Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #225

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What body style and engine size for the Colorado/Canyon do y'all have?

Also did you install the baseplate yourself?
Crew cab, 3.7L inline 5 cyl, yes I installed the baseplate myself, Blue Ox.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #226

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about an update to the talk about maybe GM providing a software fix for the can't get the transfer case in or out of neutral without having to resort to pulling the fuse in the engine compartment? Anybody know if GM has addressed this yet?

I am having this problem and find it very frustrating. I recently had to have my wife drive the the Canyon separately since I couldn't get the transfer case into neutral. I tried it today - didn't work according to the procedure in the manual, so I followed the procedure to pull the engine compartment fuse and tried again - got transfer case into neutral. Then put it back to 2 high and then tried again to put the transfer case into neutral again - wouldn't go.

GM - fix this!!!!

I have an appointment at a dealer Monday for warranty work and this is at the top of the list.
2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #227

[QUOTE=CaptainJerry;2792259]How about an update to the talk about maybe GM providing a software fix for the can't get the transfer case in or out of neutral without having to resort to pulling the fuse in the engine compartment? Anybody know if GM has addressed this yet?

I am having this problem and find it very frustrating. I recently had to have my wife drive the the Canyon separately since I couldn't get the transfer case into neutral. I tried it today - didn't work according to the procedure in the manual, so I followed the procedure to pull the engine compartment fuse and tried again - got transfer case into neutral. Then put it back to 2 high and then tried again to put the transfer case into neutral again - wouldn't go.

Cap'n Jerry - see my post #135 earlier in this thread - I refer to a GM doc that is NOT part of the manual, but floats around GM. (a contact got it from his contact inside GM) If you follow those instructions to the letter, you shouldn't have the problem you refer to...I had troubles like you even following the manual and the update to the manual, but when I followed the GM doc's instructions I truncated in post #135, I stopped having problems. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem yet (except see below) since using that, and I've towed (put in and out of Neutral many times now).

The problem I did have you ask? I altered my coach's exhaust (with FL's blessing) and never had a problem with Dodge's plastic bumper cover on the Ram I used to tow, but I've melted two driving light cowlings on this Canyon so far and the only reason I haven't melted more - I don't replace them every time they melt, as long as they still function...

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #228

+1 on what Durango382 said. Although he paraphrased the document accurately if you want the original GM doc it's attached in post #196.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #229

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gentlemen, thank you for pointing to the GM document with a workaround, but I knew about that document and have been following it to the letter when I have the issue.. I got the document from a GMC dealer that I visited in August. Still having the problem. Not every time I try to make the shift into or out of neutral, but too often and with no discernible pattern that I can discover.

If GM wants to make a transfer case shift procedure totally electronic rather than the VERY reliable simply moving a lever, it should be flawless. These vehicles cost way too much money for us to experience this type of flaw. And it is a flaw.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #230
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
If GM wants to make a transfer case shift procedure totally electronic rather than the VERY reliable simply moving a lever, it should be flawless. These vehicles cost way too much money for us to experience this type of flaw. And it is a flaw.
What is interesting is that GM has had an electronically controlled transfer case since 1999, this is the first one that I know of with issues. Someone must have "upgraded" the process.

What sucks is that we are running out of the simple lever vehicles.

JDL
Old 10-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #231

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
A knife switch was installed on the negative battery terminal for disconnecting. I chose the Ready Brake Elite tow bar. Also use Ready Brake cable systems for both supplemental braking and breakaway. The base plate is Blue Ox and the tail lights are the Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit. It took about two days to install everything. Since the tail lights are powered by the RV there is no need for any battery use of the Canyon.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1429789325

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1429789325
How hard was it to install the ready brake and route the cable to the brakes? I had to pay someone to do this and the baseplate on my Equinox being I could not get under it. Did you have to put it on a lift to do the work?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #232

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How hard was it to install the ready brake and route the cable to the brakes? I had to pay someone to do this and the baseplate on my Equinox being I could not get under it. Did you have to put it on a lift to do the work?
If all that is going to be done is to install the ready brake then you need to remove the left front wheel and wheel well. With the hood open you have access to every where needed. Of course, you want at least one jack stand for safety. I guess all the work could be done in one day.

However, I installed a baseplate at the same time as the Ready Brake. It took me 2-1/2 days to complete. Both front wheels needed to be removed, the wheel wells, fenders, and front facia. The instructions supplied by Blue Ox were explicit, right down to each screw. I would not do this project without having a pair of jack stands, a way to lift the front end, and concrete to work on. There is nothing difficult if the instructions are followed. Without these instructions I would never had figured out exactly what screws removed what. It is amazing how flimsy the parts are when not screwed together.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #233

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
If all that is going to be done is to install the ready brake then you need to remove the left front wheel and wheel well. With the hood open you have access to every where needed. Of course, you want at least one jack stand for safety. I guess all the work could be done in one day.

However, I installed a baseplate at the same time as the Ready Brake. It took me 2-1/2 days to complete. Both front wheels needed to be removed, the wheel wells, fenders, and front facia. The instructions supplied by Blue Ox were explicit, right down to each screw. I would not do this project without having a pair of jack stands, a way to lift the front end, and concrete to work on. There is nothing difficult if the instructions are followed. Without these instructions I would never had figured out exactly what screws removed what. It is amazing how flimsy the parts are when not screwed together.
Thanks for the reply back. I would be installing everything at the same time unless I could find someone else to do it for a reasonable price. I had to pay about $1,500 for this on my Equinox which included the baseplate and installing the Ready Brake cabling which I provided.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #234

Entegra Owners Club
Getting ready to update may Tacoma to a Colorado or Canyon, found this post very interesting.

I have a new DP that takes 30-45 seconds before I can start it with all of the new computer modulus that have to talk to each other. I can see the new trucks being the same way. Easy solution, connect the cable, then start unhooking. More that 30 seconds will have passed.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #235

Thought I'd share an issue I had with my Canyon. Pulled into campground last night and unhooked. I could not get the transfer case to shift out of neutral. So I called roadside assistance and they picked it up this morning.

We rented a car and went off to the Tampa Super Show. Saw quite a few nice to have but nothing that made me ready to trade....... Even some of the ultra high dollar coaches.

The service writer told me the issue was the software required an update and once they did that all was well. I told him I was concerned that when we get to Port Charlotte Saturday we may run into this again. Since my truck was built in May 2015, I asked him if I had the latest procedure in my owners manual and he checked and told me the literature he was going to print off was in my owners manual.

I guess we will see how it goes on Saturday!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Thought I'd share an issue I had with my Canyon. Pulled into campground last night and unhooked. I could not get the transfer case to shift out of neutral. So I called roadside assistance and they picked it up this morning.

We rented a car and went off to the Tampa Super Show. Saw quite a few nice to have but nothing that made me ready to trade....... Even some of the ultra high dollar coaches.

The service writer told me the issue was the software required an update and once they did that all was well. I told him I was concerned that when we get to Port Charlotte Saturday we may run into this again. Since my truck was built in May 2015, I asked him if I had the latest procedure in my owners manual and he checked and told me the literature he was going to print off was in my owners manual.

I guess we will see how it goes on Saturday!

Tom-and-Gloria...Sorry to hear of this - it is the same trouble I had when I first started towing my Canyon (built in late 2014). After following the unpublished (at least in their manual) procedure for probably 5K of towing I didn't have any problems - but a couple weeks ago I took the truck in for some recalls, one of which was a reprogramming. I haven't had the time to go through the procedure yet, but I am a bit worried that because the applecart is so sensitive a reprogramming might have caused something to change and now I will go back to square one... But I won't be towing it anywhere until I check that first.

Let us know what they tell you about this - those of use who are owners already really need to know of the fixes since a lot of dealers don't even know there are fixes available.

One question - did you stop and start over re-disconnecting and re-connecting the battery and going through the whole procedure to see if that worked? The times I had troubles I'd do that - stop and start over even disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Truthfully - and this is sad - I am careful where I stop and intend to disconnect in case I can't get it back out of neutral...figuring I need to be somewhere that if that happens, I can push it off the side until help arrives. (too many times and the "help" will be a CDJR dealer who I am trading the thing into for a Ram as I never had a lick of troubles towing them...)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #237

Durango382, the odd thing about this is the tow truck driver told me he picked up a new GMC Sierra last week with the same problem. When I talked to the service writer he told me GMC issued a recall on the Sierra, but not on the Canyon.

He also told me since this truck is do new they are still experiencing some bugs and working them out. When I asked about notifications for software updates to preclude this from happening he said GM doesn't notify owners unless it's a recall.

I'll post tomorrow when I get to Port Charlotte. Very disappointed as I towed a Saturn for three years without one issue. Otherwise, we love the truck.

Yes, I tried the battery connect and disconnect to see if that would help. The only thing I didn't try was pulling the TREC fuse which I read about yesterday morning. If this problem happens on Saturday I will try that.

You are right about planning disconnects. I am really going to start paying a whole lot more attention from now on and ensure I have good options.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #238

TomAndGloria - this thread has gotten so long that I can't remember if I posted it earlier, but the problem we experience with the Canyon/Colo is evident in all the new GMC and Chevy Towable trucks and SUVs - it stems from the electric power steering and GM's insistence that we completely disable all the vehicle power (disconnect the negative cable) and the effects of that on the computers that control things like the transfer case and the transmission. Why they would recall some and not others, I don't know. I do know that my Canyon has had a fair share of recalls already and one most recently had something to to with the transfer case - so I suspect they know there's an issue and are trying to correct it. Good luck with yours. Hopefully today I can verify mine still works after they did the recall...

Tags
colorado