Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #1

I have 05 Class C Gulfstream with 6.8 liter V10 with lockout for towing (button in end of shift). Gets 9 1/2 mpg. I want to tow the max, a 02 Toyoto tundra sr5 v8 (5000 lbs with tools and gas). Before I modify it, has anyone ever pulled 5000 lbs any distance with a class c 6.8 ford? Can I do it without destroying my milage? Ford and people that work with this size truck say it can be done but I need to know from someone who has the actual experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #2

I have 05 Class C Gulfstream with 6.8 liter V10 with lockout for towing (button in end of shift). Gets 9 1/2 mpg. I want to tow the max, a 02 Toyoto tundra sr5 v8 (5000 lbs with tools and gas). Before I modify it, has anyone ever pulled 5000 lbs any distance with a class c 6.8 ford? Can I do it without destroying my milage? Ford and people that work with this size truck say it can be done but I need to know from someone who has the actual experience.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #3

We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee that weights about 4500 Lbs or so and is loaded with a three wheel cart that adds about another 150 lbs. This is towed behind a 2000 Minie 27' witht the same engine. We get about 8.5 miles per gal on the averaqe and have no trouble going up mountain passes with the Jeep in tow. Make sure your towing equipment is rated for the weight. We had to have the unit towing equipment up graded as the set up that came from the factory was only rated for 3500 lbs. We tow 4 down.

Adjuster
Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #4

I would check the hitch rating ... most are only rated at 5,000 pounds and if yours is I would seriously consider going to a higher rated hitch ... as for towing, certainly going to slow you down on grades but should be ok ..

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might also note that Ford reqires supplemantal brakes on the towed load if it is over 1500#, so you will need a brake system on the dinghy.

Ken
Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would be exceptional for a 2005 Class C towing to have a tow limit of greater than 3500 lbs, which part of the reason we ended up with a Class A. Better check the manual.

Also, just because the hitch says 5000 lbs doesn't mean the chassis can handle it. They have to put extensions on the frame and they may be limited to 3500 lbs.

The V10 can handle the weight, the F53 Class A's don't have a problem with it. The issue is the strength of the chassis and frame extensions.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote