Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Confusion reigns !!! Accord Toad

OK , I'm a newbie -- but -- I can walk and chew gum at the same time ! - But this has me confused --- I got all kinds of info from this forum about preparing my Buick to tow 4 down and other alternatives - So I find a great 2007 Honda Accord -- I look up on Motor home's dingy towing list and no Accord listed only the CRV -- So I check on Remco's site and find Remco says towable AS IS ?? -- What gives ? Please advise this confused newbie
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What does your the owners manual say, MH Mag has been know to make mistakes.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Honda used to approve the Accord for towing, but an exact sequence of engine starting, gear shifting, etc, actions were mandatory to prevent transmission damage.

Too many folks did not follow the exact procedure and Honda grew tired of replacing damaged transmissions under warranty so they no longer approve the Accord for towing.

Many folks are still towing Accords, following the prescribed procedure, but there is no warranty for trans damage. You're on your own.

Some of our Accord towers will clarify.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are towing a 2006 Honda Civic with manual transmission. No problems, ever! 15,000 towed miles. Previously we were towing a 2004 Civic with an automatic transmission, there is a "standard" setup and tow procedure you MUST follow to tow the auto transmission. You can find this procedure in other posts. I switched to the manual trans, cause the setup to tow and followup procedures are SO much simpler.

Next the MH mag is not the word to end all words, its more general advise, and it only lists those cars that the manufacturers say are ok to town 4 down, and it still misses a few. Really LOTS of folks tow 4 down all sorts of vehicles that are not listed in this mag. An yes your on your own for the most part.

A 2007 Accord is no longer under any manufacturers warranty, so there you go, on your own. An there are LOTS of Accords being towed out there on the road. Just follow the setup to tow procedure and you will OK also.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dirk is correct. Most, if not all, Hondas are towable 4-down. Honda no longer wanted the warranty liability.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

What a great site this is --- Great responses and quick too !! --- Thanks all, I'm off to the car dealer to read the towing procedure in the owners manual and if I can do it without an engineering degree, I'll buy the car -- Thanks again guys
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

You should also take a look at Jeeps. With a transfer case that has a neutral position they are easily towable all four down. I have three different models....call me crazy
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA FRED View Post
What a great site this is --- Great responses and quick too !! --- Thanks all, I'm off to the car dealer to read the towing procedure in the owners manual and if I can do it without an engineering degree, I'll buy the car -- Thanks again guys
The owners manual is likely to say nothing about recreational towing since Honda officially disapproves. From what I understand, older manuals didn't have the procedure, but Honda would give it to you if you called. But, but from what I hear, they won't even do that anymore.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flordia Fred, the Honda tow procedure will be:
1)Start Vehicle, let the engine run for 5 minutes, then (with your foot on the brake) run the transmission down thru the gears, then back up to reverse and back to neutral. Leave in neutral. [This procedure will circulate fluid in the transmission] Its also best to have the vehicle attached to the tow bar at this time, that way you can also leave the hand(parking) brake off.
2)Turn the engine off, MAKING sure the key is in position #1, all accessories are off (including radio and cruse control). [Key position #1 allows the steering wheel to freely move while towing]. Check to see the wheel will turn with your steering wheel.
3)EVERY time you stop the Motorhome for fuel, go thru procedure #1 and #2 AGAIN. Never tow more than 300 or so miles, without turning the toads engine over and doing #1 and #2.

If you are using a device like BreakBuddy, be aware that you may discharge the tow vehicle battery while towing if you do not use an add on device like this: TOAD-CHARGE™ - Toad-Charge. It can be a real hassle to have a dead battery in your toad, I keep a handy jumper cable, but the hassle is to move the MH close enough to the toad to attach the jumper cable. Then stopping and running the toad's engine every 300 miles would also keep the toads battery charged. So its another option.

So thats what you need to do. If I missed something, I am sure someone else will step in an help.

You can see why I opted to move to a manual transmission. I just put the car in neutral and key in position #1, then tow all day and the next and the next if I am really moving. Never messing with the car till I need to use it. Oh and I am using the toad-charge devise so I have a toad battery that works.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve, the owners manual for my Honda cr-v specifically states do not shift from reverse to neutral, but that you must make the last shift from Dr. to N. It also so says to let it run 3 min. after shifting to N before shutting the engine down. I hope this dosen't confuse the OP further. Also the manual says to redo the procedure after 8 hours, I personally set a 6 hour limit.

Glenn
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK. Its been a while since I did this, cause I am now towing a manual Transmission Honda. Time kind of erodes the ol' memory. So your info. is what Fred should follow. Thanks for chipping in.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #12

Thanks again folks --- Great info - My 2007 Accord manual says for "emergency" towing 4 wheels down - Start the Eng. / Shift to D / Shift to N / Turn off the Eng. / Leave ignition in Accessory position --- I'll also repeat this procedure every 200-250 miles when I gas up. -- Hopefully that will be enough to avoid transmission problems. But -- No one mentioned removing any fuses before towing - Do I have to ?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #13

Fl Fred,
I flat tow a Pilot and find it convienent to cycle the trans when we stop at a rest area either for lunch or a late morning coffee break. Truck stops/gas stations always seem too busy to me.
Also, if you're in a pull through for the night and not disconnecting don't forget to turn off the ignition key or you'll run the battery down. The way I remember to get it ready to tow in the am is to put the honda keys on top of the mh ignition key.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not aware of any fuse that needs to be pulled.