Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Controller sensor

Still trying to install P2 controller on my 2011 Monaco Knight. Problem is I can't find the wire from the brake peddle. All there is are some air tubes, no wires. So, I was thinking I could make this allot easier by running a sensor wire from the center brake light in the rear of the RV. This light only comes on when the brakes are applied.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Controller sensor

What chassis? My Freightliner XCM, 2012, has a plug for the brake contoller way up behind the steering column under the dash. I had to lay on my back and scoot underneath with a really bright flashlight to find it. I had to make a pigtail, but I think you can buy one on Amazon now. I found more help here than with Fleetwood or Freightliner.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Old 02-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
What chassis? My Freightliner XCM, 2012, has a plug for the brake contoller way up behind the steering column under the dash. I had to lay on my back and scoot underneath with a really bright flashlight to find it. I had to make a pigtail, but I think you can buy one on Amazon now. I found more help here than with Fleetwood or Freightliner.

Roadmaster. Still, the question is can I take the sender from the rear center brake light?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you can't find the pre-wired bundle under the dash then try looking in the 12v chassis control/fuse bay (front left bay). In there you will find the wire(s) you need including the fused circuits for the pre-wired bundle but it might be a challenge to find them.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

I did find the 4 wires and the connector under and left of the steering wheel. They are all white and somewhat marked. I will test them to see if when I push the brake one of them will come on.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Controller sensor

Great, that makes it so much easier.

I found this thread:
Trailer Brakes Roadmaster/Monaco/HR

And this google search for images:
roadmaster motorhome chassis brake controller pigtail plug

Etrailer was very helpful to me.

I ended up buying pins for soldering onto the wiring ends and an empty plug to fit my pigtail.

Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand. If you have the Roadmaster trailer brake connector in hand, why do you want to connect to the center brake light? The trailer brake connector has everything you need (12v line, lights, and brake) to connect to your P2 controller......however, you may need an adapter pig tail to mate the trailer brake connector with your P2 connector. Prodigy will have this adapter.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand. If you have the Roadmaster trailer brake connector in hand, why do you want to connect to the center brake light? The trailer brake connector has everything you need (12v line, lights, and brake) to connect to your P2 controller......however, you may need an adapter pig tail to mate the trailer brake connector with your P2 connector. Prodigy will have this adapter.

Good luck

Ron
OK, I did find the cable and it has what I want. I checked the connector and here is what I see.
1- Ground
2- Brake B+ comes on when I push the brake.
3- B+
4- B+

OK, so why do I have two pins that are B+? One should be the Brake wire to the back connector.

I think the guy before me did some real bad wiring. This is what caused ll the problems. I'm going to use all but the smallest B+ and run a 12 gauge blue wire to the back connector.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #9

Just got a e mail from Prodigy and they say that it's OK to use the third brake light as a sensor source as long as the light doesn't come on when the turn signals are on.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

The 4 wires you found, should be:

Ground
+12V
Brake wire in
Brake wire out

Ground and +12V will supply power to your brake controller
Brake wire in - This is the wire from your brake light switch. It will show 12V when the brake pedal is activated.
The last wire is the wire that goes to the pin on your 7-way connector at the back of the motorhome. The voltage on this wire will vary, as it is the output lead from the brake controller.

Hope this helps.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote