Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick42 View Post
I've seen quite a few mention tying a bungee cord to the steering wheel and hooking it under the seat. Do you leave it loose enough so the wheels still turn, but tight enough so they don't end up turning a direction you don't want?

Good question.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I've seen quite a few mention tying a bungee cord to the steering wheel and hooking it under the seat. Do you leave it loose enough so the wheels still turn, but tight enough so they don't end up turning a direction you don't want?

Bumping up so hopefully someone will have an answer.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #45

Quote:
I'll update a little.

I took my Equinox to the local Chevy dealer with my complaint. They found one tire very worn and alignment out some. I put on new Goodyear Comfortread tires and aligned. Seems to have solved the problem?!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have a 2011 Equinox AWD, I have been towing since I got it, It was a top rated vehicle for flat towing at the time, and I have had no problems. I do not tie the steering wheel, I do read my Owners manual, and review the instruction for flat towing behind my RV. The manufacturer does not indicate a need to secure the steering. When I had my tow package installed on the vehicle I made sure the tow bar was level in height, and I always watch to be sure the bars lock in place. 40,000 miles later, still perfect. I would believe the owners manual would advise you if the wheel needs to be secured Perhaps there is a difference in vehicle configuration for your Equinox, I do not know. Curious if there has been a problem you are trying to fix, or just precautions.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I have a 2011 Equinox AWD, I have been towing since I got it, It was a top rated vehicle for flat towing at the time, and I have had no problems. I do not tie the steering wheel, I do read my Owners manual, and review the instruction for flat towing behind my RV. The manufacturer does not indicate a need to secure the steering. When I had my tow package installed on the vehicle I made sure the tow bar was level in height, and I always watch to be sure the bars lock in place. 40,000 miles later, still perfect. I would believe the owners manual would advise you if the wheel needs to be secured Perhaps there is a difference in vehicle configuration for your Equinox, I do not know. Curious if there has been a problem you are trying to fix, or just precautions.
Precautions because we just bought it and had it set up to tow. I only read about the problems with the 4 cylinder with electric steering having tracking problems after we bought it. I wish we had bought a 6 cylinder model with power steering now. Do you have electric or power steering? We did put on the quiet hitches for the drop down receiver and where the tow bar attaches so there will be no play in the tow bar at any point, and it is level. From what I understand, the electric steering doesn't activate and the wheels have a hard time staying centered.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #48
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Precautions because we just bought it and had it set up to tow. I only read about the problems with the 4 cylinder with electric steering having tracking problems after we bought it. I wish we had bought a 6 cylinder model with power steering now. Do you have electric or power steering? We did put on the quiet hitches for the drop down receiver and where the tow bar attaches so there will be no play in the tow bar at any point, and it is level. From what I understand, the electric steering doesn't activate and the wheels have a hard time staying centered.
I have that model and never experienced an issue in over 10k miles of towing. I have run 12v from the connector on the MH to the battery charger device I got from Blue Ox, keeping the battery charged while towing.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I have that model and never experienced an issue in over 10k miles of towing. I have run 12v from the connector on the MH to the battery charger device I got from Blue Ox, keeping the battery charged while towing.
Thank you. That makes me feel better. We're towing it for the first time tomorrow. We have to take the motorhome to the dealer to have a few things done and that is around 30 miles, most of it interstate. We're towing the car to see how it does and spending the day in the city. We're headed to Pigeon Forge in a few weeks, and want to tow it some before we go there. Hopefully we won't have any problems. I haven't seen, but wonder if people with AWD have the problem more often.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #50

Just finish my hook up AWD 2015. No issues pulled it for about50 miles to test many terrains. RM all Terrain, SMI AF1 air system and cut off switch. The only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #51

Have towed my 2012 GMC Terrain thousands of miles. Awd V6 with Roadmaster BP and falcon bar with M &B brake system. Have had no problems except when we forget to throw the switch for the fuse.! Very satisfied. Terrain=Equinox.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are setting up a 2015 Equinox for flat towing. What are you all using to isolate the brake lights from the pedal? I have tried to find the proper wire needed to install the Roadmaster relay and had no luck. If you know which wire coming out of the brake peddle switch is the proper one to cut that would help.

I installed the Trailermate brake light harness with the diodes but need to isolate the brake lights from the vehicle harness to prevent the brake peddle signal from overriding the signal from the motorhome wiring. Can a fuse be pulled that will keep the peddle from energizing the lights?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I have the 2011 6 cyl, AWD and it is just fine, also has plenty of leg room. tow flat with no problems and the install for towing was perfect. LA to Montana, to Idaho, to LA to sierras,to Utah......and on and on.

So King Richard with the Equinox isn't it the 6 speed transmission that is only towable? As for as the cylinders is it the 4 cylinder models that has the oil burning problem? Does anyone know about the electronic steering when did they start that?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So King Richard with the Equinox isn't it the 6 speed transmission that is only towable? As for as the cylinders is it the 4 cylinder models that has the oil burning problem? Does anyone know about the electronic steering when did they start that?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Back when I first researched a tow vehicle, I looked at the Trailer Life report on tow vehicles. This and MPG led me to choose the Equinox. The mfg supplied the information about flat tow, in the owners manual. I have come to believe that few people pay any attention to owners manuals, it's like asking someone for directions when you are lost. I see comments about adding miles when towing, owners manual addresses that also. I sold two great vehicles when I retired and got my Equinox. I wanted to keep one, but it was not approved and I read about terrible problems with it when flat towing. Some people did have the vehicle and did flat tow, but there were differences in the vehicles and the mfg. did not approve it to flat tow All said and done.. my owners manual has specific instructions about towing, I follow those exactly... I have no problems. The Equinox was rated very high as a flat tow vehicle.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Read somewhere 6speed only too. No electronic steering
Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #56

I haven't heard of anyone having issues when towing a 6 cyl version. Problems have all been with the 4 cyl. Again, they are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustment. Only difference is that the 4 cyl versions have electric power steering that doesn't provide any side to side resistance when it's not running. Those with the problem describe it as "trying to roll the mh over". Jeep has the exact same problem with the Cherokee but have fessed up and developed a fix that powers the electric power steering when under tow. GM has yet to admit to the problem.

Here is a video showing a Cherokee but some of the Equinox act exactly the same.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy