Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Cool Tech Wiring Harness - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Received the cool tech wiring harness. Installed as directed. I have the factory towing so I had to splice into the one white/yellow wire. Wired the 4 prong at the front as directed. Checked Jeep after initial wiring and all lights worked - blinker, stop, running lights. Plugged into Motorhome (2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40x) and the signals both worked. Could not check brake as wife wasn't home. Turned on motorhome lights and didn't see either light on jeep illuminated. It was bright sun so thought I would check later. Unplugged jeep from motorhome and parked in driveway.

Got back in jeep later and dash warning came on that my right blinker bulb was out. Thought I blew a bulb so bought another bulb. Its not the bulb. Now the right taillight isn't functioning at all - either disconnected or connected to motorhome. I have emailed cool tech - waiting on response.

We are doing our first tow this friday so a bit of a rush. Have searched forum and found other issues with cool tech but not this particular issue.

anyone have any ideas?

My local dodge dealer has the Mopar harness in stock so I could go buy that in a pinch. Just worried something is fouled up that is "bigger" than the cool tech harness.

Thanks!
timbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Can you quickly remove the Cooltech and make sure everything is working properly? Sometimes better to start from scratch and double check. I would think it would be something with the harness.

I went with the Demco, it was plug and play with no splicing on my 2015.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

I had all kinds of blown fuses and non working lights when I installed my cool tech harness and their customer service was zero help other than to tell me that I had installed it improperly. I removed and re installed the harness three times and still had problems. It turned out that the umbilical was the problem. The wires were never tightened in the plug ends and would sometimes make a connection that would ohm through but would short out under use. I rewired the umbilical and all works now.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

thanks everyone for responding. I actually stopped by local jeep dealer and purchased the mopar harness in case I needed to try that one. However, before going that route I decided to do a little more troubleshooting with a clear head....

1. cool tech "customer service" responded to my email request for assistance but in the first sentence of their response they told me that i should have looked at the troubleshooting guide that came with my order. That would have been great if I actually got a troubleshooting guide but I didn't. I only received the installation instructions. then they proceeded to tell me how to troubleshoot a problem I wasn't having and didn't address the problem i was having. tried to call them but their voicemail says to use the email and that voicemails usually aren't returned for 48 hours.
2. so, i unplugged the 2 block connectors in the back left light and restored factory connection to see if lights worked. they didn't. hmmmmm
3. i then took out the splice of the cool tech yellow wire into the harness that goes over to the right taillight and everything worked fine with the jeep lights. hmmmm. I had to use this splice because i have the factory tow harness and cool tech instruction say if you have the factory tow harness you need to use the splice.
4. i then hooked the cool tech block connectors back into the factor connectors and left the yellow wire unspliced. everything still works...

so - I am now NOT hooked up the way the directions say I should be hooked up but things seem to be working. Not sure what wont work. Need to now teather to coach to see if everything works. not sure what wont work - assuming something on the jeep factory tow harness wont work right. maybe the 4 prong plug at the rear of the jeep wont pass right signals to any trailer i use???
Old 09-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #5

BTW - nice to see some SEC replies.... GO DAWGS!!!!! ('87 Georgia grad)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
On my wrangler I ended up putting 6 inch oval led tail lights in the rear bumper to avoid any issues with Jeep oem wiring. It took only putting a 3/4 in hole in the flat part of the bumper on each side and then screwing the oval down. Wires run to the front and connect to motor home on hook up. The bumper is mostly plastic and easy to work with. hope this helps. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a brand new Cool-Tech harness sitting in a box in the garage. I ended up buying the Mopar harness. I have a feeling Mopar uses relays/diodes in their harness as you probably should not be back feeding a CANBUS electrical system, the Cool-Tech harness does not have them, and if you do get someone to help with support, they will tell you to disconnect the battery on the Jeep, and they will sell you a device to do it. My Jeep has the factory rear tow harness.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo63 View Post
BTW - nice to see some SEC replies.... GO DAWGS!!!!! ('87 Georgia grad)
Timbo, You going to Jax? Already renewed our spot for this year!!
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #9

I wish Boost.... Been there many times. Not this year. Can't fit it in....

Tags
wiring