Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #155

I have made several trips towing the Colorado after installing the battery disconnect with no issues. But I have not towed more than one day without disconnecting the toad. My previous toads if I did not disconnect the toad each day I would run the engine and run through all the gears before pulling out the second day. Based on majfrizz issues I will continue this practice.
majfrizz thanks for the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #156

Thanks red Colorado, I currently do the same thing with my Saturn. I will continue that practice as well after delivery of my new Canyon.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #157

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today I tried a complete shut down and restart still nothing on the radio or backup camera. I called a local dealer and he told me there is an update for the radio interface preventing it from shutting down ge thought this could be my gremlins. He is going to look at it monday. I am going to double check all fuses later. Right now enjoying the weather at Charlotte speedway.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #158

Thanks for the update. We are north of you in VA, near Fort Lee. Also enjoying wonderful weather. Looking forward to your post on Monday with an update.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #159

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
here is the picture with the Canyon on our first day of FT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day One.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	93894  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #160

Man that is one nice looking rig. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Man that is one nice looking rig. Thanks for sharing the photo.
+1. And congrats on going FT.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #162

I believe the message to roll the window up/down is just to calibrate the auto up/down feature of the power window.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just got the truck back from the dealer. had both them and GMC puzzled. they reprogrammed radio and all worked. they have been told that happens when you put a vehicle in storage for more than 15 days with battery disconnected, but not for the 30plus hours I had it hooked up. and everything all worked. lesson learned-go thru restart at the end of each day of travel. the radio programming recall was not on my VIN. they did due two other campaigns (14818) reroute body wire harness causing wire rubbing and (15150) front seat hooks not installed into underbody properly. dealer took care of me right away and even made a positive comment to the battery disconnect switch and its professional installation.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #164

I am planning on a new toad in the spring of 2016. I presently tow an 09 Silverado. Preparing the toad for towing or driving is a breeze. No need to disconnect any battery power. Although the Colorado is at the top of my list I am having second thoughts. Too much "monkey business". I am watching this thread and hoping GM will make some changes so that it can be towed more easily. I really appreciate all the posts from new owners. This can help any prospective buyer to make an intelligent decision. I hope there will be some answers to all of the problems. I am awaiting the new Tacoma. WE towed one from 05 to 09 and it was a great vehicle. BUT it needs a DS disconnect. Mine worked great but it is another step in towing.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I am planning on a new toad in the spring of 2016. I presently tow an 09 Silverado. Preparing the toad for towing or driving is a breeze. No need to disconnect any battery power. Although the Colorado is at the top of my list I am having second thoughts. Too much "monkey business". I am watching this thread and hoping GM will make some changes so that it can be towed more easily.
You have a point - I wonder if GM has any idea how many sales of these vehicles they've missed out on because people are leery of having troubles? I had a guy come over to me today when I was fueling in a truck stop in Reno with the Canyon behind the coach - he wanted to ask me what I thought of it as a toad, as he was thinking about getting one. AND, he'd read on-line about people having troubles with the procedure/process. I showed him the step by step procedure, and you could tell it threw him for a loop. No other vehicle is that complicated to tow four down that I know of.
I explained to him that the trouble stems from GM not wanting to suggest anyone disconnect the one positive cable to the electric PS assist, for fear of being liable should it spark and blow up a battery. What I can't understand is why they can't limit their liability by noting they only recommend it if a non-sparking (marine style) switch is used - then we could leave power on to the Transfer case, which would eliminate the issue of not getting it out of neutral.
And remember, it's not just the Colorado and Canyon - it's most of their '15's...
Old 05-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #166

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Man have they changed things. I just bought a 2010 Colorado. Set it up to tow. I just hit the road for the summer and love it's simplicity. Glad I didn't spring for the 2015. I towed a Saturn for 10 years. The Colorado is just as easy to set up and tows just as well. Only difference is the added 2k more to the GCWR.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told that they also require this on the new 2015 Silverados/Sierras. Has anyone checked this. If so, it must be GMs new way of working it.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
I was told that they also require this on the new 2015 Silverados/Sierras. Has anyone checked this. If so, it must be GMs new way of working it.
majfrizz...if you look back over this thread you'll see where a couple times I note that it is pretty much all the 2015's - not just the Colo and the Canyon...The GM memo I quoted specifies the vehicles, and it's most of them.

Tags
colorado