Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #1

I am in the process of ordering the blue ox base plate for the HHR and I want to make sure that I don't forget to order everything that I will need. So if some one could give me a list of what I need I would be greatful. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #2

I am in the process of ordering the blue ox base plate for the HHR and I want to make sure that I don't forget to order everything that I will need. So if some one could give me a list of what I need I would be greatful. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a Blue Ox tow bar? If not you will likely need an adapter between your tow bar and the Blue Ox base plates.

Do yoou have safety chainns for the tow bar?

Are you also getting the light hook-up stuff from Blue Ox?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mtaylor05 try this link for information
2008 HHR Toad
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
paz

mtaylor05, welcome to iRV2.

It's difficult to come up with a complete "shopping list" without knowing your exact situation. Some of the things you will need are a tow bar and base plate to connect the toad to the motorhome. You will also need safety cables. An electrical cable will also be required to connect the motorhome light system to the toad. You will need auxiliary lights (magnetic), auxiliary bulbs and sockets to add to the existing toad light housings, or diodes to utilize the existing toad bulbs depending on how you decide to set up your lighting. An auxiliary brake WITH BREAKAWAY FEATURE for the toad is also highly recommended. You may also need numerous smaller items depending on the tow bar, brake system, and lighting system you choose.

If you are new to towing, please see the 2 topics (titles in bold type) at the top of the MH - Towing Issues and Toads forum titled "The Physics of Towed-Vehicle Braking" and "Tow Bar Angle and Height Difference." These articles point out some of the safety issues regarding toad braking and the importance of having your tow bar as near level as possible. You may need a drop receiver to level the tow bar. There is also a good article on the Blue Ox web site titled "Towing 101 - An Introduction to Towing with an RV".
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, I have the blue ox aladdin tow bar and safety cables. I was just hoping that I wouldn't forget to order all the other stuff I would need. How high is the tow bar off the ground. Right now I have a 8" drop receiver and hope not to have to go to a 10" drop.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mtaylor05:
How high is the tow bar off the ground. Right now I have a 8" drop receiver and hope not to have to go to a 10" drop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Blue Ox instructions for the HHR base plate give the tab height as 13.5", which is pretty low. You will need to measure the height of your receiver with your motorhome parked on level pavement and subtract the difference. The toad end should be no more than 4" lower than the motorhome.

Be careful you don't get a drop receiver that is too low or it may drag the pavement when you go up a small rise (such as when you enter a gas station) if you have a long rear overhang on your motorhome. I had a 6" drop receiver and my tow bar was perfectly level, but it dragged frequently. I went to a 4" drop and the toad end of the tow bar is now 2" lower than the motorhome end, well within the 4" maximum recommended difference.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote