Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Cool Tech out - Mopar Harness In

After participating and reading numerous threads I felt it time to replace my Cool Tech harness and install the Mopar harness on my 14 Jeep Wrangler. Found from these threads that the Cool Tech will give you lights but has a flaw that creates a conflict between brake light and blinker. This was confirmed by the owner of Cool Tech by describing it as Wash Out. Also the Cool Tech harness may provide an electrical feedback to my MH. This is what really made me want to change. To much money in MH and Toad to risk damage. This was discussed in length by some others in threads. The Mopar harness solves these issues and has no Cons that I learned.

I do not understand all the electrical actions that these harnesses perform and am a rookie with electrical. I had become uncomfortable with how the Cool Tech performs versus how I thought it did/should. It had not caused me any problems yet. I know many people use the Cool Tech and are happy with it and that is good. I am only relating my experience and how I have reacted. Maybe an over reaction but a cheap upgrade considering possible downside costs.

Funny thing about all this is I only purchased the Cool Tech due to ease of installation compared to many saying the Mopar was PITA. I would like to say the installation was very simple and only a 2 hr. experience. New costs were $150 delivered.

My thanks for much of this education go out to FLSteve with pic's and his experience with install, Redridge with explanation of electrical feedback potential, and Owner of Cool Tech with his explanation of how his harness works.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
osok ... glad I was of some help. I have learned so much from this forum and always like to pass it on when I can. Now a couple questions?

1) Did you have any problems getting the harness plugged in under the glove compartment (the hardest step for me) and 2) what size hole did you drill?????

Steve

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
osok ... glad I was of some help. I have learned so much from this forum and always like to pass it on when I can. Now a couple questions?

1) Did you have any problems getting the harness plugged in under the glove compartment (the hardest step for me) and 2) what size hole did you drill?????

Steve
Steve, due to your experience and some others with the plug, I was better prepared. First practiced on harness how the gray locking mechanism released. Then used a long screw driver with one hand to push on black plastic release and with other hand moved locking mechanism. Had it released and harness plugged, in about 2 minutes. Without all the shared experiences I probably would have been twisted like a pretzel across the door seal for more time than I want to think.

I only had a 1-1/2" hole saw so I closely held it beside the plug and then measured the plug. Drilled the hole and happy with how tight plug fit. Still took a bit of work to get plug through the hole.