Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #127

Freightliner Owners Club
No matter how hard I tried to follow the owners manual my Canyon refused to shift to neutral. Here is what finally worked:
- Prepare Canyon for towing:
- Put key in Run position with engine Off.
- Set parking brake.
- Put transmission in Neutral.
- Rotate transfer case shift knob to N and hold in position (do this without hesitation, no sounds will be heard, after about 15 seconds the N will illuminate).
- Release parking brake, start engine, put transmission in Reverse, verify vehicle will not move.
- Turn engine Off.
- Put transmission in Park (engine is not running or will grind).
- With engine Off put key in Run position to unlock steering (leaving the key in place).
- VERIFY: N is illuminated on transfer case knob, transmission is in Park, key is in Run position, parking brake is Off.
- Open hood, disconnect battery, close hood.
- Tie a flag at 12 o'clock on steering wheel to indicate vehicle is towable.

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #128

Thanks Mike. Do you use a cutoff switch or actually disconnect the cable? How about a supplemental braking for Canyon? Any problem with battery going dead while towing and supplemental system on?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #129

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Thanks Mike. Do you use a cutoff switch or actually disconnect the cable? How about a supplemental braking for Canyon? Any problem with battery going dead while towing and supplemental system on?
A knife switch was installed on the negative battery terminal for disconnecting. I chose the Ready Brake Elite tow bar. Also use Ready Brake cable systems for both supplemental braking and breakaway. The base plate is Blue Ox and the tail lights are the Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit. It took about two days to install everything. Since the tail lights are powered by the RV there is no need for any battery use of the Canyon.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1429789325

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1429789325
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	92317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	92318  

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #130

Just wondering, I note the accessory position is not labeled, are we to leave key in position (accessory or the next detent before starting). I find the instruction in my owners manual confusing to say the least, especially when it refers you back to another chapter in the middle. I dont have a supplement to the manual,Mike, your instruction is lots clearer. Also, funny looking negative connection on battery, short cable. I have the 4 cyl. Engine. Curious as to what others have done.

Carl
Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #131

Oops, forgot to mention mine is a Colorado, but I believe they are twins. Sorry for any confusion.

Carl
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #132

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
Just wondering, I note the accessory position is not labeled, are we to leave key in position (accessory or the next detent before starting). I find the instruction in my owners manual confusing to say the least, especially when it refers you back to another chapter in the middle. I dont have a supplement to the manual,Mike, your instruction is lots clearer. Also, funny looking negative connection on battery, short cable. I have the 4 cyl. Engine. Curious as to what others have done.

Carl
I leave the key in the Run position with the engine off. This way the key cannot fall out and the steering is unlocked. My Canyon is a six cylinder and the negative battery cable has a 90 degree end with a stud for a small wire connection. The knife switch I used is:

http://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20138-...t+knife+switch

I had to disassemble the knife switch and swap the ends to put the male end on the left side instead of the right. The small wire had to be lengthened to attach.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Just a thought. With the transmissions in neutral, the speed sensors for the ECM may not be available and the electric steering assist may be technically crippled or confused. Removing power to it assures there will be no arguments between computer controls.
Transmission is left in PARK - only the Transfer case is left in Neutral. Regardless of the reason why, GM is pretty adamant about doing all the steps the way they say, on the 2015's.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Unless the Canyon is different from the Colorado - Engine running, parking brake set, transmission in Neutral. Rotate the transfer case selector knob clockwise until it stops and hold it there until the N light starts to flash. Then slowly release the T case selector knob. N light will stop flashing and will glow steadily. Put trans in Park, turn engine off, and release Parking brake.
Actually, the updated directions require some additional steps. And giving enough time for the various steps is critical.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #135

Per GM doc.# 3972883: (truncated for forum, but key steps noted)

Ensure Parking Brake is applied;
Start Engine and Shift Transfer Case to Neutral;
Check to ensure Transfer Case is in Neutral by shifting back and forth between Drive and Reverse verifying no movement of vehicle;
With Transmission in Drive, turn Ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY;
Shift Transmission to Park and Turn Ignition to OFF;
WAIT 30 SECONDS;
Start Engine and Shift Transmission to Drive, ensuring Transfer case is still in Neutral (no movement);
With Transmission in Drive, turn Ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY;
Disconnect Negative Battery Cable;
Shift Transmission to Park.
Release Parking Brake;
Keep Key in ACC/ACCESSORY position and ensure steering wheel can move;
END.

These instructions apply to the 2015 Colorado and Canyons with the NQ6 Transfer Case, the 2015 Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukons, and Escalades with the NQH transfer case.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #136

Thanks guys, DW and I were unhappy, to say the least, with the complexity and confusion involved with hooking up the truck. We feel better about it now, good job with explaining and clarifying. Regarding battery disconnect switch, we were told it was ok to attach to pos. terminal if caution was used. (Relative advice). Me thinks not ok.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
Thanks guys, DW and I were unhappy, to say the least, with the complexity and confusion involved with hooking up the truck. We feel better about it now, good job with explaining and clarifying. Regarding battery disconnect switch, we were told it was ok to attach to pos. terminal if caution was used. (Relative advice). Me thinks not ok.
There's far less cables connected on the Negative side, so it's the easiest to install a knife switch to. I moved the battery forward one "notch" - the battery is small enough and the tray big enough and moving it forward gives you the room you need to install the knife switch without having to disconnect any other wiring (there is a small wire attached to a post on the negative cable end). Yes, if you're careful you won't spark using the positive able, but why disconnect one that is more trouble to disconnect?
As for complexity and confusion, yes, compared to other Toads I've towed over the years, this one is has the most steps - but once you do it once or twice it's no big deal. I actually rewrote the instructions using a larger font so I can see it in the dark (and without readers) and so the language is easier to understand (not so complicated and not referring me to another chapter in the manual) and laminated that to keep in the truck for ease of use.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
Per GM doc.# 3972883:
Can you tell me more about this document? Is this a supplement to the owner's manual? Where did you locate it or how did you receive it? The only instructions I have are in my owner's manual and when I google GM document 3972883 I don't find anything. Don't misunderstand, I'm not doubting you. I'm just wondering if there's some supplemental info not contained in my owner's manual that GM should have sent me.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when I took delivery of my Canyon the owners manual had a supplement sheet in it (build date oct/nov time frame). The part # for the supplement Dinghy tow instructions was #23282109. When I went in for my first service, the dealer looked in the system and could not find anything in reference to that #. He printed off a current document ID # 3971980 on Dinghy towing. I eed to sit down and look at the exact difference between the three references.

Durango32, Did you make those short instructions for the removal also?

Bob
majfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #140

The GM document I referred to is Service Information a service dept should be able to access. It's in regard to the Canyon/Colorado Service Manual 7527683, and is PIP5217A. It notes it supersedes and you are to discard PIP5217.
It begins...(following is a cut-and-paste)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a service 4wd message and the transfer case is stuck in neutral. This condition only occurs when the customer dinghy tows the vehicle or sets the vehicle up for dinghy towing and disconnects then reconnects the battery as outlined in the owner’s manual. Technician will find a c0398 stored in the TCCM (transfer case control module).

Recommendation/Instructions
Verify that the customer has dinghy towed the vehicle or set the vehicle up for dinghy towing as outlined in the owner’s manual and then disconnected the battery with the transfer case in neutral. If the vehicle has a c0398 after this type of procedure clear the diagnostic trouble code and return the vehicle to the customer with a copy of this pi. An owner’s manual supplement will be sent to owners to include steps 5.1 - 5.4. If a customer happens to call your dealership indicating that the transfer case is stuck in neutral after dinghy towing and cannot be shifted out of neutral accompanied with a service 4wd message in the DIC, the following sequence will restore transfer case shifting.

1. With the ignition in the RUN position and engine not running,
2. Open the hood and remove the 30 Amp TREC fuse in the under hood fuse block,
3. Reinstall the 30 amp fuse
4. Continue with "Shifting out of neutral" in the owner’s manual.

Note: Removing the TREC fuse with the key on may cause additional messages to appear on the DIC including service StabiliTrak. After the transfer case is shifted out of neutral turn the vehicle off, restart the vehicle and those messages should not reappear.

End cut-and-paste.
The directions I posted earlier are then listed in a little more complicated/lengthy language, as to how you should prepare the vehicle for dinghy towing.
When I first towed mine, I was unable to get it out of Neutral after towing, so took it to the dealer where the service writer and I were able to get it out of Neutral after he spoke with the service manager - but they did not have this document and I did not retain any error codes. I continued to experience intermittent problems until I got this GM document and began following it's directions for preparing the vehicle for dinghy towing.
At the end of the document it notes:
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Unsure of what poster MAJFRIZZ means by "did I make those short instructions for the removal also", unless you mean instructions for restoring the operation after disconnecting the towed vehicle - if so, then I put this together from directions obtained from GM but not in a formal document:

1. Set the parking brake, apply the brake pedal, and ensure the transmission is in P (Park).
2. Connect the battery and wait for all self-checks to complete and dash functions to light.
3. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine OFF.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Turn the transfer case knob to 2WD. After the transfer case has shifted out of N (Neutral), the N (Neutral) light will go out.
6. Release the parking brake and start the engine, selecting the desired gear.

The document I copied does not have instructions for restoring the operation, but the owners manual that came with the vehicle, and the subsequent amendment, combined with the communication from GM, supports those 6 steps directly above. I was told the key step is to make sure to give step 2 sufficient time to power up - they think perhaps my troubles were due to going through those steps too fast.

Tags
colorado