Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #295

Good thing for the field procedure...

Moonshine,

Thanks for the reply back - they say at the dealership that the procedure works for the following vehicles:

2015 GMC Canyon
2015 Chevy Colorado
2015 Escalade
2015 Sierra

Apparently, they all have the same transfer case control modules and it's just a matter of having that module unlock and 'relearn' its 2WD and Neutral settings. I'm just glad they have a field procedure for this because the other method requires an engine code scanner/reader/writer which isn't something that a lot of people pack on vacation and take with them unless they're a real gear-head. But without this procedure you're forced to have your truck packed onto a flatbed tow and taken to the dealership to have them 'rehit' the transfer case and take it through the unlock and 'relearn' mode - that's what happened to me last Sunday night.

I didn't see this procedure anywhere else on any RV forums or GMC truck websites, so I was determined to get it out there so NO ONE ELSE will be stranded without their ride. Again, lucky for me, I was in front of my house getting ready to put the truck in the garage and park the RV in its stall when this all happened. It could have just as easily happened in Storm Lake where we were weekending for a graduation and it would have been a total disaster. I don't think Storm Lake had a dealership open on Saturday and there few choices for rental cars (if any) if we were stranded without our Canyon and miles to walk to the college campus for the event.

No more of that with this procedure...

Happy Trails, Moonshine..!
martywittroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by martywittroc View Post
But without this procedure you're forced to have your truck packed onto a flatbed tow and taken to the dealership to have them 'rehit' the transfer case and take it through the unlock and 'relearn' mode - that's what happened to me last Sunday night.
Yes, same thing happened to me last time I tried to tow the Colorado. T-case got hung up somewhere in never-never land and I had to have it towed to the dealer.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #297

Entegra Owners Club
Sharing towing equipment install.

I purchase a 2016 Colorado a month ago and negotiated all of the towing equipment to be installed in the purchase price. You'd think I held a gun to the dealers head the way they cried.

I ordered the Blue Ox base plate, light wiring kit and the Ready Brake cable kit. The Chevy dealer took one look at the Blue Ox instruction and refused to do it. They made an appointment with Custom Hitch in Ft Myers where they installed all of the equipment for a surprising low price of $475. I was surprised after seeing the instructions how low the price was for installation.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #298

Thanks for the info Marty.
We never have had the problem in 6,000+ miles of towing the Canyon but have printed out your procedure and put it in the truck, just in case.
Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Back home The truck towed great Thanks to all that helped Vato your directions was spot on thanks again You should post that info on this site Tom thanks for the picture I will work on the breakaway switch this week Love this site thanks again to all
Rodney,

Let us know how the Breakaway install goes.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by martywittroc View Post
Hi All,

I JUST got my 2015 GMC Canyon back from the Service Department after I had an incident with by GMC Canyon not wanting to shift back into gear after I dinghy towed my Canyon with my Holiday Rambler Vacationer. There is a procedure that they mention that is already on this thread as a PDF (#PIP5217A: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message After Flat/Dinghy Towing) - that procedure 'A' is the latest update of it and I have it. But my Service Department at the GMC Dealer handed me the 'Relearning Procedure' that can be done on the road to have the Transfer Case Module 'relearn' its positioning. That document has the title of: "Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset NQ6" and the steps are as follows:

1.) Ignition OFF for at least 30 seconds
2.) Engage Parking Brake
3.) Place Transmission Selector into Neutral
4.) Turn S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch to the 2WD High Position for at least 5 seconds. The 2WD High indicator may not illuminate
5.) Turn the S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch clockwise past the 4WD Low Position to the Neutral Request position and hold for at least 30 seconds.
6.) An audible noise from the A16 Transfer Case Motor should occur, indicating a successful learn procedure.

This, I am told, is the 'Magic Decoder Ring' to reprogram the Transfer Case Control Module without the GMC Scan Tool when you get stranded. Luckily I was out in front of my house when this happened (just got back from a weekend trip with the RV) and I had to have my 2015 GMC Canyon towed back to the Dealership to have them do this procedure that I could have done at home last night. Also, luckily, I didn't have to pay for the towing since I had the OnStar package with the Roadside Assistance (that saved me $300 - thank you OnStar). But I hope the aforementioned procedure will help someone to not have this issue EVER again. Between the updated towing procedure and this new 'relearning' procedure, you won't have the same thing happen to you like what happened to me last night with my Canyon.

Happy Trails, Everyone...!
As I was reviewing this again I had a question. After the key has been off for 30 seconds, do you just turn the key to "on" or do you start the truck?
Thanks, Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #301

I just wanted to be the 300 person to respond to this thread
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #302

missed it by that much
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #303

Just got back from our week long vacation. All good until we got ready to hook up the Colorado for the final drive home yesterday. Turn T-case switch to N, hold and wait for the flashing N. DIC shows shift in progress, but then T-case lights go totally off and T/C lights up on dash. Uh oh, not good. Turn T-case back to 4WD, it shifts and 4WD lights up. Turn to 2 WD, same deal and T/C light on dash goes out. Take a deep breath, hold it, and repeat procedure. T-case shift to N just like it's supposed to. Whew! No problems after that. Bottom line, it works, but it remains just finicky enough not to be confidence inspiring.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Just got back from our week long vacation. All good until we got ready to hook up the Colorado for the final drive home yesterday. Turn T-case switch to N, hold and wait for the flashing N. DIC shows shift in progress, but then T-case lights go totally off and T/C lights up on dash. Uh oh, not good. Turn T-case back to 4WD, it shifts and 4WD lights up. Turn to 2 WD, same deal and T/C light on dash goes out. Take a deep breath, hold it, and repeat procedure. T-case shift to N just like it's supposed to. Whew! No problems after that. Bottom line, it works, but it remains just finicky enough not to be confidence inspiring.
Moonshine, Happy to hear it all worked out for you.

I break out in a cold sweat when I do the procedure, expecting the worse.

But, I have had no issues……knock on wood…..

I probably look silly every time I hook-up and disconnect. I have my little cheat sheet I diligently review as I do the "dance"…

All the negative experiences have tainted the simplicity of the procedure. It's really not that involved.

Hopefully the recent advice will solve any issues for others!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #305

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by don8ch View Post
As I was reviewing this again I had a question. After the key has been off for 30 seconds, do you just turn the key to "on" or do you start the truck?
Thanks, Don
Ah, found the BIG thread on the colorado/canyon. I just replied to RedColorado on the old shorter thread we started back last year.

Anyway, this answers my question about problems with the t-case going back into 2wd and re-learning it.

The question above was not answered and the step by step procedures said to turn the key off for thirty seconds but does not say to turn it back on or to start the motor. And nothing will work with everything shut down, so it's not real clear here.

I did get a document last year about the procedure but haven't looked at it since then.

Just ordered my baseplate and disco switch to configure for towing.

Thanks! Love the little truck!

Oh, and here's my thread on making a cargo platform for the rear passenger compartment on the extended-cab trucks. If anyone has a X-cab they need one of these...or order one from yours truly.
Ex-Cab Platform Build for Dogs & Cargo - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #306

Entegra Owners Club
We have been towing our Colorado now for two months and wanted to report, not one single problem. When unhooking, the first thing I have been doing is turning the key off, reconnecting the battery cable, then disconnect the tow bar while the Colorado computers do there thing before turning the key on and shifting the transfer case. The instructions posted here work prefect, the owners manual misses a step. Glad the Colorado has been so easy to tow.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #307

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which step? LOL I know, it's a mystery!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #308

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got my baseplate and wiring finished up yesterday and tested 'er out...all good!

Tags
colorado