Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class A Gas and Towing limitations

Everyone,

I've been going crazy the past couple days trying to figure this out. What I'm trying to find is a Class A, Gas, 1+ slides that has a towing range big enough to tow our 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlmited. The Jeep has a curb weight of 4097lbs which I don't think is that heavy, but everything I've been seeing is that these class A's all have a tow weight of like 4k.

You guys have any brands, years, makes, models of RV's that would have a 5k towing range? I know it's not a power issue, it's a weight issue. Wife and I are looking to spend 30 - 40k on something a little newer that we will feel comfortable towing our Jeep to like Florida and back.

Or, should we just bite the bullet and pick up a diesel? We can find some early 2000's diesel pushers between the 35 - 55k range. Then we don't need to worry about it, and off we go!

Thanks in advance for the discussion!
JBro

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class A Gas and Towing limitations

Most gassers of fairly recent vintage will handle it. Ford v10 or GM 8.1 with appropriate ~20k+ chassis. We have a ~5000 lb jeep that we drag all over the west and southwest.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
vsheetz, I was reading another thread, saw a post and your sig and was about ready to PM you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been looking at gassers with a GCVW of 22,000 lbs and a GVW of 18,000lbs Wouldn't that tell me that I only have 4,000 lbs available for a toad? Or am I assuming to much from the brochures and should be asking the dealers/private parties to be sending me pictures of the weight specifications on each RV I'm interested in?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All is not lost!!! You have three possible choices. All three choices must have at least a 5K rated hitch installed. You may want to weigh your Jeep...the newer Wranglers are a lot heavier than the old TJ's, especially the Unlimited models.

1. Find a 20K GVWR (20.5 Ford, 20.7 WH) chassis, which has a 26K GCWR.

2. Find a 24K GVWR chassis, which has a 30K GCWR.

3. Find a 22K GVWR chassis, which has a 26K GCWR. Weigh the MH, loaded for travel, to see where it sits. You can tow the difference of the GCWR and the actual weight or 4K if you're at max GVWR.

Personally, I would look at floor plans that suit the intended use (full time, snowbird, etc.) and then build quality before I worried about towing ability.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

Allegro 36LA is built in a 24K chassis with a 30K GCVWR and a tow rating of 5K. Well with in the limits.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rockwood, thanks for the info. Right now the main issue is towing, we have two late 2000's vehicles and don't want to go in and buy a 3rd vehicle simply to tow with (even though this would probably be the cheapest route). Our current Rig doesn't have a slide, but we were cool with it, a little tight but mostly weekend warrior stuff right now, but the wife wants to start taking some much longer trips, maybe a week or two week trip once a year. That requires some type of vehicle in tow.
I'm not sure if I shouldn't just go a little older diesel. I see lots of sigs here with people driving 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 diesels. Then if we want to do any mountain climbing we'll be set.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were close to retirement age I would definitely be looking at diesels, thinking I'd have the free time to travel and make the extra maintenance costs of a diesel worth it. But if retirement is still off into the future for some time I'd go with the gasser. You'll find many that are able to pull your Jeep, and the maintenance costs of a gasser are much less than a diesel. Diesels are meant to be run, being parked for most of the year is harder on a diesel than a gasser. We love our gasser and it pulls our Captiva (3700lbs) easily. We can only do weekend trips and a couple week or 2 week vacation trips a year for now, but when I retire we hope to move up to a diesel for extended travels. So I guess what I'm trying to say is how close to retirement are you?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty far from retirement yet, (only 35). I think I was just frustrated with what I was finding and I need to slow down a bit. Just so excited. So many used rvs , so little time and money

Tags
class a, gas, tow, towing