Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chevy Equinox

Anyone out there towing a Chevy Equinox? We are looking for an suv style 4 wheels down toad that also can be used for a get around town car while home. We have a Fleetwood Bounder gasser 33c. Any issues? Remo says it should be ok 4 down. I am 6'4 and the Honda crv design is a little too small for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #2

I have been towing our 2010 Equinox for about 3 years now. I have towed it 10,000+- miles so far. It is very easy to setup and I have never had any issues (KOW). Make sure you get the FWD model and not the AWD model.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

Not sure why Reubenray says not to get AWD model? We have been towing a 2012 GMC Terrain AWD which I believe is the same as the Equinox. Have had absolutely no problems with it. We used Roadmaster baseplate and towbar with M&G brake system. Did install a switch to shut off fuse rather than pulling it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post
Anyone out there towing a Chevy Equinox?
After towing 2 seat Miatas for 10 years, we recently inherited my MIL's low mileage (11K) 2011 Equinox.

I am now in the process of setting it up for flat towing for those occasions when we want a 4 seater (read - grandkids).

Because I already have the Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar for my Miata, I will use the Roadmaster 3160-1B base plate.

Months ago, when it looked as if this might happen, I bought a barely used Brake Buddy system for $100.

Being an electrical guy, I plan to wire the tail lights with individual diodes.

According to the Owners Manual, there is a proper procedure to follow before each tow. Looks easy.

While I have not actually gotten the Equinox set up yet, I have done some homework on it and I'll be glad to try to answer any questions that you may have and there are people here who are already experienced in towing the Equinox. I'm sure they will jump in.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

We tow a 2015 Equinox 4 down with the ready brake system. Ready brake has the cable surge brake system and putting on the cable system was easy. Just remove the left front tire and you have easy access to install the cable system. The cable is connected to the pedal with a snap clip. I installed a Roadmaster base plate purchased from Etrailer. They have an installation video online. We chose Roadmaster because they are the only one that makes a base plate for our Miata which I plan on setting it up to flat tow. There are instructions in the owners manual on the procedure for flat towing. Very easy to do.
We have the V6 model and have reed online about issues with the 4 cylinder model with an electric steering box. It seems there may be a problem with the front tires tracking properly while making a turn. Just an issue to be aware of.
We really enjoy the equinox. We looked at the CRV but my son could not even get into the car. A new CRV can not be flat towed because of a different transmission. The Equinox has so much more legroom, even in the back seat.
Hope this helps.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I towed a 2010 Equinox for a year and it had the dreaded oil usage problem with the 4 cyl engine that GM would not fix, this problem didnt show up on all the 4 cyl engines but I was unlucky enough to get one that had this problem. GM did a few yrs later agree to fix the problem but to late for me as rather than fight them I traded it off for a Ford Edge ( Loved the Edge) The Equinox is a fine little tow car now that the oil usage problem is solved.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Walt, Any idea how I would know what 4 cyl engine I would have the problem with? If I supplied GM with a VIN would they be able to tell?
I am looking at a 2010 Equinox DOHC 16V DI SFI I-4.

Thank you all for the feedback
Old 03-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bo I don't think that GM would acknowledge that they have a problem and I know of no way to tell. The problem we had is it didn't drink oil all the time you might go for a month with no usage then all the sudden a couple qts would disappear, the 2010 and 11 I know had this problem. If I was going to buy another 2010 or 2011 Equinox or probably any year it would be the V6. I got so tired of the BS and the stalling tactics I just gave up and took the easy way out.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Bo I don't think that GM would acknowledge that they have a problem and I know of no way to tell. The problem we had is it didn't drink oil all the time you might go for a month with no usage then all the sudden a couple qts would disappear, the 2010 and 11 I know had this problem. If I was going to buy another 2010 or 2011 Equinox or probably any year it would be the V6. I got so tired of the BS and the stalling tactics I just gave up and took the easy way out.
I have the 2011 6 cyl, AWD and it is just fine, also has plenty of leg room. tow flat with no problems and the install for towing was perfect. LA to Montana, to Idaho, to LA to sierras,to Utah......and on and on.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I tow a 2010 Eqinox with a Blue Ox Tow Bar and base plate, installed the baseplate myself. Took longer than the instructions stated. Used Ready Brake on previous toad and did not like it, wanted something more progressive. Went to the M&G air system, easy to use and complete with break away switch.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

We tow our 2015 'Nox with BlueOx, and Brake Buddy. Installed a switch to 'remove' fuse. No problems after 5800 miles.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #12

2016 AWD Equinox as toad...will it register mileage while towing?

We're going to pull this as our toad using Blue Ox and Brake Buddy. We're starting out in Fort Wayne, IN and we plan on traveling to Seattle with stops at Glacier National Park and more.

We have a 2012 Tiffin RED QSA 36 feet. I've towed trailers quite a bit in my driving experience, but I've never pulled an automobile. I have to confess that I'm a little anxious about this, but it sounds like folks are doing it with a successful result on a daily basis.

My installer set up the system so that my toad will charge from the RV as we drive. I won't be doing any "fuse pulling"...I'm supposing that my odometer is going to register my "towing"miles..It's not that big of a deal to me if it does, but I am curious...? If anyone knows, please reply...

Steve West
Fort Wayne, IN
airman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Steve I am pretty sure the mileage will not register if the key is in the acc position. The charge line is a good idea, I run one on all the toads I rig for towing the last 10 or so yrs.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #14

Chevy Equinox toad

Thanks, Walt and Will, for the info. We're going to do a "trial run" on I-69 today so we can get a feel for driving with a toad. We're anxious to try it out!

Steve West
Fort Wayne, IN
airman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy