Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Location: Home base Lakeland, Fl, summers Columbus, Oh and points north
Confusion on weight ratings

I have a bit of confusion with weight ratings for my 2014 FR Georgetown 378XL. FR states a 24,000 GVWR and a 30,000 GCWR.

My Ford chassis has a 9000 front axle and a 15000 rear axle rating.
I had my coach weighed while we were on the road this summer with full gas, 2/3 water and some in the black and grey tanks while pulling our toad. Front axle was 7000, rear 15,000 and toad at 4600. I have a 5000 lb rated hitch.

I am "thinking " about trading toads and maybe doing a tandem tow deal so I can haul my motorcycle.

Presently it looks like I have 2000 lbs left on the front axle and/or a bunch of weight I can add to my toad weight to hit a Fr GCWR rating of 30000. Upgraded hitch needed for certain! Something does not seem correct here with my math reasoning LOL. We did a 5000 mile out west trip this year weighed as above and the coach handled everything just fine but I am a bit concerned about adding too much more weight. Thanks in advance for knowledgable input
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ed I would weigh with full fuel and the fresh water tank as full as you always travel also loaded with everything you normally take including the family members also good to have each wheel weighed ( air tires to highest weight) as far as the double tow if you upgrade your hitch and if it's legal in the state you travel to double tow. The extra tow weight for a bike and trailer should not be a problem .
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks. For the info. Just to be a little clearer--- my weights were just as we travel and was done after we fueled up at a Flying J so we were at "Max" weight. The tow dolly I am thinking of would NOT mean I would be double towing. It is a tandem tow dolly that allows you to carry a golf cart/ motorcycle etc ahead of the car on the car dolly. Basically a platform ahead of the car. It all one piece. It would add about 1800 lbs to my tow weight if I kept my present toad.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
According to the weights you gave us, your rear axle is at it's rated limit. Your proposed tandem tow dolly is going to put your over your axle limit. The other weights really don't matter as much if you are exceeding your rear axle limit. The motorcycle sitting on the tow dolly tongue is going to add significant weight to your rear axle. I wouldn't do it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Your weights show you are at max. RAWR of 15,000, now ; the platform dolly will add hitch weight, and put you over, on the rear.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think your tongue weight is going to add to your rear weight according to the bike weight ahead of the dolly tires and it multiplies the further the duels are from the weight, I think I would add equalizer to the dolly to transfer some of the weight to the front axel where you have 2000 lb to give.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdB Wingman View Post
I have a bit of confusion with weight ratings for my 2014 FR Georgetown 378XL. FR states a 24,000 GVWR and a 30,000 GCWR.

My Ford chassis has a 9000 front axle and a 15000 rear axle rating.
I had my coach weighed while we were on the road this summer with full gas, 2/3 water and some in the black and grey tanks while pulling our toad. Front axle was 7000, rear 15,000 and toad at 4600. I have a 5000 lb rated hitch.

I am "thinking " about trading toads and maybe doing a tandem tow deal so I can haul my motorcycle.

Presently it looks like I have 2000 lbs left on the front axle and/or a bunch of weight I can add to my toad weight to hit a Fr GCWR rating of 30000. Upgraded hitch needed for certain! Something does not seem correct here with my math reasoning LOL. We did a 5000 mile out west trip this year weighed as above and the coach handled everything just fine but I am a bit concerned about adding too much more weight. Thanks in advance for knowledgable input
Ed,
I ran over 8,000 miles with 3,000 lbs. OVER THE REAR AXLE WEIGHT LIMIT and never had one issue what so ever. Now, do I advocate you do the same thing, nope, not at all. I would be more inclined to advise you, just like the others have done and that would be to stay as close to your rear axle weight limit as you can.

Now, having said that, I don't know just how those tandem tow dollies are setup or, what kind of wheel pad adjustment for the car (forward or backward adjustment) they might have. But, if you find one that can or, does have wheel pad adjustment and, it can be adjusted to "compensate" for additional front weight (your motor cycle on the front), you may, just may end up with minimal, additional tongue weight. Again, you'll have to do some research on this matter and, contact tandem tow dolly companies to get THEIR input.

Now, having said all that, I have a possible other suggestion for you. We used to carry our Honda Goldwing on a Hydralift, on the back of our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 HP CAT and, due to the placement of the lift and it's weight, along with the weight of the bike, we were, like stated, a considerable amount OVERWEIGHT on the rear axle. We NEVER had any issues.

But, what I was going to suggest to you is, just what we have done. And that is, we changed our "M. O." as cops put it, to a new toad, which is a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 extended bed and, we now carry our Honda Goldwing, on a "Rampage" lift, in the back of that truck. There is now, NO WEIGHT on the back of the coach.

But, will this system work for you? You'd have to check into that to see. And, it also mandates you change to a truck as a toad. Now, you don't have to go to a full sized truck. There are some out there that haul their bikes in a smaller version truck like, certain models Ford Ranger, GMC Canyon or, Chevy Colorado. Both will do the trick there and, they're lighter than full sized trucks. Just something to think about. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

I see that , Roger , Walt and I were posting the same info at the same time .
If you have no way of moving weight forward; transfer your luggage and other gear so you can lighten the rear axle by 500 + lbs.; your dolly plan is going to put you in , an overloaded rear axle situation. With all the associated handling and possible tire issues that come with it.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #9

Thanks for the info/opinions. The tow dolly will add some, under 500 lbs to my hitch weight. I could and probably should dump some of my fresh water tank when traveling. It would lighten the rear load a few 100lbs. I have several friends who have a truck bed type MC lift and they like it. They pull TT's. On our recent western trip I saw every combination I could think of used to haul a MC and I talked to many of them. I am thinking that putting the bike in a pickup bed will be the way I go. I still need to upgrade the hitch and maybe my tow bar depending on total weight. Based on the math, assuming no additional weight on the rear axle. I could have a total "toad" weight--- truck, bike and lift of 8000 lbs and then be at the Max GCWR. I know I can get it done for 7000 lbs or less based on using one of the smaller trucks or maybe the new aluminum Ford F150.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #10

What you propose with the triple is illegal anywhere in Florida. There is some commercial triple done but requires special permit by commercial companies such as UPS & the roads they can do it on are very restricted.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
What you propose with the triple is illegal anywhere in Florida. There is some commercial triple done but requires special permit by commercial companies such as UPS & the roads they can do it on are very restricted.
The OP used the wort "tandem" in his first post, but clarified in Post #3 he meant a tandem dolly NOT a tandem tow. It's a dolly for the toad with a platform on the front for the motorcycle.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Guys here is a file that will help you figure your axle weight of a load on the rear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Axel weight.pdf (38.0 KB, 55 views)

Tags
weight