Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #15

Well it's fixed! Talked to Cool Tech this morning and after going over everything we had checked up until now, we decided to work backwards. I reinstalled the harness at the left taillight , turned on the Jeep lights and used a test light to check power at the 4 pin plug at the front bumper. Everything checked as it should, so I hooked up the umbilical to the Jeep and checked the 7 pin plug that is supposed to plug to the MH and again everything checked ok. I had the test light ground attached directly to the Jeep frame at this time, as mentioned in this post, it acted like a ground problem. When I hooked the ground clip of the test light to the ground in the 7 pin plug, I got dim lights. I disassembled the 7 pin plug on the umbilical and the brown ground wire was inserted into the connection but the screw wasn't tighten. I tightened the screw on the ground wire and hooked the umbilical to my tow vehicle and tada! It now works! It took a week, 20 emails and a lot of hair pulling, but it now works. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

My Jeep has the factory trailer plug that plugs into the left rear tail light. The Cool Tech harness hooks in with these plugs, you end up with three connections instead of two. Cool Tech has directions for instalation with or without the trailer plug.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hooray! Glad you got it working, Roger. I just wish CoolTech was more responsive to customer support concerns.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Are those that are having problems, do you have a hitch and wiring (on rear) ether from the factory or aftermarket? I haven't bought the cool tech harness yet but doesn't it plug into the rear tail light wiring? And doesn't the factory tow hitch wiring also plug into the same connector? I don't have a hitch so I don't have the wiring back there to check. Maybe there is a problem with both being pluged into the same harness together.
I'm not one having a problem, but you are correct...the CoolTech harness plugs in the rear tail light of the Jeep.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, that's what I said. It is a grounding problem. It fixed my wiring setup last year. I figured it out on my own because the CoolTech support was worthless.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Rodger ,I am glad you have it up and running and found the problem. Safe travels.....
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
I was about to buy one of their harnesses for my 2012 but I'll have to re-think buying it now with other having problems getting it to work when it's supposed to be a plug in product.
problems like this is why i chose to drill and add separate bulbs ,plus no issues for warranty claims . my whole install was about 2 hours it was just like wiring any other trailer .
brianj
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
problems like this is why i chose to drill and add separate bulbs ,plus no issues for warranty claims . my whole install was about 2 hours it was just like wiring any other trailer .
brianj
I guess I have to disagree somewhat. I used the Cooltech harness on my JK and did the separate bulbs on my F150. I hate the F150 installation. It is not sealed from moisture. I could not get all of the plastic out of the housing. Some day I will probably replace the housings.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I added separate bulbs to my 2004 Wrangler and hated them. Seems half the time, they would lose contact and not work, but, to each their own.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CoolTech should be commended for their help. It wasn't their problem and they helped you figure that out.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #24

It was their problem. The Cool Tech supplied umbilical had a disconnected wire in the plug. This cord should have been checked before it was sold and shipped. Cool Tech wasn't very helpful, all I got from them was that the problem wasn't in their harness but in my installation.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
It was their problem. The Cool Tech supplied umbilical had a disconnected wire in the plug. This cord should have been checked before it was sold and shipped. Cool Tech wasn't very helpful, all I got from them was that the problem wasn't in their harness but in my installation.
I'm sorry, I didn't get that part. I did not know they now sold umbilical cords. You are in your rights to be upset. I would be too!
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

so it was a loose ground wire from one of their pin in the plug? yes, should have better qc on their part.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Yep, that's what I said. It is a grounding problem. It fixed my wiring setup last year. I figured it out on my own because the CoolTech support was worthless.

Same here. No response to messages or emails.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #28

Jeep Wrangler 2012 flat tow info

Hi:

I did a lot of reading and research on this site and others. Then I set up my JK. In my 1998 Wrangler Sport, I used the M&G Engineering tow brake system which I think is one of the best. I just bought a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport and set it up using the M&G Braking System also and since I had read that the Jeep Mopar Light Harness is just plug and play, I used that also since one doesn't have to use Diodes or run all the way to the rear lights, rather it plugs right into an existing connection by the passenger side. Another area of contention is whether the later JK's have to have the Ignition Key in the accessory position and the answer is NO if there is no steering wheel lock. I called Chrysler Jeep Headquarters and spoke with a tech and advised him that the Information Manual said that the Key must be in the accessory position. He said the information manual was never updated to reflect that the Jeeps without a wheel lock can keep the key out of the ignition so one also doesn't need to disconnect the negative of the battery if one is using the RV link to power the lights. However, the Owners Manual which is different and comes with the vehicle as a DVD is up to date and doesn't require the key be in the ignition or the battery negative be disconnected. It still does state with the manual transmission that the Transfer case be in Neutral, and the vehicle be put IN Gear. They just don't state which gear so as many others, I just put it in 5th gear.