Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #57
RVM99
 
bokobird's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT S&B
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having issues when towing a 6 cyl version. Problems have all been with the 4 cyl. Again, they are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustment. Only difference is that the 4 cyl versions have electric power steering that doesn't provide any side to side resistance when it's not running. Those with the problem describe it as "trying to roll the mh over". Jeep has the exact same problem with the Cherokee but have fessed up and developed a fix that powers the electric power steering when under tow. GM has yet to admit to the problem.

Here is a video showing a Cherokee but some of the Equinox act exactly the same.

__________________

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
10Boomer's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having issues when towing a 6 cyl version. Problems have all been with the 4 cyl. Again, they are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustment. Only difference is that the 4 cyl versions have electric power steering that doesn't provide any side to side resistance when it's not running. Those with the problem describe it as "trying to roll the mh over". Jeep has the exact same problem with the Cherokee but have fessed up and developed a fix that powers the electric power steering when under tow. GM has yet to admit to the problem.

Here is a video showing a Cherokee but some of the Equinox act exactly the same.

__________________

__________________
Perry & Julie: 2008 Camelot 40PDQ, 400ISL, Toad; 2015 Chevy Equinox.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 364
My friend is one of those with a problem and his is a 2013. Have talked to others with a 2012 and a 2013. Obviously only a small percentage experience the problem. One guy traded vehicles as GM would not do anything and he was afraid to tow. My friend says he'll probably trade before he tows again.
__________________
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,087
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So is the AWD not available in the four cylinder? Some have electronic steering and some don't? Any of you Equinox owners know the answers?


iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #61
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Is there a particular year that is supposed to cause this issue?

In my 2015, I've never experienced the issue nor have I read anyone else experiencing the issue. I do read a lot of people who state there is an issue but 1) they don't own an Equinox and are just spreading misinformation or 2) see my question - is this impacting a particular year? It sure doesn't seem to occur on a 2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering.
bokobird, I HAVE a "2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering" Equinox and experienced the same problem as the video so perfectly illustrates. I AM NOT trying to spread misinformation.

As to those alluding to the idea that if you "follow the directions in the Owners Manual" to alleviate the problem, let me give a little background. I am a Turbojet rated Flight Engineer and retired airline Captain. I know how to, and the importance of following the directions to the letter!
__________________
DynastyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #62
RVM99
 
bokobird's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT S&B
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyGuy View Post
bokobird, I HAVE a "2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering" Equinox and experienced the same problem as the video so perfectly illustrates. I AM NOT trying to spread misinformation.

As to those alluding to the idea that if you "follow the directions in the Owners Manual" to alleviate the problem, let me give a little background. I am a Turbojet rated Flight Engineer and retired airline Captain. I know how to, and the importance of following the directions to the letter!
Well I don't know if I'm glad to hear personal experience with the issue or not, but I do believe you, just haven't ever experienced it myself.

Any particulars as to what you suspect created the wobble? I would expect some repeatable factor is causing the problem or why wouldn't everyone experience it every time they tow?

As noted, some of us have 10's of thousands of miles towing these vehicles and have not experienced the issue.
__________________
Carl
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #63
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Well I don't know if I'm glad to hear personal experience with the issue or not, but I do believe you, just haven't ever experienced it myself.

Any particulars as to what you suspect created the wobble? I would expect some repeatable factor is causing the problem or why wouldn't everyone experience it every time they tow?

As noted, some of us have 10's of thousands of miles towing these vehicles and have not experienced the issue.
I suspect that the problem is not experienced on every Equinox, 2015 or other. It was "suggested" to me that the problem related to the electronic steering system....with no specific proof, or solution other than to tow with the engine idling. One attempt at that solution "seemed" to solve the problem. I'm sure there are thousands of Equinoxes being towed with no problem...my concern is that the only way to find out is to put a very expensive bracket system on your vehicle and "give it a try"!

As I previously posted, four new tires and two alignments "seems" to have solved the problem. I will only know after towing several thousand miles and it not reoccurring! As others have noted, Chevy is of no help with the problem and seems to want to sweep it under the rug.

Fuse #32( the discreet logic ignition system) has no information as to what it actually controls...Chevy salesman tells me it cuts off the daytime running lights. Anyone know what it really controls? Has anyone installed a battery cut off switch?
__________________
DynastyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Correct Dennis but many have not experience any issues with 4 cylinder. After several months of studying the available toads we ended up with our 2015 AWD. The manual is pretty specific on flat four towing. A ton has to do with initial installation and setup. I can say with high confidence ( speaking with a Chevy engineer)at a conference last year. Many of there models have restrictive turning radius. When I measured ours and the akerman of the front steering this is a contributor to this issue. Plus electronic steering. Many manufactures have electronic steering with out experiencing the wobble.
Overall just have to watch and don't get the toad in an issue that would induce the wobble. So far only happened once on a very sharp, downward turn out of a tight driveway. Coach out turned toad, hard to believe.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
wow!! watched the video, I am glad I do not have that problem. I remember when I had my Blue Ox installed, the installer told me to watch on the initial drive off to be sure the bars extended and locked in place, and to watch for any steering wheel wobble. If it did wobble, stop and then re start the drive off. But that is really bad, sorry you are having the problem.
__________________
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
10Boomer's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So is the AWD not available in the four cylinder? Some have electronic steering and some don't? Any of you Equinox owners know the answers?


iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Our 2015 is AWD 4 banger. Just towed it 400 miles no issues. Tows great.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
__________________
Perry & Julie: 2008 Camelot 40PDQ, 400ISL, Toad; 2015 Chevy Equinox.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,087
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Our 2015 is AWD 4 banger. Just towed it 400 miles no issues. Tows great.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ

Electric steering, 4speed or 5speed?


iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
10Boomer's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Electric steering, 4speed or 5speed?


iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Automatic, 5 speed


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
__________________
Perry & Julie: 2008 Camelot 40PDQ, 400ISL, Toad; 2015 Chevy Equinox.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #68
Member


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 38
2014 No Problem

I have a 2014 AWD 4cyl and just towed from New Brunswick to Alberta 2700 miles and never had a problem.
__________________
kiscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,087
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So all the Equinox owners, what I'm trying to know with certainty is somewhere I read and not sure where is they need to be a 6 speed and stay away from electric steering? Other than the FMCA towing guide what is another good source for info?



iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
10Boomer's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 980
Tow 2015, 4 cylinder, automatic no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
__________________

__________________
Perry & Julie: 2008 Camelot 40PDQ, 400ISL, Toad; 2015 Chevy Equinox.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chevy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat towing 2012 Chevy Equinox - Miles Adding UP karencollins Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 90 08-29-2014 10:49 AM
Chevy Equinox 68SILVER Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 04-12-2012 03:32 PM
Chevy Equinox wiring George Z Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 11 11-03-2011 01:08 PM
Towing an '08 Chevy Equinox AWD ktmnoel Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 03-21-2009 04:14 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.