Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Chevy Captiva/Saturn Vue Towing Advice

Newbie to towing, we just purchased a 2015 Captiva LTZ (4cyl FWD) and I would like some help on setting it up to tow. I will be pulling it with an Entegra Class A. So far all I have is a Demco-Excali II tow bar.
Tow Plate: looking at the Blue Ox or Demco
Wiring: Not sure if I should go the diode or add a bulb option
Braking: M&G or Air Force One or?
Protector: I like the screen mesh idea but have not found one for the class A or should I use 3m protector for the front of the Captiva
I will add a fuse switch but where have you located the switch ? (Radio Shack DIY Parts)
We also use a Saris Freedom 2 bike rack and my plan was to put a hitch on the Captiva and install it there or should I use a Dual adapter and put it on the Motorhome (my understanding is it will decrease the capacity of the hitch by 50%).
I believe the Captiva and 2008 and up Vue are similar.
I would like to know how you have setup yours to tow. Any and all advice and tips are appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

2012 Entegra Insignia 40 CKFL
2015 Chevy Captiva
David & Mary
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Also, take a look at Roadmaster sterling all-terrain tow bars. I've used mine since 2008 (had one overhaul done) and haven't had any trouble. Nothing wrong with Blue Ox products, but for me the Roadmaster seems better - all American parts. Dave

Tiffin 32CA 2012
2007 Jeep Liberty
allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll like the Captiva a lot, easy to tow and a good vehicle to run around in. We used diodes for our lighting and are very happy with that choice, in my opinion diodes are much easier to install than drilling holes and installing sockets and bulbs. You have to run wires either way but the with the diodes you just pull out the back light assembly, splice the new wires and diodes to the stock wiring, and put the assemble back in. As for the location of the fuse switch, there's a number of good locations to put it so just go with what you like best. We use a Protect A Tow to protect the front of our Captiva and find it's easy to install, easy to use, and works well.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
David I like your choice of toad brakes but I don't think M&G is made for the Captiva also looked at the installation for the brackets and the Blue Ox is a little harder than the Roadmaster but Roadmaster has the XL brackets old style square only for the Captiva.
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

I have a 2012 Captiva that we tow. Great car. I installed a Blue OX baseplate. The Demco baseplate for Saturn will not work with the Captiva. Spread is wrong to fit in Captiva grill. Road Master baseplate bolts to frame under engine. While it is easier to install I wanted a baseplate that attached to the main body frame. Tow bar is a Ready Brute Elite. Works great. I installed a fuse bypass switch in panel above and to right of fuse panel door. I put diodes in for taillights. We also have a 2015 Captiva. I noticed when hooking up trailer lights that taillights on the 2015 are different than 2012. But should still work with diodes. I have towed about 15K miles with no problems. Here is a thread from 2013 on my and others install for towing.
I purchased a Curt 2" trailer hitch off EBAY. Here is Link to the model I purchased but from E-trailer.com
Easy to install with 6 bolts that come with hitch. Holes and nuts are already in place.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, chevy, tow, towing, towing advice