Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Chevy Colorado truck

Ok I have found out that I would be able to tow a chevy colorado 4x4 with automatic . I have not kept up with trucks in several yrs since I have been having a fifthwheel. I want a crewcab 4 door 4x4 . It weights 3656, I was wondering if any of you have towed this truck and did it do ok and do you like it.?
thanks for any help
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Not quite sure what kind of info your looking for. Are you going to pull it?? or pull something with it?...I'll just give you my 1 cents.

My father had Colorados and Canyons for company trucks. Nice little trucks for putting around...but when it comes to being work trucks, they didn't do anything particularly well if I'm being honest. He pulled a trailer with his, and had a big space-kap on one (was the size of a small camper). They had a lot of bed twist and frame flex...so much so, that it scratched up the back of the cab. Because they're a narrow wobbly little truck, while pulling a trailer, the wind tossed them all over the place.

with that said, if you're towing one, it should be no different than pulling anything else of that weight. Same a pulling a Jeep Wrangler or something of a similar weight I would say. Follow the same procedures as you would with any 4wd vehicle.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom41
Ok I have found out that I would be able to tow a chevy colorado 4x4 with automatic . I have not kept up with trucks in several yrs since I have been having a fifthwheel. I want a crewcab 4 door 4x4 . It weights 3656, I was wondering if any of you have towed this truck and did it do ok and do you like it.?
thanks for any help
I tow a 2005 Colorado 4X4 auto extended cab 3.5L and it tows great. It doesn't have the best turning radius but it follows my class A MH fine. I have a Blue Ox tow plate on the Colorado which is a neat installation. I use the Ready Brute Elite with surge braking on my MH and really like it also
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Jon I would be towing the truck behind a class c motorhome with a V10,, Lavamanz thank you for your information. That is just what I was asking for.
thanks again
Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tow a 2012 crew cab 4 WD Colorado and have nad no problems. Just be sure that if you get one it has the ability to be put in neutral. I understand some dont have that feature and they are not recommended for towing. Mine has the V-8 engine and oversize tires. It weighed out on CAT scales at 4460 with half tank of fuel and empty cab area. It tows easily and is not any different that I can tell, from my old Wrangler. So far I have towed it about 3000 miles and Im satisfied at this time. It is a tighter fit for me as I steped down from a crewcab 4WD Silverado, I could not tow the Silverado because the 4WD had no neutral on the electronic control.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forgot to mention, I use the Blue Ox towbar and reciever with a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. And one more thing, dont expect any great MPGs, it does not happen regardless of engine you get.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
thanks catonine, your colorado sounds great. I didn't know they made a v-8, I was looking at a v-5, and still not sure how that works. But it had all the bells and whistles. The reason I need a truck to tow is that I use it around my place in the country pulling a 5'x8' trailer hauling manure, straw and things for the garden. I am stepping down from a F350 7.3 diesel crewcab. I have found a 2006 F150 extended cab 4x4 with manual transfer case that would be towable 4 wheels down. But it weighs in at 5,000 lbs and I have beewn told by some that it would be to much for a 29' class C with the V-10 motor. I was thinking I had seen where the class c I am lookibg at had a tow rating of 7500 lbs. but I could be mistaken. thank you for your reply and your Colorado sounds like a nice one, safe travels
Tom
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #8

My MH hardly ever leaves home without the 2007 Chevy Colorado Ext Cap 4x4 in tow. Roadmaster Sterling tow system and Brake Buddy for emergency breaking. My truck has some special customizing along with the ARE topper. Loaded with much of my shooting gear (shooting cart, guns, and ammo) and full of gas will put it just over 5000 lbs. I have towed it near 8000 miles so far and the 400 Cummins in the G7 pulls it with ease....almost forget it is there until I look in rearview camera. The only negative I find in the truck for tow is that I need to have tires rotated, balanced if needed and the tow checked regularly as the tires tend to wear a little excessive to the inside. I try to have this done every 8-10K miles. Nothing to serious. After the simple Roadmaster hookup I find it very easy to get transfer case into neutral and even easier out to chosen drive. Follow instruction to neutral then turn off ignition, put transmission in P,take keys out, and hit the road. Installer also placed the special turn/brake lights inside rear light housing. I find it an ideal setup for my travel and need of tow. If wife wants to carry some ladies out shopping while the guys are shooting she has easy seating for four and lots of room in covered rear for their buys. Truck gets around the 20 mpg mark pretty easy and I find all the pep I need. I drive the same truck to elk camp in the mountains of NMex in the fall...plus it is my every day to work vehicle. I have over 90K miles on truck. Highly recommend it.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

The 5cyl isn't a v5, it's an inline 5 (shared with izuzu). There was an issue with the valve seats of many of them...the fix included replacing the cylinder heads. If you get occasional missfires with yours, have your gm dealer look at it. GM is aware of the problem.

You couldn't have a "v" engine with an odd number of cylinders
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
YC1

Chevy Colorado is the same as the H3. Tows very well. The inline 5 needs more power so I chipped mine but the improvement was not dramatic. I do have huge narly tires on it so that cuts into the acceleration and mileage. It tows easily. Just push two buttons at the same time, put it in park, and get out.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My brother-in-law towed a Colorado for years, until it had the engine issue. Chevy was willing to fix it for free, but he was ready for a new truck. The earlier models were poorly rated for being underpowered.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Anybody have any info. on towing a 2005 Chevy Colorado 2WD with an automatic transmission.

Thanks
mtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would require a aux tranmission pump or drive shaft disconnect. The only auto Colorados that can be towed are the 4X4s equiped with the transfer case that can be shifted to neutral.

Glenn