Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Chevy HHR

I am looking at purchasing a Chevy HHR to tow behind my Class A motorhome. Is there anything I need to modify the car to do this or jut hook it up and go? I have heard about having to replace drive shaft ect. I'm looking for something I can just hook and go without having to add extra pumps ect.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I towed one for four years. All you have to do is remove fuse #8 ( you can buy a switch for this as it's a hassle to pull it out each time ) and put transmission in neutral and ignition on ACC. Great tow car.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

HHR

I have towed an HHR for about 5000 miles with no problems at all. It tow very easy and does not add miles on the odometer while towing. All you need to do is add the base plate, some type of aux. brake system, and rear lights. All those things are offered by several offerings. After that hook up, pull #8 fuse, check all connections, lights and head out. One of the easy ones to equip and tow. BTW, I have a Blue Ox base plate for sale should you go this direction. Good Luck
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I towed an HHR from 2006 'till I traded it off last summer. It is ,IMHO, the greatest toad ever made. Runs around 3,000#, decent size or running around in, and just hook up, trans to "N", pull #8 fuse (located on the passenger side of the center console) and go...I towed ours nearly 20,000 miles....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What does fuse #8 power?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Automatic is flat towable , is that correct?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is towable w/ auto trans.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Its a great car for towing. I used the Tow Daddy wiring harness and a charge line. With the Blue Ox bars and break, its simple to hook up. Added the fuse switch for the #8 fuse. The car is roomy for carrying extra gear. We have a Chevy Captive as well, but don't plan towing it. The HHR has more cargo space. You might need a drop receiver though, as the base plate mounts low on the front. No complaints here.....
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Chevy HHR

I have the Blue Ox tow bars, no problem at all I have been pulling it for a year now without any problem on a Class A 36 ft.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

OK, I just got an HHR to tow... whats the best way to tow,,,, stuff to get..

guess I need it all...

figured there's enough threads so I bumped this one... hope that's ok
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
OK, I just got an HHR to tow... whats the best way to tow,,,, stuff to get..

guess I need it all...

figured there's enough threads so I bumped this one... hope that's ok
Blue Ox base plate and Aventa towbar. I also use the USGear Unified Tow Brake TV-1000K.

This set-up "works fine, lasts a long time." (well, about 40,000 miles, so far)

Also added a switch to the #8? fuse, so it is easier than pulling the fuse cover and pulling and replacing each time. Bought my HHR in August,2011 and it has gone everywhere I toad it!

For me the Blue Ox system is great (caveat: it's the only system I have ever owned and the only system I know). VERY easy to connect and disconnect by myself, even when I did a dumbsh_t in a New England gas station and had to disconnect when the HHR was nearly 75-80 degrees to the motorhome. DOH!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Blue Ox base plate and Aventa towbar. I also use the USGear Unified Tow Brake TV-1000K.

This set-up "works fine, lasts a long time."

Also added a switch to the fuse, so it is easier than pulling the fuse cover and pulling and replacing each time. Bought my HHR in August,2011 and it has gone everywhere I toad it!

For me the Blue Ox system is great (caveat: it's the only system I have ever owned and the only system I know). VERY easy to connect and disconnect by myself, even when I did a dumbsh_t in a New England gas station and had to disconnect when the HHR was nearly 75-80 degrees to the motorhome. DOH!
does anyone sell a kit so to speak... I've looked around and see base plates ..no tow bar or vise versa
Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #13

We bought one of the first Chevy HHRs in 2006. When GM announced they were being discontinued my wife insisted on a 2011 HHR for her before they were gone.
The '06 we sold to friends to tow behind their MH had over 130k miles showing on odometer. Probably had an additional 40k on towbar.

Great Little Car.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

This set-up "works fine, lasts a long time."

Also added a switch to the fuse, so it is easier than pulling the fuse cover and pulling and replacing each time. Bought my HHR in August,2011 and it has gone everywhere I toad it!

That's a very nice setup. I've had that same basic setup done to five different toads (3 CRV's and 2 Wranglers) and never had a problem with it. I had mine done at an authorized Blue Ox dealer.

The rear lights on the toads were part of the Blue Ox wiring harness so the toad lights operate the same as the MH lights. No separate lights to attach to the rear of the toad and no modifications needed to the toad tail light assemblies.

All of my Blue Ox tow equipment is rated at 10K; tow bar and safety cables, even though the toads are all below 4K. I like the extra factor of safety.

Tags
chevy