Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i just picked it up from the installer. after we turned the battery disconnect off, paused then turned it back on. i went to drive home and in less then 1 one minute all radio presets, clocks were back to normal. the only item that cleared that i can see so far is the tracking of the MPG. its starts over. not sure if the computer memory keeps it all there or not. i had the same concern.

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on GMs Malibu/Terrain/Equinox the owners manuals say pull three different fuses. On the full size trucks, these trucks, and Yukons they tell you to disconnect the negative. No one knows why.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #45
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
i just picked it up from the installer. after we turned the battery disconnect off, paused then turned it back on. i went to drive home and in less then 1 one minute all radio presets, clocks were back to normal. the only item that cleared that i can see so far is the tracking of the MPG. its starts over. not sure if the computer memory keeps it all there or not. i had the same concern.
Bob,
When you get an oppurtunity, could you disconnect the battery for 6-8 hours and let us know what is lost in the settings? Did you install a "external safety" style disconnect?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Received the base plates instructions, still trying to look into the disconnecting the issue. now to find out who owns the red Colorado.
I own the red Colorado shown in the Blue Ox base plate installation instructions. Everything was installed by Blue Ox in Pender NE last November and works GREAT .
I have found it is NOT necessary to disconnect the battery. Go through the procedure to put the transfer case into neutral per the instructions in the owners manual. At the end of the procedure turn the key OFF but do not remove it you will find the steering wheel is still unlocked. The steering wheel does not lock until the key is almost completely out of the ignition.
You can verify this by turning your key to acc position, verify the wheel is unlocked, then turn the key off and verify it is still unlocked. I have spoken to Chevrolet about this. They would not discuss it. They said to contact my service department. I think this is a case of CYA. Or my truck is broke. I have towed the Colorado 1200 miles like this. The Colorado also has a battery saver system that disconnects the battery when the voltage drops to (I think) 11.8 volts and reconnects when it senses any current draw.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i plan on turning the switch off all night tonight, had to be somewhere early this morning did not want to have any unexpected problems. here is the hookups for the battery disconnect and Air Force One. not much room to install it up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150123_123937.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	84010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150123_123945.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	84011  

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #48

Someone had a question about weight. My 2015 Colorado Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4 with baseplates installed, UTB installed, full of gas and a few items under the back seat weighs 4730.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
The disconnecting the negative side of the battery is a deal breaker for me. I really like the truck, but having to reset radio, clock, etc everytime I connect/disconnect ruins it for me.
You only have to reset the clock, its easy
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JDL,

great news. after 12 hours of battery disconnect sitting in the garage, flipped the switched back on, within thirty seconds all radio presets and clocks came back on. nothing lost. that is alot easier then pulling the three fuses that you have to pull on the Equinox/Terrain/Malibus. Now when I have it hooked up to the RV it will also have the charge line built in from the coach to get the power for the Air Force One.

Bob
Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
JDL, great news. after 12 hours of battery disconnect...Bob
Bob,

I have the Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed on order. Can you give what battery disconnect you used?

After calling Blue Ox they recommended their Avail tow bar which allows for tighter turns and the Patriot braking system. With the Patriot, wiring is run from a front plug mounted on the Canyon to tail light bulbs added to the factory tail lights. This way no power from the Canyon is used or needed to operate brake/turn signals.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
Bob,

After calling Blue Ox they recommended their Avail tow bar which allows for tighter turns and the Patriot braking system.
I don't see the Avail listed on their website. Is that a new model? I'd been looking at the Alpha based on the weight rating and the weight of the Colorado.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have the Aventa from prior. I do see the Avail on a another dealer website.

Blue Ox Avail 10K Tow Bar - Tow Bars - Tow Bars & Baseplates - Towing & Automotive

Mike, I will get you the disconnect switch make/model on Monday.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
I don't see the Avail listed on their website. Is that a new model? I'd been looking at the Alpha based on the weight rating and the weight of the Colorado.
Here is the link to the Avail (at the bottom of the page).

All Blue Ox Tow Bars
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
Here is the link to the Avail (at the bottom of the page).

All Blue Ox Tow Bars
Thanks, Mike.

Bob or JDL, did either of you have to use a drop receiver to get the tow bar level when hooked up to the Colorado/Canyon baseplate?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moonshine94,

More then likely I will have to do an extension. I have Hydralift with a Goldwing on it. when i towed my Malibu I was good to go. But with this truck and the way the Hrdralift sits back there i know I will more than likely have to use an extension. I could just see going over a low spot and the Hydralift hitting the hood of the truck. If i did not have the Hydralift i think I would be ok. Sorry I cant give you an exact answer, have to wait till spring to get all the bugs worked out.

Bob

Tags
colorado