Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #57
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Moonshine94,
I havent purchased the Canyon yet. It will depend on your RV hitch height vs. the baseplate height. My coach is a Monaco DP, it has a lower hitch vs most Gas coaches. I may need a "inverted drop hitch" to match the height. My current setup matches my 99 Jeep GC (factory height) almost perfectly.

JDL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i measured the height of the baseplate tabs and they are at 23" off the ground. and if i am right i think the Jeep GC is only 17.

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
REDCOLORADO,

not sure what you are towing the Colorado with did you have to use a drop receiver when you towed it?

Bob
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Moonshine94,
I havent purchased the Canyon yet. It will depend on your RV hitch height vs. the baseplate height. My coach is a Monaco DP, it has a lower hitch vs most Gas coaches. I may need a "inverted drop hitch" to match the height. My current setup matches my 99 Jeep GC (factory height) almost perfectly.

JDL
The answer might depend on the baseplate used. I chose a Roadmaster MX for my 2012 Colorado because the tabs are below the bumper and it was a better match for my motorhome receiver height. The Blue Ox baseplates come out where the tow hooks were previously located at a higher level. As a side note, you can still use most Blue Ox tow bars with a simple set of adapter lugs that replace the Blue Ox triple lugs.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
on GMs Malibu/Terrain/Equinox the owners manuals say pull three different fuses. On the full size trucks, these trucks, and Yukons they tell you to disconnect the negative. No one knows why.
I could not begin to tell you how many posts that I have read on this and other towing forums that explore the mystery of disconnecting the negative battery cable. I think that the dealers do not know and the manufacturers do not want to admit is that there is no definitive reason that we are all seeking.

My theory is that manufacturers know that folks flat tow their vehicles and in many cases modify the existing wiring to accommodate brake systems and lighting. This could introduce the remote potential for a "sneak" circuit that could, in some way, damage the vehicle. Most of the newer 4WDs utilize electronic controls for their transfer cases and disconnecting the negative battery cable is the safest approach from a manufacturers standpoint. It is really not doing anything much different from turning the key to the "Off" or "ACC" position. If my theory is unfounded, it would be nice for an industry expert to stand up and give their side of the discussion.

All of this reminds me of the reason we are asked to turn off cell phones when we fly and have been doing so for years. The truth is that it was a measure based on a theoretical and unproven concern. There is no definitive reason and there most likely will never be one.

I do commend redcolorado for testing the waters and proving my point by being brave enough not to disconnect the battery when towing.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike

here is the battery disconnect switch used. Battery doctor # 20387

Amazon.com: WirthCo 20387 Battery Doctor Mini Master Rotary Dial Disconnect Switch with On/Off Knob and Bottom Cover: Automotive
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #63

We pulled a 4WD 2005 Colorado for over 75,000 miles and had no problems. The transfer case disconnect was just the rotary knob as described but it always worked just fine. Neither that car or my 2011 Silverado had the steering wheel lock so I always pulled with the key removed. No computers on the Colorado so no need to pull the battery cable but the Silverado is lousy with them and we don't need to pull the battery cable there either. Only problem was when we loaded the Colorado heavy for a run to Alaska it tended to squat low in the back. A set of J C Whitney helper springs solved that very economically.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #64

Quote:
REDCOLORADO,

not sure what you are towing the Colorado with did you have to use a drop receiver when you towed it?

Bob
I have a 2009 Bounder. I did not need a drop. My MH receiver and Colorado hitch points are both about 23 inches.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for that info. Mine is a lot lower on the RV.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #66

Just info. I measured the current draw with the Colorado ignition switch in the ACC position. It was 5.5 amps, I was surprised it was that high. I did tow with it in the ACC position with the battery connected for about 350 miles. When I turned the key ON the display said the battery saver was activated and it did start. I think the battery saver activates at 11.8 volts. I don't know what this does to the battery but I don't think regular use would do it any good.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #67

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Mine is a lot lower on the RV.
That could be my fault. Blue ox was going to bring the tow connections out at the tow hook position. I asked them to bring them out higher since I knew the height of my MH was about 23 inches. Sorry.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikersc View Post
I could not begin to tell you how many posts that I have read on this and other towing forums that explore the mystery of disconnecting the negative battery cable. I think that the dealers do not know and the manufacturers do not want to admit is that there is no definitive reason that we are all seeking.

My theory is that manufacturers know that folks flat tow their vehicles and in many cases modify the existing wiring to accommodate brake systems and lighting. This could introduce the remote potential for a "sneak" circuit that could, in some way, damage the vehicle. Most of the newer 4WDs utilize electronic controls for their transfer cases and disconnecting the negative battery cable is the safest approach from a manufacturers standpoint. It is really not doing anything much different from turning the key to the "Off" or "ACC" position. If my theory is unfounded, it would be nice for an industry expert to stand up and give their side of the discussion.

All of this reminds me of the reason we are asked to turn off cell phones when we fly and have been doing so for years. The truth is that it was a measure based on a theoretical and unproven concern. There is no definitive reason and there most likely will never be one.

I do commend redcolorado for testing the waters and proving my point by being brave enough not to disconnect the battery when towing.
I did put a big rubber band around the key to prevent it from coming out. and stopped often to verify the steering wheel was still unlocked.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #69

Blue Ox makes a wiring kit. You have drill a hole in the tail light assembly for another bulb, then run wiring the length of the vehicle. Connect the wires to the new bulb assembly and a connector. It's just like wiring a utility trailer. Very simple. You do not use any of the vehicle wiring and do not need to disconnect the battery. Avoid the kit with LED lights, I could not get the to work.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yay!!! Just got my new Colorado Extended Cab 4x4 with I4 yesterday. Curb weight is a a bit less than the CC 6cy at 4100lbs. Can't wait to get the base plate on it.

Thanks majfrizz - see you on the coloradofans forum.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado