Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Collar for Hitch Receiver Tube

Its somewhat hard to see in this photo but the reinforcing collar around the end of the hitch receiver tube is missing. Has any of you ever replaced this collar? if so where can you get one? I assume it is important to have it replaced because every receiver tube I have ever seen has it so must be a critical component of the the hitch. It was missing when I bought the coach a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap010.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	63461  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #2

Since you're in Manitoba, you never know what you find at Princess Auto, but it could be easier to find a piece of heavy gauge square tubing cut an inch off or so and have it welded on and spray painted. Can probably be done at any welding shop in less than an hour.
John
Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Its somewhat hard to see in this photo but the reinforcing collar around the end of the hitch receiver tube is missing. Has any of you ever replaced this collar? if so where can you get one? I assume it is important to have it replaced because every receiver tube I have ever seen has it so must be a critical component of the the hitch. It was missing when I bought the coach a year ago.
jarweibe,
For most home fabricators, this project of adding the collar would be almost childs play. But, for folks that may not have the equipment, area to work, and or, skills to do a small project like this, and, coupled with the fact that you may live in an area where metal and steel sales may be rare, even a small project like this may be quite costly.

It's too bad you're not in the our area, I'd have the collar on there in about 10 minutes just 'cause it would be fun. But, back to reality, the inside dimension of that is normally 2". And, the wall thickness is in most cases, 3/16" to 1/4" thick. That puts the outside dimension at real close to 2 3/8" - 2 1/2". That being said, you'd need a collar that's cut off of piece of tubing that has that interior dimension of around, 2 1/2". I just went out and looked at ours and, it's the 3/16" wall thickness version. And, the collar is 1/4" wall thickness.

So, most likely, without actually measuring yours, I'd say you need a piece of tubing with interior dimensions of 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 3/4" long. Most metal supplies places would probably give that to you or, at the least, charge $5.00 or so. Now, it's getting it welded that could be a problem. Again, if you don't have the welder, the skills, the area to do the work etc., then you're at the mercy of what ever welding shop you can hunt down.

But, I'm just wondering, what caused it to "fall off" in the first place. Most are welded on pretty substantially. And, in case you're not aware of it, there's some precautions to take, prior to any welding on your coach. ALL the negative cables on the batteries, (all the batteries) need to be removed. This helps prevent spiking of electricity into vital components. And, as long as the ground clamp for the welder is placed as close to what's being welded as possible, you will have no issues with spiking.

Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the detailed information Scott. I am at the mercy of others when it comes to metal work. But your instructions will be of great help.

By looking at the hitch it appears like the collar only had 2 short (maybe 1 inch at the most) welds holding it in place, one on top and one on bottom. Don't know how it came off (it was off when I purchased the coach).
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

Any hitch specialty shop should be able to help you with this.
The re-enforcement collar is to prevent the corners of the main tube from cracking . If cracking has started a hitch shop may rec-commend replacement.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't forget to inspect all of the rest of the welds on the receiver. You may have gotten one made on a Monday/Friday or by a new welder and it got past hitch mfr inspection.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote