Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 AM   #1

Class A DP, towing Large or Small trailer

As you may have already seen in other threads, we are shopping Class A DP's. Last 11 years we have had a 39' 5th wheel Toy Hauler for my motorcycles. My other "hobby" is vintange motorcycles, and for that matter I have a few new bikes we ride when traveling.

So the plan is, move to a DP, and tow an enclosed trailer for the bike, or bikes. We already own a 8.5 x 24' enclosed trailer, that we could tow to a show and take 4-5 bikes. However I was considering buying like a 7x14 trailer for vacations, when we only care to take 1 bike. Thereby avoiding towing the heavy 24' trailer.

Well, am I surprised how much the price of enclosed trailers has risen. A 7x14 trailer, of good quality, cost more than I paid for the 8.5x24 trailer I already own purchased 11 years ago! I would have to go a long ways and consume a lot of fuel towing that bigger heavier trailer to recoup the $3-4,000 dollar cost of a 7x14.

Thoughts on this? Is it a major pain to tow a 24' trailer behind a 40' rv? Of course we will need 65 to 70' sites, and I will feel silly towing a 24' trailer with 1 bike, but maybe I just need to get over that? I am coming to the conclusion that it may not be worth the expense and effort to have another trailer and have the option of being 10' shorter overall length.

We have a 2 week trip planned this summer to Colorado, going to take one bike for day trips exploring the Rockies,,, I may just rent a Uhaul trailer.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #2

Renting would be the cheapest option. We tow our trike in an enclosed 14' trailer. You certainly wouldn't need a 24' trailer for one or two bikes. Also, check craigslist for your area.

Bike safely,
Alex
Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would keep the 24 ft and think of it as a really nice traveling garage, or put a jeep/S-10 PU in there with the bikes.? Good luck.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Used trailers

eBay used trailers

Back in 1991 I had a custom enclosed 14' Chariot made for my bikes.
It cost me $2,500. Sure it would be much more today.
I sold that trailer after 20 years of use in 2011 for $1,400
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Yes, whatever I do, going to keep my 24' trailer, have not tried it but I think my Ford Focus and my bike would fit in it, and be under the GVW rating. However I am more likely to fill it with bikes. I have a disorder, "Multiple Bike" disorder.

No known cure.

L.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Yes, whatever I do, going to keep my 24' trailer, have not tried it but I think my Ford Focus and my bike would fit in it, and be under the GVW rating. However I am more likely to fill it with bikes. I have a disorder, "Multiple Bike" disorder.

No known cure.

L.
How much does the trailer weigh? I have an 8 x 20' enclosed trailer (10,000#gvw) that weighs around 2500# empty. Typically carry 2 dirt bikes and 2 quads + fuel. Equipped with a workshop (air compressor, bench, tools, etc). Total it weighs in at ~4500#. Have towed it for the last 10 years with a Class A gasser with no problem whatsoever. Total length rig + trailer is about 58' and it tow's down the highway very nicely. With a 24' box you'll probably be skirting the legal length limit in some states (65' in CA as I recall) and you will have to pick your fuel stops carefully. BTW - I have MBD as well It's a dangerous mallady!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

I would think you could find a good used 7 x 14 for this purpose for not a lot of money ....as for pulling ... its almost like they're not even back there .... the size of coach and HP of course come into play ... our set up works well for us ... and other then feeling the additional weight .... a follows us around quite well ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
How much does the trailer weigh? I have an 8 x 20' enclosed trailer (10,000#gvw) that weighs around 2500# empty. Typically carry 2 dirt bikes and 2 quads + fuel. Equipped with a workshop (air compressor, bench, tools, etc). Total it weighs in at ~4500#. Have towed it for the last 10 years with a Class A gasser with no problem whatsoever. Total length rig + trailer is about 58' and it tow's down the highway very nicely. With a 24' box you'll probably be skirting the legal length limit in some states (65' in CA as I recall) and you will have to pick your fuel stops carefully. BTW - I have MBD as well It's a dangerous mallady!
Pbdblue, not sure what my trailer weighs, should probably get it on the scales. More specifcally, it is a 20' trailer, with a V nose. Inside demension from the V to the door is like 23'9". Of course the trailer is a little longer overall. Going to get a tape on it this evening. The trailer was sold as a car hauler, 10,000 lb GVW. It tows very nicely behind my Superduty. A bit heavy duty for hauling bikes, but I like having the option, have used it 2-3 times for a car.

I think I may try this setup, and see how it goes. We have a trip planned to Colorado this summer, would like to take my Goldwing as our toad, and my XR650L so I could sneak away and find a few dirt roads.

L.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Just know your 24' trailer puts you over the 65-foot limit many states have. A 24' trailer is closer to 28' overall length. This is seldom enforced for RVs in most states.

7' shorter probably has little impact on where you can camp. If a 17' trailer fits, a 24' probably will too. Of course, a longer trailer is easier to back.

What ever you choose, make sure the MH you're considering is capable of supporting the added weight.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a 24' v nose trailer, I can put my Harley in sideways in the front and a vehicle behind it. I like the convenience of having a vehicle with me if weather dictates, or DW can go her way if I'm doing my thing on the bike. Of course we also can take multiple bikes and no car, but I would think you will find it easier to just have the one trailer?
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep the car hauler and take the two bikes or a bike and the car.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Pbdblue, not sure what my trailer weighs, should probably get it on the scales. More specifcally, it is a 20' trailer, with a V nose. Inside demension from the V to the door is like 23'9". Of course the trailer is a little longer overall. Going to get a tape on it this evening. The trailer was sold as a car hauler, 10,000 lb GVW. It tows very nicely behind my Superduty. A bit heavy duty for hauling bikes, but I like having the option, have used it 2-3 times for a car.

I think I may try this setup, and see how it goes. We have a trip planned to Colorado this summer, would like to take my Goldwing as our toad, and my XR650L so I could sneak away and find a few dirt roads.

L.
Mine is not a vnose so probably about the same total length - ~24'. My coach is only 33' + so roughly 58' total. I've never heard of anyone being hassled about the length limit. If it's close are they going to measure it? I doubt it.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Mine is not a vnose so probably about the same total length - ~24'. My coach is only 33' + so roughly 58' total. I've never heard of anyone being hassled about the length limit. If it's close are they going to measure it? I doubt it.
We'll, I'm glad to hear yet again that folks are not getting hassled about combined length. I'm finalizing the purchase of a 43' Newmar mountain aire DP with a tag axle & reinforced 10K# hitch & we're planning on towing a 26' enclosed car hauler. I know I'll be a bit over length. I can live with that. I've talked to several owners who have been running 70 to 80' rigs for years without incident in every state except California.

Having said that, I'm very interested in the experience of others with a similar rig. I know, for example, nothing about brake controllers in coaches and advice there would be appreciated.

I'm a subscriber to "Big Rig Best Bets", and I'm guessing I'll become very familiar with campground staging areas. OK. And I'll be looking for 80-90' sites. Also OK.

I should be OK on GVWR (43000#) & GCVWR (53000#) too. We 'll be towing our car (4000#), 2 motorcycles (1500#) & the trailer (3500#) with two 5200# axles with electric brakes on both axles.

DOES THIS ALL COMPUTE WITH YOU GUYS? What am I missing? I always have been a "bigger is better" guy. Can you tell?

Thanks for any help gang. Gene
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjurrens View Post
We'll, I'm glad to hear yet again that folks are not getting hassled about combined length. I'm finalizing the purchase of a 43' Newmar mountain aire DP with a tag axle & reinforced 10K# hitch & we're planning on towing a 26' enclosed car hauler. I know I'll be a bit over length. I can live with that. I've talked to several owners who have been running 70 to 80' rigs for years without incident in every state except California.

Having said that, I'm very interested in the experience of others with a similar rig. I know, for example, nothing about brake controllers in coaches and advice there would be appreciated.

I'm a subscriber to "Big Rig Best Bets", and I'm guessing I'll become very familiar with campground staging areas. OK. And I'll be looking for 80-90' sites. Also OK.

I should be OK on GVWR (43000#) & GCVWR (53000#) too. We 'll be towing our car (4000#), 2 motorcycles (1500#) & the trailer (3500#) with two 5200# axles with electric brakes on both axles.

DOES THIS ALL COMPUTE WITH YOU GUYS? What am I missing? I always have been a "bigger is better" guy. Can you tell?

Thanks for any help gang. Gene
Does your hitch call for weight distribution bars? You will be overweight on the trailer axles, if you haven't already bought the trailer, I would definitely go with heavier rated axles. Your other concern will be overall tongue weight in my opinion, you may have to load the motorcycles backwards and the vehicle to reduce tongue weight? I hope it all works out for you.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tow, towing