Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
Goin for it !!

Well this morning I'M bringing my 2007 Honda Accord into the shop to get it set up for my toad -- After reading all the responses here and on other sites 75% of you say the Accord is good to tow if you follow Honda's previous procedures and about 25% say I'm nuts for try to tow a car my owners manual says tow ( 4 down ) only in emergencies ! -- I guess I'll find out who's right soon enough --- My main reason in taking this gamble is based on Remco's literature saying it's OK to tow as is ( by following Honda procedure ) Remco wants to sell Lube Pumps and yet they say I don't need one -- Sounds like a good gamble to me --- What do you all think

HR. Atlantis w/ Honda Accord Toad
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be just fine without a transmission pump. Just follow your "procedures" an do not tow too many miles in one day without running the car engine some. Before I switched to my manual Honda I was towing an automatic Honda. I only switched to have an easier setup to tow.

Happy towing!

Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
On the CR-V 07 if you have a battery problem which I have had it is Fuse#34 top left in fuse box under dash. I have not pulled it as I think it will be a pane in the A** to get out and even harder to get back in. Honda tells me the computer draws the battery down after 8hrs. or so. I will run the engine a little longer at rstops.GOOD LUCK!!
Mike , Leslie and Heather and Maggie Canine Traveler
2001 34' Dutchstar, Ford ,Double Slide
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO, that is too much trouble to remember every day. Eventually, you will forget to do the routine and be towing a dead toad. I much prefer to buy a vehicle certified by the factory to be towed four down, just put it in neutral and leave the switch on acc.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
SteveG said.....

1)Start Vehicle, let the engine run for 5 minutes, then (with your foot on the brake) run the transmission down thru the gears, then back up to reverse and back to neutral.

This is EXACTLY why Honda said.....NO MORE! And if I was Honda, I would be doing the same thing...they got tired of paying for trannies under warranty when owners cannot remember to follow a specific sequence and screwed up the machine...at Honda's expense...and even worse, to disseminate this wrong info to others...
2006 Mountain Aire 43 and 05 Honda Pilot
Air Force One..Real Whirlpool Fridge !
3 sugar gliders, long hair daschund and short hair wife for security
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
What do you do

Thanks for all the input folks --
footdoc -- Steve did realize his goof and corrected it -- I'll use this procedure -- through the gears -- R / D /D2/D1/D2/D/N for 3 mins. Is that what you use ?
HR. Atlantis w/ Honda Accord Toad
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I have towed two accords and now a CRV with out any problems for may miles. I still have a copy of the Accord Owners manual with specific instructions. The procedure may vary a little from year to year but the basics are the same. Filling the transmission valve bodies by shifting through the postions with fluid and your good to go for an average day of towing. As previously stated, if you will be towing for more than 8 hours which in most cases would invlove a fuel stop, run through the routine again while still hooked up.
I cant imagine it being any easier than what Honda used to allow. As in most cases, the attorneys had to jump in.
If you would like a copy from my older 2002 accord manul PM me and I wll scan and send it to you. Don't forget the brake system!
Happy Motoring
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club

You don't have to run it through the gears for 3 minutes. Just make sure you run your engine for 3 - 5 minutes to circulate the trans fluid. One time through the gear is enough. Just make sure you do this procedure every time you start. I also do it every time I fuel up.
2014 Thor Miramar 34.1
2012 VW Golf TDI - 6-speed manual (3 pedals!)
Better half, 2 sons-18 & 16
GA Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Fl Fred,
I'm pretty much with Ga cajun. I start the engine and go right to the lowest gear, skipping reverse, working my way up toward neutral staying in each gear for 1 min or so. I do let it run at idle in neutral for 2-3 minutes then shut the sucka off. I go through it again at our lunch stop. 6 years with no problem.
Houma, La Cajun

2015 LADP, Destin, Fl
2010 Buick Enclave, SMI AFOne
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote