Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #197

DD788: Owning an older Colorado is certainly not the answer. I would sooner tow a Yugo!

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #198

Moonshine: Thank you for the document. I have downloaded it to my pc for reference if I experience this issue.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #199

Thanks Moonshine. I've printed it out and will keep it with my toad. Hopefully I won't ever need it, but every day is a new day. At any rate I love the truck, and the MH.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #200

Thanks Moonshine, and thanks to all who have posted. I have not had any issues yet, except the roll up window message, but only a couple of short outings with the tow.

Carl
Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
except the roll up window message, but only a couple of short outings with the tow.

Carl
That message is to calibrate the auto up feature after battery disconnect.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #202

OK, I guess that is going to be normal, towed to campground for the weekend, hook up no issues, likewise unhooking at arrival.Tows just fine, mix of rural narrow winding roads and interstate highway.

Carl
Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #203

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
after towing it so far about 2,000 miles the only major issue was not reconnecting it the first night. now at the end of each day of travel, we just go thru the checklist, let it idle for about 15 minutes and no issues. at first the 'stabiltrak' service light comes on but then goes out.

one side note, since I was fully loaded in the RV I had them do a four corner weigh on it and then they did a four corner weigh on the Canyon. The only items I had in the truck was two bikes on the rear rack, folding toneau cover and about 100lbs of firewood in the rear in front of rear axle. Here is are the actual corner weights for the crew cab long bed
LF 1480, RF 1320 total 2800
LR 1200, RR 1130 total 2330
under the 6000.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #204

Got a note today my Canyon is in. We are departing Texas Saturday and heading home. I will pick up my truck on Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
Here is are the actual corner weights for the crew cab long bed
LF 1480, RF 1320 total 2800
LR 1200, RR 1130 total 2330
Struck me as heavy at first, but once I added up the numbers it seems right. My CC SB weighed 4620, but that was without firewood, bikes, bike rack, and tonneau. Add those along with the extra weight for the long bed and yours seems spot on.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #206

Just wondering how you folks are making out towing your trucks long distances We have an upcoming "migration" from NE to SW. We normally make this run with minimal stops, usually spend a few hours in rest areas. No unhooking, no starting. Of course, with a small car, Pontiac Vibe as toad. Our tows with the Colorado so far have been no longer than 8 hours or so, with destination a campground, unhook, etc.

Carl
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #207

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
based on what happened to me, just make sure when you stop at night, even when you do not unhook the truck, run the vehicle thru the connect procedures. then in the morning do the disconnect. I had an issue when I did not do this one night.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #208

Well, that is what we will do, I suppose like anything else, repetition will make the procedure seem less of a hassle.

Carl
Old 06-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
Just wondering how you folks are making out towing your trucks long distances...
Carl
I just recently returned from towing mine most of the way across the country - over 5K miles. Had no issues related to those discussed here - was able to get the transfer case in and out of neutral every time, and even after towing and not reconnecting battery for six days straight had no issues when I did finally start it up.
But - one casualty - my coach's exhaust has been altered slightly to aim the airflow out back versus down to stir up dust, and at some point I must have been turned to the right to bring the hot gases close to the Canyon and left it idling - the cowling around the driving lamp melted a bit!

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #210

Towing a chevy colorado

I just purchased a 2015 Chevy Colorado. The dealer reassured me that it could be towed with the transfer case in neutral.
I'm towing it on an Acme dolly. The Chevy owners manual says after loading to put ignition in LOCK/OFF. Acme says to make sure steering is unlocked. I'm positive Acme is right, other wise I'd be dragging it around corners.
When I asked the service department about towing they showed me Document ID: 2913872, which states a wheel dolly must be used to lift all drive wheels off the ground. That is on a 2015 4x4.
It appears to me that GM is a bit confused.

Tags
colorado