Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Choice between Blue Ox or Roadmaster Tow Bars

Hi I am trying to decide which of the these two tow bars with base plates are the best and easiest to use.

I have 34 foot Fleetwood Storm V10 on an F53 chassis and I am going to tow a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk. I also want to use the RVi brake2 for the braking.

These are the Two I am looking at:
The Blue Ox Tow bar is the Alpha BX7365
Roadmaster Falcon All - Terrain 14-6303 522

Please give me your honest opinion on how good these two systems are and why you would choose one over the other.

Thanks,
Alan & Terry

AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Choice between Blue Ox and Roadmaster Tow Bars

Not sure if this is true of all tow bars but I have noticed that the Blue Ox systems are cleaner looking without as many parts that stick out from the towed vehicle when not being towed. The Blue Ox appears to be easier to hook up. Just my observation. I use a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate to tow our 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Can't really give an opinion on Blue Ox, but I have a Sterling and a Falcon all terrain by Roadmaster. I really like both, but the Sterling will bind sometimes when disconnecting. The all terrain not so much. I also have the SMI Stay n Play. After connecting tow bar and breakaway cable, all I need to do is flip a switch and go. I do leave the key in my toad on to power the SMI, and have never had a dead battery (yet). I do start the toad when we go into a rest area and let it run a couple of minutes while inside to circulate oil in the transmission, so that probably helps with the battery issue.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

Without a doubt, the Blue Ox. I really don't like the extra cross bar on the Roadmaster. Just another piece to disconnect and store. The Blue Ox folds up neatly out of the way on the coach and there is very little left on the front of the toad.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

I can't speak to which is better as I have only owned a Falcon All Terrain but have pulled my 2001 MDX 45K miles over 7 years without issue.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on Blue Ox per Paul's comments...towing a Jeep...les than 5 minutes to hook/unhook and a clean front-end afterward...
Old 03-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Only used Blue Ox. I am 100% satisfied with their 7365 Alpha tow bar that I have used over 10,000 miles and 1.5 years with no problems . I am 100% satisfied with the 2 different Blue Ox base plates I have used and self-installed. They are present at many large RV rallies and at Quartzite and have never charged me for minor parts like lost lock weather caps and for the black retention straps that the tow bar breakaway cables use that wear out in the weather every year or two.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #8

Blue Ox baseplate and Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. I like the idea of the extra capacity. I also use the RVI Brake2. Good unit. Great customer service. The old toad was a 2015 Cherokee Limited. Absolutely no problems towing, but since it like spending more time in Jeep's garage than mine, they bought it back. I am now setting up a 2016 Grand Cherokee. It will get a Blue Ox baseplate. The rest will move over to the new toad as well.

Blue Ox is the only equipment that I have used. Hook up is quick and easy. If it aint broke, don't fix it!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have no experience with Blue Ox other than fabbing up a mount to a buddies Jeep. I have used a Roadmaster Stowmaster for about 5 years and now a Roadmaster Sterling for the past nearly 10 years and 60k+ miles. I really like my Sterling but I custom built my attachment points on my Jeep as I don't like how any of the aftermarket mounts connect. Too intrusive to the approach angle in my opinion.

My Sterling was getting just a little stiff sliding in and out so I purchased the rebuild kits and rebuilt it a few weeks back. Now it is as good as new. I also have a youtube video of the Roadmaster Sterling if you want to check out my channel.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #10

The falcon tow bar comes with a cross bar which you do not have to use if you get the right baseplate. Road master makes two base plates for your vehicle an ez4 and ez5. The ez5 does not use the cross bar while the ez4 does. The advantage of the ez4 is that you can then use one of roadmasters rock guards. Not so with the ez5. The reason I went with an ez5 is there is one less piece of heavy gear to deal with.

On my Chevy sonic you have to look hard to see the base plate connections. Very easy to connect too.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
If you choose the RoadMaster, there is one for sale under the Classified section here at IRV2.com
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both good units. I went with RoadMaster because their factory was 20 miles from home, now they've moved and are about 11 miles away.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Without a doubt, the Blue Ox. I really don't like the extra cross bar on the Roadmaster. Just another piece to disconnect and store. The Blue Ox folds up neatly out of the way on the coach and there is very little left on the front of the toad.
From an engineering standpoint and my being a retired transportation engineer I like the added cross member. Cuts way down on the chance of the frame being twisted or bent. Yes, it's heavy, yes it's ugly but that's OK to gain the extra strength.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I agree with this post. I use the BlueOx Aventa and would not hesitate to go with BlueOx again should the need arise. The BlueOx is much cleaner and easier to store.
I use two 1 7/8" ball hitch covers over the pin recess to give a cleaner look and keep debris out when not towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	121107  

Tags
blue ox, tow