Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #71

I4? Does that mean you bought one with the new Duramax turbo-diesel?

fred061164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #72
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is the cruise control on the Colorado Adaptive? That is, does it keep its distance from the vehicle in front? Does it have collision avoidance in the mirrors?

Looked at the 2015 Colorado yesterday and it seems it just might be a nice replacement for my gas guzzling heavy Ford Edge.
Anyone running the 4cyl model?

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #73

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Collision avoidance and lane departure are options I didn't get. I don't know how the former works with CC.

The Duramax 4 is not out yet, due later this year. From what I understand it will carry a hefty premium and come in the higher trim models. I was trying to keep costs and weight down so the ext-cab and 4cyl was the best choice for me. I'm pulling with a gas coach - for the DP's they can tow anything and weight is less of a consideration. The ext cab 4cyl is at least 500lbs lighter than the crew-cab long box with 6cyl. And costs at least four grand less.

I got the LT with the upgrades and would have liked to have the Z71 package but none were avail in 4WD unless I went completely loaded 4-door - they are getting near $40K. The z71 has upgraded shocks, fancy seats, a skid for the transfercase, and the emblem on the grill and box side.

I got locking rear diff, Bose and Nav, and the two LT packages that has all the lighting and convenience options - sticker $32,190. They now have all the luxuries we've come to expect of of modern luxury vehicles - auto headlamps, auto-up and down windows, beautiful 8" touch screen with or without nav, backup camera, heated seats option, auto-climate option, remote-start option, bumper corner-steps, bedliner options, cargo management options...and more. You can really load them up. Apparently much of the design team came from the Silverado line - they basically took all of their technologies from the big truck and stuffed into the smaller one. The reviews are all just raves, they are really nice.

The GMC Canyon is also very nice, several little upgrades to differentiate it from the Chevy, also adds at least a grand to the cost. I like the fenders on the GMC and the front end on the Chevy. And of course they build probly 10 chevys to one GMC.

The 6cyl is very smooth and a must if you intend to tow with it. But it adds over a hundred lbs and costs an additional $1250. After driving both, since I won't be towing heavy (up to 7000lbs for the 6cyl) the four cylinder works just fine, it is smooth and quiet unless you tromp on it - only then can you tell it's a four. The four gets just slightly better mileage.

The 6cyl is all the rage but it's a high-revving motor so the only place you see the extra power is at the top end. They feel very similar for around town and normal driving. My advice would be do drive both and decide for yourself. I was really torn, but in the end decided the lighter weight and lesser cost was to my advantage. The 6spd AT works REALLY well with it. Brakes and handling are also absolutely excellent, and it's so quiet it's hard to believe it's a real truck on a real frame with a real transfercase. And it gets really good mileage...almost as good as my the Subaru Crosstrek. Plus it's WAY nicer to drive than the little car.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Is the cruise control on the Colorado Adaptive? That is, does it keep its distance from the vehicle in front? Does it have collision avoidance in the mirrors?
The cruise is not adaptive.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #75
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
The cruise is not adaptive.
Thanks for that info.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #76

GM says the issue with disconnecting negative battery has to do with the new electric power steering - if power is on it supposedly can be damaged by towing. I'm not taking a chance of finding out the hard way...
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Durango382

I agree with you. I figured there was an engineer somewhere that knew what he was doing. Doing the battery disconnect switch is just a turn of the dial. I would rather be safe. Thanks

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #78

GM called me back after I spent a ton of time on the phone with the customer service rep - she apparently took it up the ladder and come to find out, they're beginning to see the problem I've been having where intermittently when you disconnect the battery to tow it, when you reconnect and follow the steps to take the xfer case out of neutral, it won't go out of neutral and you get a D.I.C. message of the transfer case needing service.
I've been able to eventually get it out of neutral, but it requires reconnecting and disconnecting the battery and going through the steps multiple times. They say you can take it to the dealer and they'll clear the code, but the problem (since it's intermittent) can occur right away again - or not! So until they figure out the programming changes to cure it (versus just clearing a code), I will just keep trying until I get it, those times when it doesn't do what it's supposed to the first time.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #79

just wondering do you tow your truck ok i have 1500 ext. cab 4x4 getting ready to hit the road from bourne thought it would be to heavy what opinion thanks kenny
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #80

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got some pics of my truck...
So far window tint, removed the airdam, and built a cargo and dog platform for the ext-cab.

Great rig so far.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #81

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I did put a big rubber band around the key to prevent it from coming out. and stopped often to verify the steering wheel was still unlocked.
Can't see why you would even need to do that.

I tried out your method of shutting down but leaving the key in and you are absolutely correct - every thing shuts down and as long as you leave the key in the steering is unlocked.

Why woudn't GM just instruct to tow like that? Makes no sense to me.

The touch screen comes on as soon as you open the door. But as long as it stays closed everything is powered down.

Brilliant, I tell you.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #82

Wife was concerned that the key could some how come out of the ignition, so rubber band. I will probably not use the rubber band in the future.
I think GM not putting this procedure in the manual is CYA. I guess there is a possibility if someone had a huge amount of stuff on their key ring and made a violent left turn. Then the key could come out lock the steering wheel and the law suite would begin. When I tow there is there is nothing connected to the ignition key.
Has any Colorado/Canyon 4X4 owner had issue with the transfer case and light control switches being changed by being bumped by your knee when getting in or out of the truck. I have had this happen several times. I have advised GM of this issue but have not heard back.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #83

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Wife was concerned that the key could some how come out of the ignition, so rubber band. I will probably not use the rubber band in the future.
I think GM not putting this procedure in the manual is CYA. I guess there is a possibility if someone had a huge amount of stuff on their key ring and made a violent left turn. Then the key could come out lock the steering wheel and the law suite would begin. When I tow there is there is nothing connected to the ignition key.
Has any Colorado/Canyon 4X4 owner had issue with the transfer case and light control switches being changed by being bumped by your knee when getting in or out of the truck. I have had this happen several times. I have advised GM of this issue but have not heard back.
I completely undersand the paranoia, but see it as just that. There's no way the keys are going to fall out, and no way the headlight or TC selector is going to get bumped. At least not in my realm. LOL.

Not likely you'll hear from GM, and if you do it will be a canned CYA reply.

I'm going to fiddle with my setup somemore before utilizing the key-off key-in and leave the battery connected, but see it as the solution for towing. Also want to leave it set that way over a time period to make sure there isn't some kind of delayed locking or something, but I highly doubt that. Once the ignition is turned off and the doors are closed, everything in the vehicle shuts down - nav, lights, electric powersteering, TC selector, etc.

Good find!

BTW, are there any always-live 12v outlets up front for a brake unit?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #84

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, did GM go back to a steering lock on the new Colorado/Canyon. I like not having that on mine.

Glenn

Tags
colorado