Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
Are there any convertible automatics that are towable 4 down?? Have a black lab that will going along with us in the toad.
my smart has a sequential 5 speed tranny with an automatic clutch. there is no clutch pedal. it can shift itself or the gears can be manually selected.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
my smart has a sequential 5 speed tranny with an automatic clutch. there is no clutch pedal. it can shift itself or the gears can be manually selected.
I just bought a 2009 Cabriolet Passion Limited Edition, very nice and very well finished with leather steering and gear knob, leather and fabric material seats and even half the dash board is covered with leather so are the inner part of the doors.
I've ordered a "battery kill switch" to tow it and what else is there to do to tow that "Smart car" ?
I call my Smart my "little frog" since it is a light green melon colour with that large silver base stripe going to the roll bar.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
normandlegra,
Napa has a good battery disconnect device. you unscrew a knob to disconnect the battery.
you must follow the checklists on pages 49 and 204 of the owners manual. this checklist will tell you when to disconnect the battery.
you will notice that you must leave a key in the ignition switch with it in the off position. it is not possible to remove the key or lock the doors with the battery disconnected.
we use uhaul tow lights mounted under the top rear hatch.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
DanL,
which do you disconnect the negative or the positive side of the battery ?
I hate to bother a dealer for that simple question.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Chrysler convertibles had been listed as towable, 4 down (with automatic) but they do take some modification (will need to add a transmission "lube pump")
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The Chrysler convertibles had been listed as towable, 4 down (with automatic) but they do take some modification (will need to add a transmission "lube pump")
Do you need one ? I got one for sale $500. ! It fits on a PT Cruiser 2005-2012 and probably other Chrysler products.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
DanL,
negative side.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
negative side.
Thank you Sir
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
DanL,
Always disconnect the negative battery cable first, when working on batteries. If your installing a disconnect switch , install it in the negative cable.

EDIT: Note to self , Read all posts before responding.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #24

We toad a Mini Cooper convertible. It great to enjoy a sunny day when exploring an area where we are camping.

The MiniClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433351993.399977.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	96117 works great although you can't see it while towing.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I find the term "towable" in that case a bit broad, if it requires a +$600 pump! Many more cars could be qualified as "towable" if you crawl under and disconnect the drive shaft, or add a disconnect coupler. I thought "towable" meant without any modification, except of course adding a base plate.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy what you want and load it on a car hauler trailer. That's what I do with my DW Mustang GT convertible.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I find the term "towable" in that case a bit broad, if it requires a +$600 pump! Many more cars could be qualified as "towable" if you crawl under and disconnect the drive shaft, or add a disconnect coupler. I thought "towable" meant without any modification, except of course adding a base plate.
While I understand your thoughts, fact is every toad needs some modification to be flat towable, I include that base plate as one of them, of course some kind of connection to the tail lights and a supplemental brake. I expand my definition to include a one time installation of something like a lube pump, or even a drive shaft disconnect that facilitates fast and easy hook up there after. These products are available in the aftermarket and widely used.

I doubt any would include having to crawl under the vehicle to manually disconnect and later again to reconnect the driveshaft as either practical or desirable, although I have seen it out on the road.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Skip426, that and some tail lights arrangement are the modifications required to tow our Smart for two cars except having to install a baseplate, I don't think that people would use "tie wraps" to tow it.
I don't even think that we need some additional braking system fro a car that weights 1800 lbs !

Tags
toad