Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #323

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The GM/Chevy site has all the specs - bed lengths and weights.
2015 is the new-gen truck, was truck of the year over Ford's new aluminum body and they were pissed. GM pulled a handful of their best engineers off the Silverado/Sierra line and put them on Colorado/Canyon - it has all the latest tech from the general. They are very nice to drive, quiet and great riding.

I chose the extended cab 4cyl in an effort to keep weight down since I'm towing with a gas coach. It's right about 4K lbs so works out fine. A long bed crew is climbing up there, add another seven or eight hundred pounds.

Mine is almost 2 years old, 15K miles, is a really nice rig, like it a lot. The latest of a long line of vehicles over the years, some forty or so in my driving career.

My last toads were Subaru Crosstrek, Subaru Forester, and Scion XB 2nd gen. All were nice, but nothing like the Colorado.

Oh, and skip the previous-gen Colorado - they aren't even in the same league. Nothing wrong with them, just not the same kind of technology. The new one was designed from the frame up, all new. There's even a diesel version.

The only requirement for towing is a four wheel drive model - it adds about $3300 to the cost, but provides for neutral with the transfercase so you can flat-tow it. Of course you need a towing baseplate and bar, lights, a brake system, and a battery disconnect switch. Just read thru the thread, it's all here.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #324

Thank you Mr. Brown. If I had the cabbage and weight for new I would buy one.
I can pick up a 2007 in good shape. Any of you older Canyon guys able to squeeze a gas golf cart In the back of a crew cab? Any issues I should be looking for?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #325

Friend of mine put a golf cart in the back of a 2016 long bed. Of course golf carts might be different sizes also.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #326

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Disneyfix it would have to be small and light. Crew cab beds are short and I would check to see what the gross rate rating is on the rear axle. A golf cart's weight could overload it.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #327

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into the rear axel weight capacity, thanks.
Anyone have this type set up already?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #328

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything on weights and payloads here:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...ab1.html#curb2

The term 'golf cart' encompasses quite a variety of various gas and electric vehicles for off-hiway transport. You're going to want to measure width between wheel wells, and bed length, for fit, as well as gross weight. And then there is getting it up and in there. Frankly it's not something I would want to be doing all the time, but hey, if it fits it fits. I really don't think weight is the issue, the payload for the crew regular box is 1580. I can't imagine a golf cart weighs that much, but you never know.

Also keep in mind that whatever you load into the truck bed has to be added to gross combined towing weight for everything. I sure hope you're talking about a big-block diesel pusher and not some gas unit. [shrug]
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #329

Satisfaction After Some Time

Curious - now that many of us have had the Canyon (or Colorado) for more than a year, what are your impressions of it?

I love everything about mine - I've even gotten used to the more complicated procedure for towing four-down - with one exception...the V-6 just seems woefully under-powered.
I wasn't expecting a race truck, but for 300HP it just seems sluggish. I actually am considering trading my '15 in on a '17 - besides different engine options (the new diesel, and a V-6 with a little more HP and torque than the current version), I like that they will offer the ventilated front seats in a Denali package.

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #330

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We really like ours, very versatile. It tows the boat, hauls bikes, and tows behind the motorhome. A couple of thousand miles of towing now and got it dialed, but it's a handful if it's blowing.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #331

Just made my first trip in a 2017 29.4 Thor Ace F53 V10 flat towing a newly purchased 2016 GMC SLT crew cab 4x4 with a DSI braking system and Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. Pulls like a dream. Baseplates were no problem. Went right where tow hooks were that come on a 4x4 front frame. You are good to go with 4x4 as you just put the transfer case in neutral, shifter in park, switch in accessory position, and disconnect battery(we put a simple throw over blade on the positive terminal to accomplish that). Mileage does not record with battery disconnected but it blows On-Star's mind in that the think your battery is low and send e-mails to correct the problem.Truck makes a super all around toad and gives me storage for light weight bulky stuff. I did put a tonneau cover on the bed. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #332
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"David P: brings up a very good point. My neighbor bought a 2016 Canyon Crew Cab and we installed the Blue Ox base plates. When you install the Blue Ox, they mount just above the bumper, through the plastic grill. This puts the tow bar height at about 21" - 23" (height depends if the 2" leveling kit is added).

The 23" height is great for some of the gassers with tall hitches, but is way too high for most DP's. I just bought a 2016 Canyon Crew Cab and ordered the Roadmaster base plates. They install where the tow hooks go, about 14" off of the ground, I perfect match for my DP.

Sooooo......do your homework on which base plates you buy.

I also ordered the electric Roadmaster battery disconnect kit with switch. It disconnects the positive cable, instead of the negative. It's pricey, but I didn't want to hunt down the appropriate solenoid and components. It also makes it easy to install. The Canyon has a positive cable that is only about 6" long and can swung out to mount on the solenoid.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #333

I have a 2015 Canyon with 21000 miles. Bought her new and towed her behind my coach several times. I like everything about this truck, except the shift points in the transmission.

I don't believe it's a horsepower issue as much as a transmission shift point issue, designed by GM to help with fuel economy ratings. My 2007 Toyota Tacoma had different shift points, didn't hold 3 or 4th gear as long and seemed to have more pep. However, if you need to merge onto the interstate and you start applying more pressure to the accelerator, the truck will force downshifts and get going.

When I've talked to the service people, they said the transmission shift points has been the number one complaint they have heard from Canyon owners. It does take some getting used too, as I normally don't drive with my "foot in it".
Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #334

Exactly Tom. I notice it most when I might be going along about 20 miles an hour and then start to accelerate. It really lags unless you press the accelerator and make it down shift.
I have read next year's model comes with an eight-speed to resolve that issue.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #335

I bought a 2015 GMC Canyon brand new off the local lot in Hiawatha Iowa late in the model year (when the discounts were better). Here's my Pros and Cons on mine:

Pros:
------
1.) Looks sharp - Nice body style and accents
2.) GREATEST SOUND SYSTEM ON EARTH - the Bose stereo in mine is the best I've owned
3.) Comfortable ride - I've been told that by people that have ridden in it, too
4.) Like the black leather interior and accents
5.) Soundproof for road noise - like that, too - not much wind or road noise
6.) Displays are nice for weather, GPS, and info - nice features
7.) OnStar has been helpful - that's coming next on Cons
8.) The remote app feature is REAL helpful if I forget to lock the truck or want to check the oil or gas levels
9.) Tows nice behind the 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer - you wouldn't know it's back there and doesn't have the restrictions like a Honda Pilot does on speed of towing (65 mph max) - the GMC has no restriction that I'm aware of
10.) Collision avoidance is a GREAT feature - it stopped me from a rear-end collision when a van on the highway made an abrupt slow down that I began to avoid, but my GMC took over faster than I did and prevented that collision from happening

Cons:
------
1.) Acceleration is 'doggy' - especially in the first two gears. I remember almost every GM product I've owned in the past (this is my first GMC in nearly 25 years - I owned Toyotas and Hondas) being like this and it hit me when I test drove it - thought I could get past it, but it's there...just like I remembered it and doesn't have the zip like my Tacoma did...I REALLY miss that...
2.) The towing feature was a nightmare when I had my first episode where the truck would not come out of neutral - that's when I had to use OnStar to have the truck towed to the local dealership and have it put back in gear. The new towing procedure they gave me seems to work - no problems yet
3.) There are too many reminders on the display for seemingly trivial things

...And that's about it on my experience with my truck...The Pros outweigh the Cons on the 2015 GMC Canyon, but the few that are there aren't trivial, too.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #336

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The owners forum - coloradofans.com - has at least one very lengthy thread on the transmission shifting. It's pretty bothersome for most. I've come to deal with it and and just ignore it when it's balky. For normal acceleration it's fine, but if you let off then get on it again, like in traffic, it's shifting all over the place, and usually already shifted up too high and lugs. Very annoying.

I'm guessing the auto-mode of TC on the Canyon creates an additional issue. The Colorados I have not heard of having any issue shifting out of neutral after towing. Mine has been very easy to deal with. I still haven't figure out what configuration gets it to shift though - e-brake or not? Foot on brake? In park or neutral? Anyway, I get it to go but it seems like its different every time. LOL.

Adding a hitch receiver snug device made a big difference on tail-wagging, as did tightening up all the pivot points on my old Blue-Ox two bar. Where I have trouble is in strong front and side winds - did about 250 miles of that on the trip back from Utah. The wind pushes everything out of alignment - toad and coach - so I have to keep steering it back. The toad wags the coach - there's a lot of weight there, I have a short wheelbase chassis with a pretty long overhang so there's a pretty good fulcrum point going on there. No wind it's a breeze. Semi's are no problem either. I do have a rear track-bar and I'm guessing that helps.

Oh, and for sure on base-place choice. The Blue-Ox one is quite high, plus I have a leveling lift on the truck so it's over an inch higher, plus the lighter engine (I4) so it's max height for the gas coach without a lift or drop hitch - towbar just plugged straight in. Truck is about 2" higher than the hitch. For a DP it would be WAY too high.

My towbar tabs are closer to 24" high.

Tags
colorado