Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having issues when towing a 6 cyl version. Problems have all been with the 4 cyl. Again, they are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustment. Only difference is that the 4 cyl versions have electric power steering that doesn't provide any side to side resistance when it's not running. Those with the problem describe it as "trying to roll the mh over". Jeep has the exact same problem with the Cherokee but have fessed up and developed a fix that powers the electric power steering when under tow. GM has yet to admit to the problem.

Here is a video showing a Cherokee but some of the Equinox act exactly the same.

Is there a particular year that is supposed to cause this issue?

In my 2015, I've never experienced the issue nor have I read anyone else experiencing the issue. I do read a lot of people who state there is an issue but 1) they don't own an Equinox and are just spreading misinformation or 2) see my question - is this impacting a particular year? It sure doesn't seem to occur on a 2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having issues when towing a 6 cyl version. Problems have all been with the 4 cyl. Again, they are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustment. Only difference is that the 4 cyl versions have electric power steering that doesn't provide any side to side resistance when it's not running. Those with the problem describe it as "trying to roll the mh over". Jeep has the exact same problem with the Cherokee but have fessed up and developed a fix that powers the electric power steering when under tow. GM has yet to admit to the problem.

Here is a video showing a Cherokee but some of the Equinox act exactly the same.

Correct Dennis but many have not experience any issues with 4 cylinder. After several months of studying the available toads we ended up with our 2015 AWD. The manual is pretty specific on flat four towing. A ton has to do with initial installation and setup. I can say with high confidence ( speaking with a Chevy engineer)at a conference last year. Many of there models have restrictive turning radius. When I measured ours and the akerman of the front steering this is a contributor to this issue. Plus electronic steering. Many manufactures have electronic steering with out experiencing the wobble.
Overall just have to watch and don't get the toad in an issue that would induce the wobble. So far only happened once on a very sharp, downward turn out of a tight driveway. Coach out turned toad, hard to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 AM   #59

My friend is one of those with a problem and his is a 2013. Have talked to others with a 2012 and a 2013. Obviously only a small percentage experience the problem. One guy traded vehicles as GM would not do anything and he was afraid to tow. My friend says he'll probably trade before he tows again.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So is the AWD not available in the four cylinder? Some have electronic steering and some don't? Any of you Equinox owners know the answers?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Is there a particular year that is supposed to cause this issue?

In my 2015, I've never experienced the issue nor have I read anyone else experiencing the issue. I do read a lot of people who state there is an issue but 1) they don't own an Equinox and are just spreading misinformation or 2) see my question - is this impacting a particular year? It sure doesn't seem to occur on a 2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering.
bokobird, I HAVE a "2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering" Equinox and experienced the same problem as the video so perfectly illustrates. I AM NOT trying to spread misinformation.

As to those alluding to the idea that if you "follow the directions in the Owners Manual" to alleviate the problem, let me give a little background. I am a Turbojet rated Flight Engineer and retired airline Captain. I know how to, and the importance of following the directions to the letter!
DynastyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyGuy View Post
bokobird, I HAVE a "2015 4 cyl., FWD with electric steering" Equinox and experienced the same problem as the video so perfectly illustrates. I AM NOT trying to spread misinformation.

As to those alluding to the idea that if you "follow the directions in the Owners Manual" to alleviate the problem, let me give a little background. I am a Turbojet rated Flight Engineer and retired airline Captain. I know how to, and the importance of following the directions to the letter!
Well I don't know if I'm glad to hear personal experience with the issue or not, but I do believe you, just haven't ever experienced it myself.

Any particulars as to what you suspect created the wobble? I would expect some repeatable factor is causing the problem or why wouldn't everyone experience it every time they tow?

As noted, some of us have 10's of thousands of miles towing these vehicles and have not experienced the issue.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Well I don't know if I'm glad to hear personal experience with the issue or not, but I do believe you, just haven't ever experienced it myself.

Any particulars as to what you suspect created the wobble? I would expect some repeatable factor is causing the problem or why wouldn't everyone experience it every time they tow?

As noted, some of us have 10's of thousands of miles towing these vehicles and have not experienced the issue.
I suspect that the problem is not experienced on every Equinox, 2015 or other. It was "suggested" to me that the problem related to the electronic steering system....with no specific proof, or solution other than to tow with the engine idling. One attempt at that solution "seemed" to solve the problem. I'm sure there are thousands of Equinoxes being towed with no problem...my concern is that the only way to find out is to put a very expensive bracket system on your vehicle and "give it a try"!

As I previously posted, four new tires and two alignments "seems" to have solved the problem. I will only know after towing several thousand miles and it not reoccurring! As others have noted, Chevy is of no help with the problem and seems to want to sweep it under the rug.

Fuse #32( the discreet logic ignition system) has no information as to what it actually controls...Chevy salesman tells me it cuts off the daytime running lights. Anyone know what it really controls? Has anyone installed a battery cut off switch?
DynastyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Correct Dennis but many have not experience any issues with 4 cylinder. After several months of studying the available toads we ended up with our 2015 AWD. The manual is pretty specific on flat four towing. A ton has to do with initial installation and setup. I can say with high confidence ( speaking with a Chevy engineer)at a conference last year. Many of there models have restrictive turning radius. When I measured ours and the akerman of the front steering this is a contributor to this issue. Plus electronic steering. Many manufactures have electronic steering with out experiencing the wobble.
Overall just have to watch and don't get the toad in an issue that would induce the wobble. So far only happened once on a very sharp, downward turn out of a tight driveway. Coach out turned toad, hard to believe.

wow!! watched the video, I am glad I do not have that problem. I remember when I had my Blue Ox installed, the installer told me to watch on the initial drive off to be sure the bars extended and locked in place, and to watch for any steering wheel wobble. If it did wobble, stop and then re start the drive off. But that is really bad, sorry you are having the problem.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So is the AWD not available in the four cylinder? Some have electronic steering and some don't? Any of you Equinox owners know the answers?

Our 2015 is AWD 4 banger. Just towed it 400 miles no issues. Tows great.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Our 2015 is AWD 4 banger. Just towed it 400 miles no issues. Tows great.

Electric steering, 4speed or 5speed?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Electric steering, 4speed or 5speed?

Automatic, 5 speed

Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
2014 No Problem

I have a 2014 AWD 4cyl and just towed from New Brunswick to Alberta 2700 miles and never had a problem.
kiscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So all the Equinox owners, what I'm trying to know with certainty is somewhere I read and not sure where is they need to be a 6 speed and stay away from electric steering? Other than the FMCA towing guide what is another good source for info?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #70

Tow 2015, 4 cylinder, automatic no issues.

Tags
chevy