Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I use two 1 7/8" ball hitch covers over the pin recess to give a cleaner look and keep debris out when not towing.
Nice idea.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Nice idea.
Thanks but I must admit I saw it first on Irv2.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #17

Blue Ox definitely.My hook up and unhook takes about five minutes and I've never had to move the coach to get the locks to release. Great customer service.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wrangled with the question for a while after recently purchasing a 2012 Jeep Liberty, specifically to be used as a toad.

Roadmaster is frequently on sale at CW. They most recently had a package deal for under $1,800. Their baseplates have huge ugly brackets, (only recently removable on some baseplates).

Blue Ox is frequently on sale on Amazon. Their baseplates have the most integrated design to the car it's being installed onto. The baseplate is virtually invisible on most cars once installed. The brackets are clean looking and very easy to slide and lock in place. And, Blue Ox baseplates incorporate metal tabs to mount the electrical umbilical plug, (no need to drill additional holes in your vehicle).

So, yeah, Definitely Blue Ox.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your responses! I have decided to go with Blue OX. The RV dealer is already ordering the parts!

Thanks,
Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #20

i am using roadmaster falcon all terrain towbar and rm baseplate. my comment might be biased if i'd ever make so i'll just keep it for myself i enjoy reading all of those comments, but i didn't read from anyone who had used both. i'd really like to read first hand experience or comparison.

i agree with mr d on the rm cross bar necessity. i myself is a retired engineer and i do see the value the cross bar adds.

i remember i read a story in this board on his blue ox towbar being broken on the road, and found it: Blue Ox tow bar cracked at 65mph!

in safety matter, i prefer carrying extra weight to being neat.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my book get a Blue Ox for all the reasons listed. Just take a survey, walk around the campgrounds and see which one you see the most of. The majority one that you see should tell you which one to get. Jim
Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have owned two Roadmaster Falcons ( the first one was stolen, after 7-8 years of use). Since I own the base plates I bought a used one on eBay as a replacement.

Observations:
Roadmaster. Had it break a padlock I was using for a top pin and one arm came lose going down the road. The guys who installed the baseplate had them upside down, and the tow angle was out of spec. Not the fault of the Roadmaster,

Blue Ox. We go to a rally the last three years in Louisiana, a handicapped friends wife has to connect their toad. Every year they are required to have it serviced so that she can hook it up. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I have know others who are having it factory serviced every year? Why? I've never had my Falcon"serviced".
Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #23

I have my blueox serviced every three years at the Tampa RV show. $30 is pretty cheap service and they replace and/or lube anything that's needed.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I have my blueox serviced every three years at the Tampa RV show. $30 is pretty cheap service and they replace and/or lube anything that's needed.

No offense intended .......but that's $30 I still have in my pocket.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Without a doubt, the Blue Ox. I really don't like the extra cross bar on the Roadmaster. Just another piece to disconnect and store. The Blue Ox folds up neatly out of the way on the coach and there is very little left on the front of the toad.
Paul you don't have to use the X brace on Roadmaster you can get the arms that fit in the bracket that takes a pin ( larger than blue ox) to attach the tow bar to the brackets. The X bar does give us a little more support on the larger toads.

I personally like and use a Blue Ox tow bar BX7445 but I also like the Roadmaster brackets as I believe they are more robust built and never heard of one breaking loose from a toad.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
No offense intended .......but that's $30 I still have in my pocket.
To each his or her own.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Thanks for your responses! I have decided to go with Blue OX. The RV dealer is already ordering the parts!

Thanks,
Alan & Terry
Good choice!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #28

I have a Blue Ox Alpha and before that another Blue OX towbar that I used for years. That said I have Roadmaster brackets on the Xterra and Blue Ox brackets on the wifes CRV. I liked the way the Roadmaster brackets are up high in the grill on the Xterra. No clearance issues when offroading. Point is when it comes to brackets get the ones that best fit your particular vehicle. Roadmaster makes brackets that fit the Blue Ox towbar. Not sure if Blue Ox does likewise.

PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, tow