Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #85

I HAVE bumped the light switch and transfer case switches getting in/out of the truck. First time it went into 4L, it was apparent when the truck would not go very fast. Second time I drove about a mile and saw it was in 4H. I have made it a habit to check the switch every time I get into the truck and several times I have found it in a positions other than 2H. Maybe it is just the way I get in and out. My knees are bad and I use the running boards getting in and out. Just want to make other owner aware it can happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #86

Chris
None of my 12 volt outlets are hot unless the key is on. If I needed a 12 volt outlet hot all the time I would consider running a wire from the battery to the existing 12 volt outlet in the console forward of the gear shift with an inline fuse. I think the passengers side of the console pulls off. That would give access to the outlet. Just a thought.
I might do that anyway. Then I could charge cell phone, golf gps or other stuff with the key off and truck locked.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #87

There's a thread on the coloradofans forum about swapping a fuse location to make the center stack 12v outlet constant on rather than switched. I have not verified veracity.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
There's a thread on the coloradofans forum about swapping a fuse location to make the center stack 12v outlet constant on rather than switched. I have not verified veracity.
That is correct, here is the post. Posted by THK on the Coloradofans Forum
"Here is the explanation and fix according to a dealer.
The vehicle is fitted with 12 V accessory power receptacles which are controlled by an ignition operated relay and only operate when the ignition is in the on or run postions. The accesssory power receptacles may be configured to be operational when the ignition is off by changing the postion of the 50A fuse from the F44DA position to the F40DA postion. These outlets will then run off the battery consistent with what is indicated in the Owners Manual"
I just switched the fuse and the post is correct. Both of my 12 volt outlets are now hot with the key off or on.
Thanks Moonshine94
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #89

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Change fuse location? That's fantastic!!

How do we find these fuse locations? Maybe it's printed on the fuse box cover?

Gotta love it...
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #90

The panel layout is in the owners manual. The fuse panel is located behind the passengers kick panel. It is a 50 amp fuse. The panel layout is also on the inside cover of the kick panel.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RedC

Thanks for the tip on the fuse. will change mine. I missed that on the other forum. and yes my knee hits that light switch alot also, lucky the chimes go off to remind me.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I HAVE bumped the light switch and transfer case switches getting in/out of the truck. First time it went into 4L, it was apparent when the truck would not go very fast. Second time I drove about a mile and saw it was in 4H. I have made it a habit to check the switch every time I get into the truck and several times I have found it in a positions other than 2H. Maybe it is just the way I get in and out. My knees are bad and I use the running boards getting in and out. Just want to make other owner aware it can happen.
It happened to me a couple of times when I first got it, but now it seems I don't hit the knobs any more. Annoying to say the least.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #93

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a very easy switcharoo...the red 50a fuse holder at the bottom between the 2 purple 15's has 3-blades - you just unplug it from the bottom 2 and plug it back in on the top two. I"m guessing the center is the source power. 50a is a pretty big fuse...I wonder what else it powers.

Yep...both 12v sockets are now live! Whoot!

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #94

Has anyone checked their fuel mileage? I have read that it is no better than a Silverado. We tow a Silverado and it weighs 6200 lbs.! Real weight s are usually 500 to 700 lbs. more than listed curb weights. I might wait for the Diesel or look at the Tacoma in the fall.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the CC, V6 with Long bed. Around town I have been getting 19-20. I have just over 2,000 miles on it. no extended trips so far, but some short highways events about 22.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #96

my lifetime average shows 19, I have just over 3200 miles. I drive 18 miles to work each way and it's 90% interstate. set the cruise on 75. So I'm sure i'd get a tad better if I drove 65. Have not weighed the truck yet, so I don't know where it fits in.

GMC Canyon, long bed, V6
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #97

Economy: 18-20 town. 6400 miles 2 long trips. At 75 mileage is 25-26 and at 65 27-29.
Weight: Z71 V6 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4. With tow gear installed including tow bar, full of fuel, spray in bed liner and cargo divider and with a few things under the back seat. Actual weight on scale is 4730. With the bed cover I have ordered I will be at 5000. We do not carry anything in the truck when towing it.
We have towed the Colorado 1200 miles with no issues. We know it is heavier that our old toad (totaled) we can feel it during acceleration. No difference at cruise or braking. No difference in MH mileage, still terrible.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #98

I just ordered a 2015 Colorado Z71 4 door short bed and will be getting it in about 10 weeks I have been watching this thread and have a few questions
1:How much did it cost to set it up to tow?
2:How does the built in WiFi work?Can you pick it up inside the Motorhome if it is parked behind it?
3: Do you use a Brake system?
I am sure I will have more questions when I get the truck
Thanks in advance

Tags
colorado