Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chevy Equinox wiring

Just purchased 2011 Equinox for toad. Has anyone been able to install auxiliary bulbs in the tail lights to use for towing. Would rather not tie into the car systen as I have not found a good way to do it.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't there a place for diodes near the tail light assembly? That is usually the easy way.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

We have a 2010 Equinox and I wired it myself, would not pay dealership $350 to do it. I bought the Blue Ox wire kit and followed instructions. Drill a hole in tail light as directed, used silicone as directed and ran the wires underneath the car. Getting thru the firewall is the big problem but do able. Just remember when you wire the car, it is like wireing a trailer a little trailer. I also wired an extra cig. lighter to give me power for the aux. brakes, because when you pull the fuse the car lighter does not work, bought the cig. lighter with bracket at auto store. Really the Blue Ox directions are really easy to follow. When the base plate was installed the car plug is in the front of the car and just add your wires.
Good luck
Bill
Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
We have a 2010 Equinox and I wired it myself, would not pay dealership $350 to do it. I bought the Blue Ox wire kit and followed instructions. Drill a hole in tail light as directed, used silicone as directed and ran the wires underneath the car. Getting thru the firewall is the big problem but do able. Just remember when you wire the car, it is like wireing a trailer a little trailer. I also wired an extra cig. lighter to give me power for the aux. brakes, because when you pull the fuse the car lighter does not work, bought the cig. lighter with bracket at auto store. Really the Blue Ox directions are really easy to follow. When the base plate was installed the car plug is in the front of the car and just add your wires.
Good luck
Bill
I Have a 2011 with no power to even brake with fuse removed. Is your extra cig. lighter run from the battery?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by capindad1 View Post
I Have a 2011 with no power to even brake with fuse removed. Is your extra cig. lighter run from the battery?
Am working on that problem with my 2011 now. All power outlets go dead when fuse gets pulled. Trying to decide weather to rewire 1 existing outlet or to install new outlet under dash that is hot all the time.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

What I did with my No Power problem is that I went into the fuse block and found a 20amp fuse location, that is still hot, when the needed fuse has to be removed, bought a add a fuse at the auto store and ran the wire to a location on the drivers side and placed a Cig lighter bought at the auto store and mounted it on the underside of the dash out of the way. Than when we pull the needed fuse to tow the car, the Cig lighter is hot, that I ran the wire from the add a wire location . Being that the Hot fuse is a 20amp it is strong enought to run my brake control used in the car for towing.. Again this is what I did to my car and after many miles of towing it the system has worked for me..
Good luck
Bill
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
What I did with my No Power problem is that I went into the fuse block and found a 20amp fuse location, that is still hot, when the needed fuse has to be removed, bought a add a fuse at the auto store and ran the wire to a location on the drivers side and placed a Cig lighter bought at the auto store and mounted it on the underside of the dash out of the way. Than when we pull the needed fuse to tow the car, the Cig lighter is hot, that I ran the wire from the add a wire location . Being that the Hot fuse is a 20amp it is strong enought to run my brake control used in the car for towing.. Again this is what I did to my car and after many miles of towing it the system has worked for me..
Good luck
Bill
Thanks Bill, Think you just provided my solution.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Thanks Bill, Think you just provided my solution.
I just purchased a new 2011 Equinox the way I am going to solve the light problem, I am going to use the magnetic lights, just set them on the back run the wire to the plug on the motor home all done, Harbor Fraight had them on sale for nine dollars a set I got two sets just in case something happened to one. Not sure how I will solve the power problem to the Even Brake. wcombs34
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Am working on that problem with my 2011 now. All power outlets go dead when fuse gets pulled. Trying to decide weather to rewire 1 existing outlet or to install new outlet under dash that is hot all the time.
I must be pulling the wrong fuse, I just got a new 2011 Equinox LT. I pulled fuse 32 and still have power to my outlets that is the one the owners manul said to pull. wcombs34
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcombs34 View Post
I must be pulling the wrong fuse, I just got a new 2011 Equinox LT. I pulled fuse 32 and still have power to my outlets that is the one the owners manul said to pull. wcombs34
Three of us here lose power to the outlets when the 2 amp # 32 fuse is pulled. I will check the fuse number and location when car is back home to verify. Mine is also a 2011 LT1
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where did you get thrugh the firewall ? Installing the baseplates was a brease but the firewall is something else .
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SILVER View Post
Where did you get thrugh the firewall ? Installing the baseplates was a brease but the firewall is something else .
Go under the car at the transmission hump. About 12 inches from the back of the hump on the drivers side ,and about 4 to 6 inchesin from drivers side edge of the hump , there is a double wall floor. You will see a 3/8 inch square hole in the bottom floor. Drill a pilot hole thru the upper floor and you will find you will be under the center console at a place that is easy to access for wiring. After drilling out larger for the wire, paint the exposed metal, then rubber tape and silicone made a good seal. Hope this helps you.

George

Tags
wiring