Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Confession is supposed to be good for the soul..........

Forgive me group, for I have committed a heinous transgression, in full public view, and tarnished the intangible but nevertheless existing cool points of all my fellow RVers, if only by implied association.

After 11 seasons of towing, I did the unthinkable. I pulled out with the toad's parking brake locked.
And drove.
Almost a mile.

I am sooo ashamed!

AND.................gulp.........they were new tires. Probably had less than 1,000 miles on them.

OMG the flat spotting! Whump whunp whump. Dangnabbit!

Thus far, my penance has been rolling into a tire store that carries that brand, and sheepishly asking to buy and install 2 identical new tires to replace what the dude was certain were new tires already........

BUT!! Silver lining kind of guy I am, I have spun this into the following take-aways:

1. Well, got that out of the way, so I won't be doing that again. Period
2. No harm no foul to others.
3. I didn't even notice the drag! Awesome! (a little bit of testosterone triggered power trip there) Pun intended, probably......

There. Confession complete. Back to living life...........
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Red face

Just so you won't feel too bad, I once drove off with our stick shift toad in 1st gear. Threw a rod in about a 1/4 mile. Were on our way to a club rally, so had to explain to all my friend's why we arrived without our toad. Talk about embarrassed!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just the reason I leave my rear monitor and speaker on for a short distance. The screaching tires should get my attention.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #4

I like that idea. sold! We heard the screeching because DW slid her window open and as we did a little bend........

I do regret not taking pictures of the 2 black stripes behind us.

Would've been a great BS story about, "so much power, why, just look at that burnout!"
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Almost did that this am. We just got a new toad set up. We were on our final leg home on a road trip. I have a check list, go from the front of the coach to the rear of the toad checking things, and opened the toad door to check it and found the pb engaged. Whew!

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

You are forgiven. Let the one who is without an error cast the first stone.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Community Administrator

In boating circles it's said if you haven't been aground , you haven't been around. I moved my MH with the toad in park twice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

I burned the park brake shoes right off on the first trip with our CRV leaving the park brake on. Had enough weight in the car that the wheels turned.
Now, I put the MH in gear and if it won't creep forward, we have a problem and deserves investigation.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #9

Ugh..... I can feel it in my gut just reading this.

The only thing that I do not like about our Cherokee is the electronic parking brake. With a handle, you can see if it's up or down. With the electronic brake it's a maybe, maybe the light is on, or maybe it's off, is the sun hitting the little light that makes it look like it's off, etc., and it will actually automatically engage I some instances which are noted in the manual.

Our final departure check off, is what we call the rolling toad check. One of us in the coach, one standing outside by the toad with Walkie talkies. Check the brake lights and turn signals. Then, slowly start moving the coach forward. The toad watcher starts standing next to the LR wheel as that is where the parking brake is (and yes, we have already caught one time where it was on). Then walk around the toad several times just to make sure everything is rolling smoothly and quietly which ensures the jeep is properly in tow mode. Also check the tow bar is properly extended and locked, and the bar connections are good.

If we can, we'll do this for 50 yards or so.

And yes, even do this if we have not unhooked during an over nighter.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We were ready to roll - all hooked up and 200 miles ahead of us. Climbed in the driver seat and said to the wife "something doesn't "feel" right." Just about to hit the D and didn't. Got out out and walked back to the wrangler and to check the set up. Everything looked right except I had not put the transfer in N and the transmission in P !!! I was a little hurried that morning and now my procedure is to never place the brake unit RV brake 2 in until the tranny/transfer is right. Close one!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

School of Hard Knocks can be an effective education!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Confession may be good for the soul, but it is very bad for my reputation!"
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
School of Hard Knocks can be an effective education!
And sometimes expensive.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #14

Been there, done that. Fortunately, we were still in the campground with a stone driveway and saw the rear wheels not turning in my mirror. Nowadays, I do as others have noted and get out to walk around one more time just in case. Also left the antenna up once. Fortunately it hit a small tree branch and we heard it with no damage. When we stopped, one of our fellow campers was chasing me down in his car to warn me. Great folks you meet when camping.!!
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote