Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #15

Just to compare. Look at a Honda FIT. 2500#. Can be flat towed with either transmission. Lots of leg room. We like ours a lot.

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I'm still leaning toward a dolly, the Acme in particular. It only weighs an advertised 405# and with those wide tires should be very easy to roll when needed. 80% of the places I have stayed were pull through and I had that option in some of the others. The non-modification of the car I buy to tow is a big factor to me also.
Have you ever wondered why there are so many dollies for sale, that look like new and for a very good price at that?... https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget

If you flat tow anything you'll have to install a base plate to attach the towbar, wire the coaches lights to the toad and probably have to spring for a toad braking system. Does the dolly have brakes & lights already?

Some cars can't be towed on a dolly, generally anything that is AWD.

I don't like KIA Souls either. Partial to Hondas.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Have you ever wondered why there are so many dollies for sale, that look like new and for a very good price at that?..]
Nah, I figured it out...
1. Jeeps! Great toads and not dolly towable.
2. Human nature. Seems like the flat tow would be better, without any extra equipment.

BTW, the OP already bought a nice dolly with surge disc brakes...see post #12.

Can't pick at Jeep owners. A very good vehicle that opens lots of options at the destination, but there is a small MPG penalty for spinning all that driveline metal while driving. Free wheeling hubs on all 4 wheels would be neat.

But, for those that flat tow a simple FWD car, there are several things that made me say No way. And, they all fit under the term cost...
Backingplate and installation (might include cutting the dingys facia, tow bar, wiring and brakes. Please tell me that you all use brakes...yah, I didn't think so. Then there is the mileage on the lower driveline of the dingy and possible questions about it at resale.

And, I have more than 1 dingy...my dolly carrys any and all that fit!

I love my dolly!

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Just to compare. Look at a Honda FIT. 2500#. Can be flat towed with either transmission. Lots of leg room. We like ours a lot.

I like the FIT, it is roomy and has great resale. We drove a new one about a month ago and liked the car. However; it was a noisy little devil wife and I both commented immediately about front tire noise and lots of engine noise under throttle. A new body style is coming, already available in Japan, very nice if we have not bought something by time it is released here we will try it again.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
If you flat tow anything you'll have to install a base plate to attach the towbar, wire the coaches lights to the toad and probably have to spring for a toad braking system. Does the dolly have brakes & lights already?

Some cars can't be towed on a dolly, generally anything that is AWD.

I don't like KIA Souls either. Partial to Hondas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Have you ever wondered why there are so many dollies for sale, that look like new and for a very good price at that?... https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I may regret the Dolly, but not having the need of prepping the car with brakes, plates, and all it seemed like the best choice for me. Getting the drive train off the ground was also an attractive choice. Lots of stuff seems to happen 4 down, I'm a KISS guy, whenever practical to be one.

So far as near new Dollies being plentiful: Some of the designs out there are heavy and awkward to load. You also need to manually move it around if your not in a pull through. Anyone with some physical limitations would get shy of that right quick.

If the Dolly sucks, I'll get my money back easy enough.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
I like the FIT, it is roomy and has great resale. We drove a new one about a month ago and liked the car. However; it was a noisy little devil wife and I both commented immediately about front tire noise and lots of engine noise under throttle. A new body style is coming, already available in Japan, very nice if we have not bought something by time it is released here we will try it again.
I don't find the FIT any noisier than other cars. We have a Crosstour and the engine makes more noise than the FIT. I wonder if the tires were the correct air pressure. We did try other small cars while shopping for a Toad and I know what you are going through. I tow the FIT without brakes. I am not recommending it but it works for me. My Workhorse handles it just fine both up and down hills. We are thinking about a CRV but I am worried about the extra 1000 lbs. I will say, you will be much happier overall with a flat tow instead of a dolly. I talk to a lot of folks at the campgrounds and anyone that has gone from the dolly to flat tow would spend beer money not to go back to the dolly. That is serious.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
I don't find the FIT any noisier than other cars. We have a Crosstour and the engine makes more noise than the FIT. I wonder if the tires were the correct air pressure.

Oddly; I was walking my dog about the same time you were writing this, and I heard a car coming that sounded like it was speeding (common problem). I turned to see it, and of course give them the stink eye, it was a late model Fit. The noise was all tire noise, just made it sound faster than actual, might just be Honda's choice of tires. The engine noise that I commented on is just under hard acceleration.

Around here Fits go for full sticker, the 2014 has a new look and will be the same price. So as I said earlier if I have not bought by time they are available, I will try them again. Hate to pay sticker for a year end car.

The only "foreign" car I ever owned was a 1974 Civic. Absolutely the worst car I ever owned, also the only car I ever paid sticker for. I was driving 120 miles a day, gas was going up to $1. The front fenders completely rusted through in 2 years, 2 timing belts, 2 exhaust systems, the distributer and plugs set unprotected to the front of the engine which allowed it to "ice up" in hard snow or sleet. Would pull off to the side of the Interstate wait a few minutes for it to thaw, spray everything with WD40 and go. Honda sure came a long way, by 1976 the Civics were a really good car. Back then 29MPG sure beat the Scouts mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_0050.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	47383  
Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #23

Those low rolling resistance tires several manufacturers are putting on cars today are noisier than previous OEM tires.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went to the areas volume KIA dealer today to look at some used and new Souls. I had never been near one before but was interested (wife was not). Took one for a drive and loved it. Big deal for me was entry and exit ease, I'm 6'4", 235 #'s, and 70 years old. I hate crawling in and crawling out, the KIA is easy in, easy out.

Long story short, bought me a Red, manual 6 speed. It is a new 2013, would have liked a 2014 but they are not available yet. The KIA Regional rep was there with a non-production 2014 giving the sales force indoctrination, very nice.

I did alright, 15K including all taxes, license, out the door price. Sales tax was a big chunk as I was doing an outright buy.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
... Back then 29MPG sure beat the Scouts mileage.
But, the Scout was AWESOME!!

Had a '79 ScoutII and loved it until repairs to pass SMOG inspection became too expensive . Still ran like a top at well over 200,000miles, but the replacement Catalytic Converter alone was more than the Scout was worth. With so much steel, the 345c.i. V8 would only get about 8MPG...less than my current RV does.

Best of luck with the Kia and Eze-Tow. Feel free to shoot any questions you have about the EZE-Tow...chances are I have either done it myself or heard about it.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
But, the Scout was AWESOME!!

Had a '79 ScoutII and loved it until repairs to pass SMOG inspection became too expensive . Still ran like a top at well over 200,000miles, but the replacement Catalytic Converter alone was more than the Scout was worth. With so much steel, the 345c.i. V8 would only get about 8MPG...less than my current RV does.

Best of luck with the Kia and Eze-Tow. Feel free to shoot any questions you have about the EZE-Tow...chances are I have either done it myself or heard about it.

Safe travels
Scouts were awesome, I was a manager at the IHC facility that manufactured the Scout and about 70% of the Heavy Duty Trucks. They had a program for managers on the Scouts that allowed me to lease a new one every year. I had 8 or 9 of them before they quit building them and the whole company went teats-up.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know you'll be happy having a "toad" along when you're RVing and I agree that entering and exiting your vehicle without having to be a contortionist is very important when considering possible vehicle purchases, at least it is to me! I've heard alot of nice things about varioius Kia models and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just need to add, I really like my Kia Soul. Lot's of pep, and extremely roomy. Never knew a less than 100ci engine on 4 wheels could be so much fun.

Tags
chevy, toad