Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Red: Your solution does not address the problem some have had with the transfer case not working after the battery is disconnected.
I should clarify that the transfer case in the Canyon can be different than in the Colorado - perhaps that's why some see issues and others don't?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #184

Freightliner Owners Club
Would Not Come Out Of Neutral

I have towed my 2015 GMC Canyon two times with no issues. On the third tow the transfer case would not come out of Neutral. A message displayed "Service 4WD" and every attempt to get it out of Neutral failed. I could not remove the message "Service 4WD". One thing I noticed is that on this tow I left the ignition key on RUN instead of ACC.

Finally, I decided to put everything back as if it is being towed (Neg battery cable disconnected, transmission in Park, transfer switch in 4 Low, key in ACC position). After leaving the truck to sit for about an hour I returned and followed the normal procedure of connecting battery and waiting for all sounds to cease, moving they key to RUN and waiting for a complete boot of systems, putting transmission in Park, then rotating transfer switch to 2 High. To my surprise it came out of Neutral. One thing to note is on this try I did not get "Service 4WD" message.

I have no idea if towing with the key in RUN instead of ACC causes the issue. But it is comforting to know that it is possible to get it back in Neutral without calling for service.

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
You do know GM tells you to turn off the engine while the tranny is in Drive, and then put in Park. Then after 30 seconds, start engine, put in drive, turn off engine, and put in park and disconnect...? This may very well have to do with lubrication issues.
Sure, you may have towed for thousands of miles, but that isn't necessarily going to show long term damage that not following their instructions might cause...but hey, if you don't keep your vehicles long enough, who cares, right?
Just sayin'...
This is what GM recommends for me to go into flat tow mode:
No where does it tell me to start the engine and run for 30 seconds. That is for 4 low. It says you can start it. I prefer to do all the changing with the ignition on/engine off. I do start the engine at step 7 to verify it's indeed in neutral.
The only thing I don't follow is I always leave the key in ACC. I don't want to chance it popping out after a bump and locking the column.
I know it's a stretch but I feel better with the key in ACC. In full disclosure I have pulled it several time with it on the on position. with the battery disconnected I'm not worried either way.

Shifting Into N (Neutral)
To shift:
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Set the parking brake and press and hold the brake pedal. See Parking Brake on page 9-41.
3. Start the vehicle or turn the ignition to ON/RUN.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Shift the transfer case to 2 m.
6. Turn the transfer case knob clockwise to N (Neutral) until it stops and hold it there until the N (Neutral) light starts blinking. This will take at least 10 seconds. Then slowly release the dial to the 4 n position. The N (Neutral) light will come on when the transfer case shift to N (Neutral) is complete.
7. With the engine running, verify that the transfer case is in N (Neutral) by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse), then shift the transmission to D (Drive). There should be no movement of the vehicle while shifting the transmission.
8. Turn the engine off, and the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY.
9. Place the transmission shift lever in P (Park). See Recreational Vehicle Towing on page 10-78.
10. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
This is what GM recommends for me to go into flat tow mode:
No where does it tell me to start the engine and run for 30 seconds.
[/LEFT]
[/FONT][/SIZE]

I guess you didn't see the memo quoted that GM sends to dealers, where this is mention of the 30 second WAIT? (no one said anything about running the engine for 30 seconds) It's in this thread. But no matter - the procedure you note is essentially what is in the owner's manual - which for some seems to work. But not for everyone, for whatever reason...
I still struggle with mine, as sometimes it simply won't cooperate. But like the previous poster, I've gotten so I can go back and do things to get it out of Neutral if it initially won't - I just hope I never have to move it under it's own power in a hurry after disconnecting (like if the coach catches fire)...
Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #187

please post the memo from GM. I'd love to read it.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #188

I am going to think outside the box. I don't know where the information about disconnecting the negative battery cable and the electric steering came from. Unless GM specifically states that is a fact I will be a doubter. I just looked at the manual for a 2015 3500 Silverado. Same instructions for dinghy towing. I doubt it uses a similar steering gear as a 1500 or a Colorado. The reasoning for disconnecting the cable may just be a CYA to prevent any damage to the complex electrical system in a modern heavily computerized vehicle. Perhaps they are worried someone will wire their toad lights without any diodes and some stray voltage will damage components. Personally I would not consider the Colorado as a toad until they solve the transfer case problem. GM could easily design a kit for towing. Ford did this!
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #189

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well they kinda have moisheh. The 2004-12 tows just fine with no transfer case issues. Obviously they changed something in the newer model. It takes me a total of 30 second to put mine in neutral or take it out and I don't have to disconnect the battery.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #190

Takes me about 45 seconds to put my 2015 Colorado into neutral and about 30 seconds to take it out, including disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. And I have never had a transfer case issue.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #191

I was wrong it takes 30 seconds both ways. Timed myself today.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Takes me about 45 seconds to put my 2015 Colorado into neutral and about 30 seconds to take it out, including disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. And I have never had a transfer case issue.
Although we can appreciate that you haven't had any problems - others of us have... GM is aware of it, and has issued memo's about it - so consider yourself lucky...
Although I did hear just yesterday that there is a flash available that may cease the problem SOME of us are having...
Old 05-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #193

I have not seen or heard of either the memo or the flash. Please keep us advised. Although I have not had the problem I know it could happen at anytime. Thanks
Old 05-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #194

Quote:
I have not seen or heard of either the memo or the flash. Please keep us advised. Although I have not had the problem I know it could happen at anytime. Thanks
You must not have read all this thread then, since I referred to it specifically on April the 23rd and the 25th. It's too long, so just go to those dates and you can see the specifics of that memo.
As for the flash, I just "heard" of that and as of yet, don't have anything in writing. But when I do I will post of it. (can't go to dealer for a few weeks - out on the road)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
You must not have read all this thread then, since I referred to it specifically on April the 23rd and the 25th. It's too long, so just go to those dates and you can see the specifics of that memo.
As for the flash, I just "heard" of that and as of yet, don't have anything in writing. But when I do I will post of it. (can't go to dealer for a few weeks - out on the road)
I did read your post and I do not doubt you, but I would like to read the source document. I will check with my dealer to see if they have it yet.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #196

Quote:
I would like to read the source document.
Attached. My dealer sent it to me on request. Durango382 had quoted it very accurately. Durango382, please update us if you learn more on a re-flash.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dinghy towing.pdf (373.6 KB, 216 views)

Tags
colorado