Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Lloyd in S.C."......here's another thought. I was running out of room for trailers and toys at home. We wanted to take our 1200 pound Honda VTX Cruiser with us on occasion, so I bought a folding trailer for $400.00 (new). I added some diamond plating a ramp, and some other goodies, ending up with about $700.00 when all done. I extended the tongue so that it would trail better and it worked great for years. It was close to the ground, easy to move by hand and could be folded up and stored at home, or even the campground.

I had a heavy cloth cover that I used at home for the motorcycle and covered it while towing. The cover stayed on well and didn't chaff the bike. It was a good option for us.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
Does your hitch call for weight distribution bars? You will be overweight on the trailer axles, if you haven't already bought the trailer, I would definitely go with heavier rated axles. Your other concern will be overall tongue weight in my opinion, you may have to load the motorcycles backwards and the vehicle to reduce tongue weight? I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks, Johnny, my target 10-15% tongue weight of a trailer with twin 5200# torsion axles (haven't bought it yet) and won't know about tongue weight til I get a chance to do a try for fit. Not sure about weight distribution bars. How would I know? Standard coach hitch, but reinforced. Hoping that 400HP Cummins ISL is enough hosses for the job.
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjurrens View Post
Thanks, Johnny, my target 10-15% tongue weight of a trailer with twin 5200# torsion axles (haven't bought it yet) and won't know about tongue weight til I get a chance to do a try for fit. Not sure about weight distribution bars. How would I know? Standard coach hitch, but reinforced. Hoping that 400HP Cummins ISL is enough hosses for the job.
With 400 hp you are likely in a air ride coach. You may not need a WDH as the air ride will compensate for the hitch weight.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjurrens View Post
HP isn't the issue, it will pull it, torque is what gives you the pulling power. I have a 425 and it doesn't do as well as my '99 350, but weight of the coach and the tag axle on the 425 affects some of that. Mine still pulls fine.

As respects to the weight distribution hitch, my understanding and I'm not an expert, is your hitch will tell you. I have been told by many you don't need it, but my hitch and Spartan say I do. My understanding is the reason you need weight distribution is you are moving the weight off the tongue to the front axle of your coach and to the trailer axles, reducing the weight of the tongue. I can tell you both of my coach's with weight distribution pulls like a dream and with the added sway control I have never had any issues.

My brother just bought a trailer, arrived yesterday, and he discovered what looks like a better easier weight distribution hitch than I have in my opinion.

A couple of things I like better is no bars, bars are heavy and you must store them. In addition, bars drag some time on dips. Another thing is simple and it all can stay on the trailer tongue. Just my thoughts, as many believe the air bags compensate, airbags raise the rear up to keep things level, but I don't see how this transfers any weight off the tongue? Some time if I have time I may pay to get weighed with the weight distribution on and off, then I will know?

I also just had this discussion last weekend with Blue Ox representative at KS Speedway.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 AM   #19

Johnny, I agree. I have many, many miles towing with a weight distribution hitch. They do exactly that, and the handling is much improved.

I remember back in the 70's, Reese had a commercial for their setup. A front wheel drive Toranado with no rear tires and wheels on it, towing a trailer around the parking lot with a distribution hitch! Very impressive.

I haven't used my big trailer, no need. And my little 7x12 has no need for the distribution hitch. I have 2 sets of bars, 750lb, and 1,000lb, both are too heavy for the little trailer.

L.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #20

Weight Distribution Hitch?

Thanks guys. Awesome post, Johnny. Love the embedded video. I can understand it better when I can see it. Crazy demo, Lloyd. These hitches have always had me scratching my head as to how they could possibly work.

I see another WD hitch by StrapTek, where instead of chains they use straps, and makes raising and lowering the trailer multiple times to adjust tension unnecessary. They also claim quieter because no chains. Not sure about that. Straps don't sound like they'd have the longevity of chains, especially in a tropical climate. The "no bars to stow" on this one is a great point I hadn't thought of. That's huge. At any rate, I'm putting a WD hitch on my wish list to try after I get a trailer with a few towing miles behind me.

So Spartan recommends this? Is that in the manual? Or online somewhere?

Appreciate the responses, guys. Got my cashier's check in hand, and on the way to my "new" coach tomorrow (my first Class A). First order of business: clean the roof & touch up the Dicor. Next, get her to a mechanic to replace two tires (bad tag tires will be replaced by fronts, new ones on front, the rest ok), getting two idler arms replaced along with center linkage (boots torn per my inspector), and a fresh bath of oil/filters, etc. I wanna start fresh. Otherwise, coach is really clean for its age. Off to those forums for more research! (boy, do I love irv2!). My biggest concern is doing something stupid as a newbie, or worse, NOT doing something I SHOULD be doing

Wish me luck, guys. Cheers!
Confused but confident, Gene
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tow, towing