Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #29

I'm in process of deciding on a toad and whether to flat tow or dolly. Now that you've got some miles under your belt, are you still as happy with the Soul and the dolly?
aaronlong71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Best luck in your toad search.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlong71 View Post
I'm in process of deciding on a toad and whether to flat tow or dolly. Now that you've got some miles under your belt, are you still as happy with the Soul and the dolly?
Love the KIA, roomy, fun to drive, consistent 30 mpg as daily driver. Still a fan of the ACME tow dolly. I understand the tow bar folks thinking: but the Acme requires no mods to the car, built in hydraulic brakes, low cost, low weight (less than 400#), stores under the rear of the MH, and you can tow anything that is OEM tow-able and within the weight limits.

Good luck!!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Love the KIA, roomy, fun to drive, consistent 30 mpg as daily driver. Still a fan of the ACME tow dolly. I understand the tow bar folks thinking: but the Acme requires no mods to the car, built in hydraulic brakes, low cost, low weight (less than 400#), stores under the rear of the MH, and you can tow anything that is OEM tow-able and within the weight limits.

Good luck!!
I had to chuckle when I read your response. I wanted to get a KIA manual transmission to tow 4-down however I lost that battle so we purchased the tow dolly to tow our current car. We decided to go with the easiest (no car mods) and what we thought was a less expensive alternative. Plus we had just recently down-sized to one vehicle and didn't want to go back to two vehicles. We are really rethinking that decision because even though our car is within all the specs for using the tow dolly, the tow dolly (as designed) does not work for our car.

Lesson learned - easiest is not always the best road to take.

I just have to say that the Acme tow dolly is an awesome tow dolly. It is relatively easy to move around, stands up in the garage, removable ramps and it's nice to be able to store it under the MH at the campground. If I had a smaller car, we would be absolutely thrilled with it.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
We LOVE our Chevy Spark as a toad...manual 5 speed, 2013 LT2 with a tow bar installed - we did have the steering wheel lock disabled and some other mods but it has our kayaks on top and bikes on the back ....works great for us.

We did get a tow dolly but changed our mind when it came to loading it up and moving it around - the ACME was beautifully built but still VERY heavy - took a loss but learned a lot. It would have been less expensive had we STARTED with the tow bar and mods to vehicle. We're moving to full time this fall so why not modify the car? Worked for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7415.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	99195  
cathydemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Dollies

Only someone using a dolly would recommend one~!
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Only someone using a dolly would recommend one~!
And, don't forget U-Haul recommending their dollies for hundreds or thousands of renters each year so the car can come along without an additional driver.

If you can flat-tow that is great. But what about owners of the LARGE MAJORITY of cars that cannot be flat towed? Would you recommend a dolly for those owners...or are they out of luck?

Safe travels

P.S. Thank you for your service
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
You are right...I rented one to move cross country once. We know snow birds that use them. I guess more of a "have too thing". But anything more then once a year would be too much for me!
Take care and Thanks
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, toad