Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #29

Most states require a brake system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Thanks Skip426, that and some tail lights arrangement are the modifications required to tow our Smart for two cars except having to install a baseplate, I don't think that people would use "tie wraps" to tow it.
I don't even think that we need some additional braking system fro a car that weights 1800 lbs !
What happens if the car becomes disconnected? Without a braking system and break-a-way device, your car would roll until it hits something or someone.

Experiment: Take your little 1,800 pound car out to a large, flat parking lot. Get out and start pushing it at just a walking pace. Then run around to the front and try and stop it. Momentum is best handled by a braking system. Someday, with the need of an emergency stop, you may want the braking action of those 4 wheels to assist you in stopping!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
I'm not sure that everyone has the brake away feature on their towed vehicule! I've never seen a car brake loose behind a motorhome, unless it was a bad or homemade baseplate that a farmer built him self !
Since 2001 I've towed different cars on 4 wheels and for the last 4 years I towed a dolly for my Santa Fe VUS. From 2001-2004 the brake away system was never installed on that car; from 2004-2011, I bought and installed the brake feature on a 2004 Malibu MAXX; from 2011-2015, I've towed a dolly that did not have a brake away feature and I don't even know if that exists for dollys.
A solid baseplate with safety cables and proper lights for the toad is what is safe and required by law.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have seen posts here of vehicles that broke free. Its been a while so I can't find one but I remember one was a Jeep Wrangler. I don't remember what caused the separation. As I recall that Jeep ended up in a cow pasture rather than in opposing traffic - just dumb luck.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I'm not sure that everyone has the brake away feature on their towed vehicule! I've never seen a car brake loose behind a motorhome, unless it was a bad or homemade baseplate that a farmer built him self !
Since 2001 I've towed different cars on 4 wheels and for the last 4 years I towed a dolly for my Santa Fe VUS. From 2001-2004 the brake away system was never installed on that car; from 2004-2011, I bought and installed the brake feature on a 2004 Malibu MAXX; from 2011-2015, I've towed a dolly that did not have a brake away feature and I don't even know if that exists for dollys.
A solid baseplate with safety cables and proper lights for the toad is what is safe and required by law.
I love your argument, very similar to, "I've driven XXXXX miles and never needed a YYY." I've never needed air bags or seat belts, but I wouldn't drive without them!

In addition, you need to pick your routes carefully, there are some states that require brakes and a break-a-way system, even on a towed vehicle like yours.

Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Even in states that don't have laws against it, I believe the laws of physics are in force in all states. Is your life and the safety of others so unimportant you feel it's worth saving a few hundred dollars?

Bob & Donna
Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an 05 pt Cruiser vert. Tows great and you don't even know it's back there.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 AM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
As anyone in all of your travellings seen a toad vehicule brake away from a towbar ? I personnaly have seen a 53 footer break away from a truck tractor but have never seen a brake away vehicule coming loose from a motorhome.
How many of you ajust the braking system of the toad as it should be ? I've seen some that did have the "brake buddy" on the floor and connected to the brake pedal but without any ajustment or power to operate it normally, the reason was "it is too long to install it properly" ! Thanks but no thanks.
I wonder if tent-trailers or dollys have a "brake away" system ?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
We have an 05 pt Cruiser vert. Tows great and you don't even know it's back there.
Acceleration and braking of a large RV is of course not very peppy, so you won't notice a towed car - - - Until you do. A long down grade, emergency maneuver, then you'll know it's there and wish it wasn't.

Quote:
As anyone in all of your travellings seen a toad vehicule brake away from a towbar ? I personnaly have seen a 53 footer break away from a truck tractor but have never seen a brake away vehicule coming loose from a motorhome.
How many of you ajust the braking system of the toad as it should be ? I've seen some that did have the "brake buddy" on the floor and connected to the brake pedal but without any ajustment or power to operate it normally, the reason was "it is too long to install it properly" ! Thanks but no thanks.
I wonder if tent-trailers or dollys have a "brake away" system ?

Check out this website to get better informed. Yes, it's a bit over the top, but non-commercial trailer accidents DO happen.

Dangerous Trailers.org

Our wonderful news media only reports on stories that follow trends. A number of years ago a spectacular tanker truck fire caused news outlets to suddenly report on every tanker incident, made it sound like a national emergency. Turns out that statistically there was not increase in incidents had happened, just the reporting had focused on the topic of "tanker truck incidents." Right now it seems to be AmTrack incidents and transgender modifications.

The last time I recall RV accidents were nationally reported was a truck converted into an RV with an underage driver killing multiple members of his family in the midwest. It caused a blip on the national media, but quickly died out. If a break-a-way trailer or towed car wipes out a family, it will draw national interest and focus, but then be buried behind the latest from the Kardashian\Jenner 'news.'

Bob & Donna
Old 06-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I remember someone reporting a breakaway toad in Colorado coming down a grade.
the search function of this forum doesn't work for me anymore.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad