Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #1

Hello, we just recently purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt (5-speed manual transmission)and intend on towing it with our 2007 Hurricane 34B in the spring.

Has anyone set up their Cobalt for towing? I would love to hear some feedback on the equipment used and the ease of installation etc.....

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all

2007 Chevy Cobalt (5-speed manual)
Skrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #2

Hello, we just recently purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt (5-speed manual transmission)and intend on towing it with our 2007 Hurricane 34B in the spring.

Has anyone set up their Cobalt for towing? I would love to hear some feedback on the equipment used and the ease of installation etc.....

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #3

Since the Cobalt and HHR share the same infrastructure, I would suggest you look in this forum for the HHR posts (which there are several) regarding setting up your toad for towing.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #4

I will look into the HHR posts, thanks.

I do not have a budget for the towing set-up. I know I will want to have a supplemental braking system and probably adjustable tow bar for easier hook-up.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skrams:
I will look into the HHR posts, thanks.

I do not have a budget for the towing set-up. I know I will want to have a supplemental braking system and probably adjustable tow bar for easier hook-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A supplemental braking system is always a good idea. Some people think they don't need one because they think their coach brakes can handle the extra weight. Your coach brakes may be able to handle the extra weight in a normal stop; but in a panic stop supplemental breaking will surely help you stop faster and shorter.

Also, make sure you get a breakaway feature with your supplemental brake system. Your coach brakes may be able to stop your toad as long as it's hooked up, but the coach brakes can't do anything to stop your toad if your toad ever separates from the coach. As unlikely as that occurrence may be, I wouldn't tow without breakaway protection.

There are lots of decent brake systems out there. Be sure to check out SMI as they are a sponsor of the forum.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #6

Skrams, a few more specifics on how I set up my HHR:

I use a Blue Ox tow bar and face plate. You can purchase them here. I have the faceplate with the removable pins so you don't see them protruding from the front.

The Blue Ox website is very helpful regarding recommendations on how to wire your car, including the Cobalt. Their website is here.

I would only recommend towing 4-down. I'm pretty sure the Cobalt is approved for 4-down as it has the same drivetrain as the HHR (I also note you have the manual transmission; even the automatic will tow. This can be verified in your owner's manual).

There are many different types of braking systems available. I use the Roadmaster Even Brake, which is a box-type system you put on the floor of the car. Takes me about 3 minutes to hook it up for tow. Just read this forum on recommendations on other types, some which require more extensive installation.

I would absolutely recommend the use of auxiliary brakes for any toad. There is an excellent writeup in this forum on the need for auxiliary brakes here. Don't leave home without them.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #7

Great info, thank-you. I do not have enough space at home to store a trailer or dolly, otherwise I would definately go that route. The MH and two vehicles take up the whole driveway.

I did a lot of research on vehicles before buying and bought the Chevy Cobalt because towing it 4-wheels down is specifically stated as being acceptable by GM and in the owners manual. It is also a 5-speed manual transmission so I should not have any worries about voiding warranties.

The tow bar seems fairly straightforward. The base plate could be a pain in the butt to install but it is the supplemental braking systems and brakelight wiring that I will need to research more.

I will not be towing without supplemental braking and breakaway cables. Simple physics tells me it is a disaster waiting to happen not to have either system.

Thanks again for the replys. Feel free to add more info or products that I may not have thought of.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #8

Skrams, one more thing to help you out in your planning. The Blue Ox website has downloadable instructions on the installation of the faceplate, and wiring instructions. The wiring instructions are somewhat generic, but they are still helpful.

I chose not to cut into the car's wiring loom, so I ran the 4-wire toad wiring to the rear of the car and cut diretly into the stop/turn lights (L/R) using diodes from the prior site I referred you to. My only challenge was to get both tail lights to light up, so I ran a 2nd wire to the opposite side of the car and used an additional diode (total of 4) to light the opposite tail light. It worked.

So you might want to plan on having access to an additional diode if you don't cut into the car's wiring loom.

My friend and I had the faceplate, brake system break-away switch installed, and wiring complete in 4 hours. The hardest part on the HHR was we had to drop the front fascia. Not sure on the Cobalt, but the instructions on the Blue Ox website will tell you for sure.

The Roadmaster Even Brake does require some installation as well, as it has a remote transmitter in the toad, which needs to connect to the brake light switch in the toad. The other brake systems, such as SMI Air Force One and M&G braking systems require much more significant installation. I chose to go the 'box' route as it is totally self-contained within the toad -- no tapping into air brake systems, etc.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Skrams, a few more specifics on how I set up my HHR:

I use a Blue Ox tow bar and face plate. You can purchase them here. I have the faceplate with the removable pins so you don't see them protruding from the front.

The Blue Ox website is very helpful regarding recommendations on how to wire your car, including the Cobalt. Their website is here.

I would only recommend towing 4-down. I'm pretty sure the Cobalt is approved for 4-down as it has the same drivetrain as the HHR (I also note you have the manual transmission; even the automatic will tow. This can be verified in your owner's manual).

There are many different types of braking systems available. I use the Roadmaster Even Brake, which is a box-type system you put on the floor of the car. Takes me about 3 minutes to hook it up for tow. Just read this forum on recommendations on other types, some which require more extensive installation.

I would absolutely recommend the use of auxiliary brakes for any toad. There is an excellent writeup in this forum on the need for auxiliary brakes here. Don't leave home without them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does your HHR accumulate miles when towing? The dealer where I bought could not offer any answer to that question.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 AM   #10

Skrams, no it does not. You may be required to pull fuse #8 (as is specified in the owners manual) such that the miles do not accumulate. I installed a fuse switch, and all works well. No miles. No dead battery.