Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 AM   #1
RV LIFE Support Team

Clevis Pins

DH, who is very security conscious, wants to put hardened shackle Master Lock in place of the clevis pins on the toad. I don't think this is safe and the locks will break. Comments please.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make lockable clevis pins for this situation. I'm not saying the locks are not any good but the pins are made for the job at hand. You can purchase them at WalMart, Harbor Freight or any automotive store. Just make sure you purchase the correct diameter pin. Google lockable hitch pins and you can see the various ones that are available. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
DH, who is very security conscious, wants to put hardened shackle Master Lock in place of the clevis pins on the toad. I don't think this is safe and the locks will break. Comments please.
Not a great picture but I have used these same Master Locks to secure the ends of my towbar pins for over 10 years and probably 75,000 mi on three different toads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	106133  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Sue,
I'm assuming that you are saying that, your Huz wants to replace the pins, that couple the tow bar to the base plate, with LOCKS, correct? If that's the case, in my opinion and, others on here, that's kind of a bad idea. The one primary reason is, if anything should happen to your coach while driving it and you're hooked up to your toad, and it starts to smoke and or worse, CATCH FIRE, for some god-forsaken reason, then you (or I should say YOUR DH) would have to fumble with keys to get those locks un-done and, all the rest of the tow hookup equipment.

But, if there are just pins, you can release those instantly and, you'd have a way better chance of detaching your toad, and get it to a safe place, away from your coach.

Now, some on here believe that locking the toad to the coach is the only way to go. Well, who am I to judge? It's theirs, if they choose to do so, and anything should happen, even the reverse scenario, where the toad catches fire and, you need to get the coach away from it rapidly.

One thing you may ask is: "Well, how often does a scenario of either catch on fire and, you need to break away the other?" Well, it's happened, and more times than we all know. There's pictures floating around on here of a recent event where one did catch fire. There are some on here that would not bother attempting to disconnect one from the other, while one was burning or heavily smoking. They feel the risk is too great.

Well, that's entirely up to them. But, a calculated risk is seen here. And each situation can, and will be different. Each person would have to make that decision if, and when it might happen.

Anyway, just some food for thoughts here. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

I think his main concern is that we can't lock the car. It is a Honda CRV and will not lock with a key in the ignition for towing. I did lock it once by getting in the passenger side and pushing the button. Bad idea. Could not unlock it and had to get someone out to unlock it, didn't take long(15-30 secs). That was an eye opener in itself. Maybe I can talk him into just one lock instead of 2. I'll keep working on him and I agree with the comments I have seen from the forum.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #6

I found the best places for hitches, pins, and towing ideas and items is at the farm stores - TractorSupply, etc... because so many of the farmers haul trailers and vehicles of all sorts, they tend to carry MANY items that you might not have even considered.
I found my replacement toad pins there - and the one with no need for an additional locking pin, it has it's on built in device to secure the pin once inserted. Much quicker and easier.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

I am with the DH. A few years ago, someone helped themselves to both of the spring pins that hold the clevis pins in place. Since then, I have used blue ox locking pins. It only takes a few more seconds to unlock them.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Sue,
I'm assuming that you are saying that, your Huz wants to replace the pins, that couple the tow bar to the base plate, with LOCKS, correct? If that's the case, in my opinion and, others on here, that's kind of a bad idea. The one primary reason is, if anything should happen to your coach while driving it and you're hooked up to your toad, and it starts to smoke and or worse, CATCH FIRE, for some god-forsaken reason, then you (or I should say YOUR DH) would have to fumble with keys to get those locks un-done and, all the rest of the tow hookup equipment.

But, if there are just pins, you can release those instantly and, you'd have a way better chance of detaching your toad, and get it to a safe place, away from your coach.

Scott
I admit I don't have any studies to back me up on this, but I think there is a greater chance of pins coming out, either accidently on their own or through vandalism, than of the RV or toad catching fire and trying to disconnect them in a hurry. In fact in that scenario I'm not going to be trying to disconnect, I'm going to be getting away, far, far away, letting my insurance settle everything, including replacing the toad along with the RV.
For that reason I use padlocks on our clevis pins just like pictured above. Now I have no worries as to whether anyone is messing with our hookups when we're not nearby.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I know of a situation where the guy put locks every place he could on the tow bar. The toad caught fire and because of the locks, the toad and motorhome went up in flames.

No locks for me
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had pins removed from a utility trailer at a Home Depot some years back but caught it in time. There were some young "adults" watching me too intently as I got ready to leave so I checked the connections. Sure enough one of the clips had been removed and they were waiting to see what happened. Now I have keyed alike Master locks where ever a pin could be removed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #11
RV LIFE Support Team

I am going to try to talk him into only one lock rather than 2. I think that is going to be the best I am going to get.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 09-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #12
Community Administrator

I had three locking pins. One for the tow bar to receiver and two for the tow bar to the car.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the event of a fire. either vehicle, no padlocks gives you a chance to drop and get outta there with the one not burning.. Thus saving you a set of wheels.

Padlocks may get you .. burned.

That's all I can say.. I use padlocks on some pins, but not all, (I've had a pin come loose.. I **THINK** I know why (Accident) but the pins on the towed have never done this. Only the receiver pin on the drop hitch adapter, that's the one I padlock.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sue,
Have you tried locking the car by putting the key into the door lock and turning it? That is the way our friend's Honda will lock and unlock while having a key in the ignition. Our Scion also works this way.