Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl2u View Post
No upgrades! I just did a little research and I would say yes we definitely need sway bars, with or without toad! Hubby was planning on looking into upgrading the springs as he thought that was the primary difference in 350 & 450 model trucks; assuming the E is the same. Another reason for downsize was me potentially agreeing to help drive; so far when semi’s pass us on the turnpike I am not interested in driving it at all. Lol Great suggestion ; the numbers match up for towing the truck but the experience did not. So maybe sway bars would help; nothing to lose there since truck is set up and ready to go. Pretty sure we have owned every RV know to man but a Class C; and we kind of thought maybe that was just part of it. As far as four wheel down, it should be like dragging a wagon. The problem with getting speed up was due to the sway which was much worse with the truck back there. Definitely going to pursue that improvement asap! Thanks! Then after that; maybe a Kia . Our daughter has one and loves it. I looked around at Jeeps today and I see they are just as proud of them as they were when we bought ours in 2004; new or used. Lol
Don't forget about the alignment, either. From the factory, these things have nowhere near enough caster angle. Which means it doesn't really have a tendency to drive straight. User Harvard has a massive thread where he explains the benefits of getting it adjusted, and it mirrors my experiences. I went from white-knuckled all the time to one-handed unloaded with just that modification. I think both the alignment and sway bars are necessary if a person is willing to spend the money to be able to relax behind the wheel of these things. That being said, it's my first motorhome, although I'm used to towing.

After these fixes, I finally figured out how uncomfortable the stock seats were for me. Before the modifications, I was so tense I hadn't noticed. Hopefully your C has reasonable front seats.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #16

Oh, and everyone seems to absolutely love the newer Wranglers and their newfound comfort. But since you'd still need to do the handling upgrades, I'd start there. Oh, and tell your husband not to skimp on the red loctite when he's putting the sway bar end links in. Ford seems to have carefully designed them to not be able to get the torque they spec out. So, when my Winnie got particularly squirrelly in the 25 mph headwind I had last trip, I pulled over and checked it out. And figured out my front sway bar had become disconnected. No big deal, and it was an easy fix. But I'm pretty good at "improving" stuff, only to find out I need to fix my "improvement".

Tags
class c, toad