Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So all the Equinox owners, what I'm trying to know with certainty is somewhere I read and not sure where is they need to be a 6 speed and stay away from electric steering? Other than the FMCA towing guide what is another good source for info?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

The answer to your question is 4Cyl Equinox = electric steering both FWD & AWD

6Cyl Equinox = hydraulic steering both FWD & AWD

All Equinox from 2013 up have 6 speed automatic transmissions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #72

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The answer to your question is 4Cyl Equinox = electric steering both FWD & AWD

6Cyl Equinox = hydraulic steering both FWD & AWD

All Equinox from 2013 up have 6 speed automatic transmissions.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I have that model and never experienced an issue in over 10k miles of towing. I have run 12v from the connector on the MH to the battery charger device I got from Blue Ox, keeping the battery charged while towing.
Do you leave the fuse in since you have the battery charger keeping the battery charged? We have a 2015 4 cyl Equinox and did not remove the fuse for the first year of towing it since the dealer hitch guys had put on one of those chargers. We did not have any towing problems during that time. But, sometimes the car battery would be dead at the end of a day's driving. So, we started removing the fuse like the manual says. Since then, our car battery has stayed charged, BUT we have started sometimes having the problem people have described here. We only have had it when making a sharp turn and even then only sometimes. If we stop for a couple of minutes and then start again, all is well. I'm thinking that keeping the fuse in is the thing to do, so wondering if that's what you do.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #74
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
Do you leave the fuse in since you have the battery charger keeping the battery charged? We have a 2015 4 cyl Equinox and did not remove the fuse for the first year of towing it since the dealer hitch guys had put on one of those chargers. We did not have any towing problems during that time. But, sometimes the car battery would be dead at the end of a day's driving. So, we started removing the fuse like the manual says. Since then, our car battery has stayed charged, BUT we have started sometimes having the problem people have described here. We only have had it when making a sharp turn and even then only sometimes. If we stop for a couple of minutes and then start again, all is well. I'm thinking that keeping the fuse in is the thing to do, so wondering if that's what you do.
I've done both Usually I take the fuse out and I've never had any issues when doing so. I generally will start the car every break or every other break and let it run 10-15 minutes. I know the manual states it's only necessary every fuel stop, but I'm just paranoid about the tranny not being lubed so I do it more often. I've towed mine at least 10k miles, probably closer to 12k (I don't track it that accurately). Last trip was in August up to Maine (around 300 miles each way). I know I had the fuse out during that trip and things all went fine.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a little late to this party but since I've just experienced the wobble, let me put in my two cents worth. I have been able to recreate the wobble so we might be able to figure out a solution.

1. Coach is a 45' Monaco Executive
2. Equinox is LTZ 2014, 4cyl, electronic steering 18k miles. Purchased new.
3. Tires are rotated yearly.
4. NSA tow bar with Blue Ox baseplate
5. Fuse in Equinox is switchable and is turned OFF when towing.

To recreate the wobble you'll need an uneven stretch of road..a driveway will work fine if there's potholes or a patch of uneven road where they meet. Turning out of the drive at a slow speed, left or right doesn't matter, allow the Equinox to track. Do not stop or change speed. Seems like the moho must be pulling. As the EQ hits the pothole or uneven portion of the road, the wheels fail to track behind the coach and the wobble starts. If you continue to pull the wobble will get worse. Only solution is to stop and very slowly proceed forward again. This allows the wheels of the EQ to realign and track correctly. Thus, the moho must be turning and a pothole or uneven patch of roadway must be present to recreate the issue. To make it more difficult, it will only happen if the conditions are perfect. You might try 15 times doing it the same way before it occurs. IMHO, it appears to be a problem with the electronic steering, (the 6cyl has hydraulic steering) so hopefully a 'fix' can be accomplished with a flat tow wiring kit similar to the one Chrysler made for the Jeep Cherokee. We need to start posting these issues with NAFTA and FMCA. FMCA assisted in getting Chrysler off their rear ends to find a fix for the Jeeps.
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive View Post
I'm a little late to this party but since I've just experienced the wobble, let me put in my two cents worth. I have been able to recreate the wobble so we might be able to figure out a solution.

1. Coach is a 45' Monaco Executive
2. Equinox is LTZ 2014, 4cyl, electronic steering 18k miles. Purchased new.
3. Tires are rotated yearly.
4. NSA tow bar with Blue Ox baseplate
5. Fuse in Equinox is switchable and is turned OFF when towing.

To recreate the wobble you'll need an uneven stretch of road..a driveway will work fine if there's potholes or a patch of uneven road where they meet. Turning out of the drive at a slow speed, left or right doesn't matter, allow the Equinox to track. Do not stop or change speed. Seems like the moho must be pulling. As the EQ hits the pothole or uneven portion of the road, the wheels fail to track behind the coach and the wobble starts. If you continue to pull the wobble will get worse. Only solution is to stop and very slowly proceed forward again. This allows the wheels of the EQ to realign and track correctly. Thus, the moho must be turning and a pothole or uneven patch of roadway must be present to recreate the issue. To make it more difficult, it will only happen if the conditions are perfect. You might try 15 times doing it the same way before it occurs. IMHO, it appears to be a problem with the electronic steering, (the 6cyl has hydraulic steering) so hopefully a 'fix' can be accomplished with a flat tow wiring kit similar to the one Chrysler made for the Jeep Cherokee. We need to start posting these issues with NAFTA and FMCA. FMCA assisted in getting Chrysler off their rear ends to find a fix for the Jeeps.

Dennis,
Your description of the circumstances causing this condition, bump steer, is exactly correct. It will only manifest itself on the 4cyl electric steering models. The last information I had was GM was not planning to investigate this condition due to the vehicle is not being driven under it own power when this occurs. So the only fix that I am aware of for GM vehicles is a couple of bungee cords looped through the steering wheel and secured to the bottom of the seat frame to keep a centering force exerted on the steering.

By the way it's not NAFTA you want it's the NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

I wish you luck with your campaign, however in my years of dealing with them when I worked in the automotive industry, they normally do not investigate complaints that do not involve direct operator control of the vehicle. You might try the FTC, Federal Trade Commission, but even that is a long shot.

Leroy
Old 10-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #77

Illkrob......

I like that you have cleared the confusion about the Equinox (and Terrain) once and for all, and I have confirmed it also.

All 4 cylinder Equinox/Terrain with FWD or AWD have electric power steering.

All 6 cylinder Equinox/Terrain with FWD or AWD have hydraulic power steering.

Illkrob.....I noticed that you, tow the 6 cylinder Equinox AWD according to your signature. I'm guessing therefore, you have NEVER experienced the "Death Wobble" as it's described. Is that why you purchased the 6 cylinder model, or do you just prefer the more powerful engine?

To any others......
Unless I'm wrong, ONLY THOSE with the 4 cylinder MAY have experienced the "Death Wobble"?

For what it's worth.....my present toad is a 2006 Pontiac G6 WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING, towed it countless thousands of miles and never had a wobble ever. Maybe the camber or rake or whatever is different on the G6 so it doesn't wobble?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Illkrob......

I like that you have cleared the confusion about the Equinox (and Terrain) once and for all, and I have confirmed it also.

All 4 cylinder Equinox/Terrain with FWD or AWD have electric power steering.

All 6 cylinder Equinox/Terrain with FWD or AWD have hydraulic power steering.

Illkrob.....I noticed that you, tow the 6 cylinder Equinox AWD according to your signature. I'm guessing therefore, you have NEVER experienced the "Death Wobble" as it's described. Is that why you purchased the 6 cylinder model, or do you just prefer the more powerful engine?

To any others......
Unless I'm wrong, ONLY THOSE with the 4 cylinder MAY have experienced the "Death Wobble"?

For what it's worth.....my present toad is a 2006 Pontiac G6 WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING, towed it countless thousands of miles and never had a wobble ever. Maybe the camber or rake or whatever is different on the G6 so it doesn't wobble?
My choice of the Equinox V6 was due to wanting an AWD model which is hard to find in a 4cyl. Also the 4cyl is somewhat under powered so I went with the V6. Since the bump steer problem is so rare it really wasn't a consideration.

Read "Executive's" description of the circumstances needed to cause the bump steer to occur in the first place. You can tow thousands of miles and never experience it. The conditions have to be just right for it to occur.
I had it happen twice in 35,000 miles of towing a previous electric steering toad.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
fuse in or out might be important

We are towing a 4cyl Equinox and have experienced the death wobble 5 or 6 times now. But, it didn't start happening to us until we started removing the fuse that Chevrolet recommends! For the first year, we left the fuse in because the dealer had put a gizmo in the car that gave a trickle charge to the car battery from the coach. But, we had a few instances of the battery going dead while towing so we decided to start taking the fuse out as Chevrolet suggests. The very day we did that for the first time, we got the death wobble for the first time and we then got it a number of times since with the fuse out. We're going to start keeping the fuse in again and try to figure out some other way (more robust battery, maybe?) to keep the battery juiced.
We specifically looked at our car's manual to make absolutely sure the car could be flat-towed before purchasing it. It doesn't seem that Chevrolet could just say they don't have to respond because it's not being driven. We purchased the Equinox solely to pull behind the motorhome and would have purchased some other car (or maybe the 6cyl) if we'd known.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
We are towing a 4cyl Equinox and have experienced the death wobble 5 or 6 times now. But, it didn't start happening to us until we started removing the fuse that Chevrolet recommends! For the first year, we left the fuse in because the dealer had put a gizmo in the car that gave a trickle charge to the car battery from the coach. But, we had a few instances of the battery going dead while towing so we decided to start taking the fuse out as Chevrolet suggests. The very day we did that for the first time, we got the death wobble for the first time and we then got it a number of times since with the fuse out. We're going to start keeping the fuse in again and try to figure out some other way (more robust battery, maybe?) to keep the battery juiced.

We specifically looked at our car's manual to make absolutely sure the car could be flat-towed before purchasing it. It doesn't seem that Chevrolet could just say they don't have to respond because it's not being driven. We purchased the Equinox solely to pull behind the motorhome and would have purchased some other car (or maybe the 6cyl) if we'd known.

How about a small solar panel a maintainer size to put in the window during day light towing.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #81

Tow Package Cost

Just got a quote for a Blue Ox tow setup for towing our 2012 Equinox w/ our 2004 Itasca. $5800 and change. Does this sound about right? I was expecting it to come in around $3000. Includes the complete setup, labor and braking system.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Way to high , tow brackets less than $400, video from trailer on installation
https://www.etrailer.com/info.aspx?p...=Base%20Plates
Simple installation I have installed over 15.
Tow bar$625 https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Blue-Ox/BX7365.html
Tow lights kit $80. https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...s/HM56108.html
Toad brake system one of the best for diesel re with air is M&G at about $1000 + with breakaway kit.
For gas coaches the RVI brake3 has good reviews at $825 on eBay but normally over $1000
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RVIbr...-p/94-9196.htm

Your est of $3000 is also a little high I can't see over 4 hrs labor involved and that's being liberal.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #83

we are flat towing a 2014 Equinox, it has a terrible wobble problem if we hit a bump or frost heave in the road, have to come to a complete stop before it will quit and then we can take off again.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #84

Death Wobble

That is exactly what our 2014 LT 4 cyclinder Equinox does.

Tags
chevy