Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #281

I am using the blue ox patriot for my breaking system.I am going to use a portable power pack to power it.I am not sure about the break away switch unless I run the wire out the window for now.Do you have to have a break away switch? Also I had a hard time getting one side of the bar to unlock Is there a trick to that
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #282

I'm in Kansas City but will be home Tuesday. I'll send you a picture of the front of my Canyon so you can see the brake away switch. I used the Patriot in the past, but had the SMI stay n play added to the Canyon.

I had my mechanic add a charge line from coach to Canyon. My battery on the truck is charged when I'm driving with headlights on. Easier than trying to keep battery charged.
Tom
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I'm in Kansas City but will be home Tuesday. I'll send you a picture of the front of my Canyon so you can see the brake away switch. I used the Patriot in the past, but had the SMI stay n play added to the Canyon.

I had my mechanic add a charge line from coach to Canyon. My battery on the truck is charged when I'm driving with headlights on. Easier than trying to keep battery charged.
Tom
Tom,

You leave your toad lights on while towing?

Also, would you mind posting pic of your brake-away install on the site. or PM me a pic?

I'm getting ready to run a brake-away also

Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #284

I see a number of posters responding here that have 2015/2016 Canyon/Colorado's that are pulling with a gasser, man I wan't either a Canyon or a Colorado. Time to stop looking for the CR-V or Equinox and shift my focus. I'm going to tell the other half that it's the fault of you guys here.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #285

Vato, not the toad lights, the Motorhome lights. I'd be happy to send pictures. I'll be home tomorrow night.
Tom
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #286

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Here's my 2016 Colorado I put the BlueOx Base Plate on

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado BlueOx.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	127249
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #287

Thanks everybody everything went perfect on my first trip with a toad only one heart stopping moment I passed a slow car and looked in my backup cam and my truck was gone the cam changed to the side view
Old 05-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Thanks everybody everything went perfect on my first trip with a toad only one heart stopping moment I passed a slow car and looked in my backup cam and my truck was gone the cam changed to the side view
Glad to hear it….

The first of many successful trips!

Your Collie has side view camera?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodallg View Post
I see a number of posters responding here that have 2015/2016 Canyon/Colorado's that are pulling with a gasser, man I wan't either a Canyon or a Colorado. Time to stop looking for the CR-V or Equinox and shift my focus. I'm going to tell the other half that it's the fault of you guys here.
I'll take that hit for you….

I was a bit apprehensive about towing the mid-size truck with my gasser but I frequently tow a boat that weighs nearly 5000# loaded and it pulls just fine. Definitely feel it but I feel confident.

I sold a FS GMC that I had used to tow the boat and sold a 99 ranger that I used as a toad.

Condensed 2 trucks into 1 that I can use for a toad and pull the boat.

Working out real well so far.

The Canyon weights about the same as the boat but no tongue weight (Canyon is rated to tow 7600#)

I Put the 5star tune on the coach along with the Banks Stinger.

Gave me a little more umph when I need it, comfortable power increase and the trans shift pattern is much improved.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #290

[QUeOTE=Vato;3073927]Glad to hear it….

The first of many successful trips!

Your Collie has side view camera?[/QUOTE]

Disregard I figured out that one all by myself… Sometimes I just don't think
Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #291

Back home The truck towed great Thanks to all that helped Vato your directions was spot on thanks again You should post that info on this site Tom thanks for the picture I will work on the breakaway switch this week Love this site thanks again to all
Old 05-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #292

Transfer Case Relearn Procedure...

Hi All,

I JUST got my 2015 GMC Canyon back from the Service Department after I had an incident with by GMC Canyon not wanting to shift back into gear after I dinghy towed my Canyon with my Holiday Rambler Vacationer. There is a procedure that they mention that is already on this thread as a PDF (#PIP5217A: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message After Flat/Dinghy Towing) - that procedure 'A' is the latest update of it and I have it. But my Service Department at the GMC Dealer handed me the 'Relearning Procedure' that can be done on the road to have the Transfer Case Module 'relearn' its positioning. That document has the title of: "Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset NQ6" and the steps are as follows:

1.) Ignition OFF for at least 30 seconds
2.) Engage Parking Brake
3.) Place Transmission Selector into Neutral
4.) Turn S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch to the 2WD High Position for at least 5 seconds. The 2WD High indicator may not illuminate
5.) Turn the S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch clockwise past the 4WD Low Position to the Neutral Request position and hold for at least 30 seconds.
6.) An audible noise from the A16 Transfer Case Motor should occur, indicating a successful learn procedure.

This, I am told, is the 'Magic Decoder Ring' to reprogram the Transfer Case Control Module without the GMC Scan Tool when you get stranded. Luckily I was out in front of my house when this happened (just got back from a weekend trip with the RV) and I had to have my 2015 GMC Canyon towed back to the Dealership to have them do this procedure that I could have done at home last night. Also, luckily, I didn't have to pay for the towing since I had the OnStar package with the Roadside Assistance (that saved me $300 - thank you OnStar). But I hope the aforementioned procedure will help someone to not have this issue EVER again. Between the updated towing procedure and this new 'relearning' procedure, you won't have the same thing happen to you like what happened to me last night with my Canyon.

Happy Trails, Everyone...!
martywittroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #293

Hi All,

I JUST got my 2015 GMC Canyon back from the Service Department after I had an incident with by GMC Canyon not wanting to shift back into gear after I dinghy towed my Canyon with my Holiday Rambler Vacationer. There is a procedure that they mention that is already on this thread as a PDF (#PIP5217A: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message After Flat/Dinghy Towing) - that procedure 'A' is the latest update of it and I have it. But my Service Department at the GMC Dealer handed me the 'Relearning Procedure' that can be done on the road to have the Transfer Case Module 'relearn' its positioning. That document has the title of: "Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset NQ6" and the steps are as follows:

1.) Ignition OFF for at least 30 seconds
2.) Engage Parking Brake
3.) Place Transmission Selector into Neutral
4.) Turn S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch to the 2WD High Position for at least 5 seconds. The 2WD High indicator may not illuminate
5.) Turn the S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch clockwise past the 4WD Low Position to the Neutral Request position and hold for at least 30 seconds.
6.) An audible noise from the A16 Transfer Case Motor should occur, indicating a successful learn procedure.

This, I am told, is the 'Magic Decoder Ring' to reprogram the Transfer Case Control Module without the GMC Scan Tool when you get stranded. Luckily I was out in front of my house when this happened (just got back from a weekend trip with the RV) and I had to have my 2015 GMC Canyon towed back to the Dealership to have them do this procedure that I could have done at home last night. Also, luckily, I didn't have to pay for the towing since I had the OnStar package with the Roadside Assistance (that saved me $300 - thank you OnStar). But I hope the aforementioned procedure will help someone to not have this issue EVER again. Between the updated towing procedure and this new 'relearning' procedure, you won't have the same thing happen to you like what happened to me last night with my Canyon.

Happy Trails, Everyone...!
martywittroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #294

Marty,

Thanks for posting. Hopefully, this procedure works on the Colorado T-case as well. Not sure what's the differences are since we don't have the Auto 4wd setting, but it's certainly worth a try.

Tags
colorado