Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #253

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking good. Now you can start pulling that truck down the road.

Bob

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #254

Chevy Colorado

The Colorado is a good truck, but not the best! I have a Z71 to tow on my dolly. Shifting into neutral can sometimes take 10 or 15 minutes. When I have trouble I get the manual out and go step by step. That doesn't seem to help. The dolly I use cost less than half what towing four down would cost, plus I can tow any front wheel drive car with no adjustment. The Colorado is a gas hog. The Ford F-150 is lighter, gets a lot better gas mileage, has more power by far with a smaller engine!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierceone View Post
The Colorado is a good truck, but not the best! I have a Z71 to tow on my dolly. Shifting into neutral can sometimes take 10 or 15 minutes. When I have trouble I get the manual out and go step by step. That doesn't seem to help. The dolly I use cost less than half what towing four down would cost, plus I can tow any front wheel drive car with no adjustment. The Colorado is a gas hog. The Ford F-150 is lighter, gets a lot better gas mileage, has more power by far with a smaller engine!
Once I got past the troubles getting the transfer case back out of Neutral, I would have to say the Canyon (Colorado) really is a great truck for towing behind the coach. I get mid-twenties mileage combined city and highway, which isn't bad - but more importantly, the F150 when behind my 43 foot coach puts me over-length and these days that's an issue in CA. And the cost of having the truck set up with a Blue Ox adapter was far less than a dolly - although if I had to purchase a braking device (I already had mine) it would've been about the same.
Just sayin'...
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #256

I still need a braking system and a protector for the truck I am looking at the Blue ox Patriot and the protect a tow.Hope to be on the road soon
Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #257

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Look at the SMI systems. Air Force one and Duo Stay and play. I have the AF One on my Colorado and love it.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #258

I have used the Blue Ox Patriot for many years now, in many different vehicles from those weighing in at 8000 lbs to those weighing in about 3500 lbs, and have never had an issue with it. I like that I can switch it from vehicle to vehicle, as I have had many different toads and like to be able to vary what I tow without having to have a bunch of braking systems.

I'm not familiar with the other device you mention...
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #259

I had the Blue Ox Patriot to use in my Saturn. I have to say it did not work that well. At one point it applied the brakes and caused $1600 in front end damage. I think it was a combination of operator head space and timing and the Patriot.

When I bought my Canyon I had the SMI Stay N Play put on the truck and could not be happier. Since I tend to wear out my vehicles instead of trading cause I'd like something new or different, I figured I would get my money's worth with the Stay N Play. But it really is much easier and less frustrating.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #260

Got the Blue ox Patriot today about ready to hit the road.Do you leave the key in the ign in the acc position when towing?Someone told me that you turn the ign to off and remove the key
Old 03-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #261

also to the top of the coach hitch is 18" to the top of the truck is 23" Do I need a hitch that steps up 5' to be level
Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #262

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have to leave the key in otherwise the steering wheel will lock,
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #263

Well, we got ready to leave to go camping and halfway through shifting the Tcase into neutral I got the service 4 wheel drive message and the indicator light on the Tcase selector went dark. Tried the procedure for if it won't come out of neutral and that did nothing. Bottom line, it seems hung up somewhere between neutral and 2 wheel drive. Called GM Roadside Assistance and Customer service and both were completely useless. All they could do was tell me to take it to the dealership and offer to send a wrecker. Unhooked the truck and it sounded awful as I pulled it back into the garage. Left without our toad. When we get home tomorrow I'll get it towed to the dealer. Only had it back from the dealer for a week after it spent 8 days there for the power steering recall. I like this truck, but if I can't reliably tow it that defeats my ch of the reason I bought the Colorado.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #264

Man what a bummer. I'm sorry to hear this. Maybe it's the software update they had to do mine. So far it's working well. Hope this works out for you.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #265

Got all the equipment and leaving in a few weeks on my first trip with a toad
and have a few questions
Do you leave the transmission in park or neutral when towing?
When you get to the campground do you drive to your campsite and unhook?
I might start a new thread
Any suggestions or tips I should know?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #266

After you follow procedure outlined in owners manual ( we put this on a word document and put in a document protector and store in pocket behind passenger seat), the transfer case will be in neutral and transmission in park.

Don't forget to leave key in ignition in run position so steering wheel can turn. Otherwise it will be locked.

I do both when it comes to unhooking. Some times the front desk will tell you to unhook at entrance. If I'm overnighting, I always ask for pull thru do I don't need to unhook.

I have a charge line between coach and truck to keep battery charged up with SMI turned on while towing, not sure if you have one or not. Didn't want to deal with dead battery on truck.

Have fun, truck tows well.

Tags
colorado