time we trade.
Lots of room and comfortable seating.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chevy Captiva

Just checked with a dealer here who had both the 2 & 4 WD versions and he checked the owner's manuals for me and said that they are both towable. Good news for me and y'all as well. Thanks for the imput.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

I purchased a 2012 Captiva. Getting it ready to tow. Got a Blue Ox tow bar (BX3332) Same baseplate as a 2008-10 Vue. Instructions from Blue Ox show how to install on a Captiva. Demco baseplate for Vue will not work. Did not check on Roadmaster.
I will be using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake system. So far the hookup looks good with no interferences.
The only problem I have found so far is which fuse to pull for towing. Owners Manual calls for a 2 amp fuse be pulled. Problem is that there is no such fuse with name called out in towing section in fuse panel. I called Chevy customer service. After them looking at manual they told me to take it to dealer. They would tell me which fuse to pull. Been to dealer twice now. They are guessing which fuse needs to be pulled. At this time I plan to install and use a battery disconnect when towing it.
The instruction sheet for Blue OX baseplate shows where to put a hole in rear tail light for a bulb. I have not decided what to use for tail lights. magnetic lights or a bulb.
We like this SUV a lot. Rides and handles very well. Hope to have everything installed by end of the month.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Made one last trip to dealer on which fuse to pull for towing. There is a modification to the manual. Proper fuse to remove is the PWR/MODING 2 amp fuse. I have not tried it out yet. It was a update to my original owners manual.
If anyone wants the document of this change. Send me a PM with a email address. I will send you a PDF file with the info.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #8

Completed 4 down setup of my 2012 Captiva.
Blue Ox base plate BX3332. Some items are a problem with install. Made a document with notes on install problems. If anyone decides to go this route PM me and I will send the document.
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar. Hookup of brakes went well. Made a L bracket that puts hole thru firewall at a easier place to drill.
Diodes for toad lights. Easy hookup to rear brake lights.
Overall I am happy with the install. Did a 10 test drive on local roads and freeway. Hard to tell car is back there.
Going to do a longer trip next week.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

Made maiden trip with the Captiva in tow. Very happy with setup. Pulled almost 400 miles with no problems.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks good Ron. Haven't had a chance to take mine out yet but maybe next week after the Mem Day crowds are gone. Any feed back from Blue Ox on the baseplate fit and install?
Harv
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #11

They sent me a thank you for the document. I believe they are waiting for someone to come to their plant and have one installed on a Captiva.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had found and was ready to buy a 2012 Captiva, but the Chev dealer said it was not towable.
I found an owner's manual online, and it said tow front wheels up for FWD and all wheels up for AWD.
Not sure what is going on???
gordonandpatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonandpatti View Post
I had found and was ready to buy a 2012 Captiva, but the Chev dealer said it was not towable.
I found an owner's manual online, and it said tow front wheels up for FWD and all wheels up for AWD.
Not sure what is going on???
Did the dealer look in the owners manual? Mine says it is towable. Just like the 2008-10 Saturn Vue.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Captiva towable???

Dealer insists Captiva is only flat-towable if manual transmission; for any automatic, all driven wheels must be up for towing.
By the way I have a 06 Saturn Vue and that is flat-towable, but that's because it's a Honda V6 & auto transmission.
Don't know who makes the Captiva engine & transmission, but I understand it is not Honda.
gordonandpatti is offline   Reply With Quote