Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blue Ox bulb and Socket Ki

I researched different Light kits and decided to go with the Blue Ox Bulb and Socket Kit. It is a totally independent system which wires from the front of the Jeep to the rear tail light housings. Two holes are drilled into the housings and the bulb sockets are installed into the housings. The wiring runs either along the frame or inside the cab to the front and the wiring connects to a six pin plug which mounts on the front of the Jeep; probably on your baseplate, depending on which baseplate you have. The nice thing about this set up is it totally bypasses the Jeep wiring and power and gets power from the motorhome 7 pin plug.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
I researched different Light kits and decided to go with the Blue Ox Bulb and Socket Kit. It is a totally independent system which wires from the front of the Jeep to the rear tail light housings. Two holes are drilled into the housings and the bulb sockets are installed into the housings. The wiring runs either along the frame or inside the cab to the front and the wiring connects to a six pin plug which mounts on the front of the Jeep; probably on your baseplate, depending on which baseplate you have. The nice thing about this set up is it totally bypasses the Jeep wiring and power and gets power from the motorhome 7 pin plug.
you can purchase the same thing at autozone,napa etc,for about 20 bux just need to buy the separate items,i have done for both my "jk's"
brianj

Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #31

After reading a lot of posts on this site, I decided like some others to just install the Jeep Mopar RV harness on my Jeep. It is plug and play and hooks right up to the Jeeps wiring system by just plugging it in near the Passenger dash area.
Works the rear lights, turn signals and brake lights with no diodes to install, and no other modifications.
With the newer Jeep JK's without the steering wheel lock, one does not have to put key in the ignition or put it in the accessory position. So not much drain on the battery so don't have to disconnect negative battery cable. Vehicle information Manual is wrong, which is the printed book in the vehicle, but after speaking with Jeep techs at their headquarters in MI, they told me that the Vehicle Owners Manual was already changed to reflect that. This is different from the Information Manual in the Car and is shown on the DVD that also comes with the car. If you have an earlier JK with a steering wheel lock, you can just run an additional wire to the battery to charge it from the Motorhome. Just use a six pin connector on the Jeep and run the extra wire to charge the battery. The little bit of extra money for the Jeep harness is well worth it and simplifies the install.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoguy View Post
After reading a lot of posts on this site, I decided like some others to just install the Jeep Mopar RV harness on my Jeep. It is plug and play and hooks right up to the Jeeps wiring system by just plugging it in near the Passenger dash area.
Works the rear lights, turn signals and brake lights with no diodes to install, and no other modifications.
With the newer Jeep JK's without the steering wheel lock, one does not have to put key in the ignition or put it in the accessory position. So not much drain on the battery so don't have to disconnect negative battery cable. Vehicle information Manual is wrong, which is the printed book in the vehicle, but after speaking with Jeep techs at their headquarters in MI, they told me that the Vehicle Owners Manual was already changed to reflect that. This is different from the Information Manual in the Car and is shown on the DVD that also comes with the car. If you have an earlier JK with a steering wheel lock, you can just run an additional wire to the battery to charge it from the Motorhome. Just use a six pin connector on the Jeep and run the extra wire to charge the battery. The little bit of extra money for the Jeep harness is well worth it and simplifies the install.
X2 I purchased mine through Mopar, as well hoping to avoid any warranty issues on our 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I ran seperate bulbs for our 2003 Liberty. Both installs work great in the application used.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I guess I have to disagree somewhat. I used the Cooltech harness on my JK and did the separate bulbs on my F150. I hate the F150 installation. It is not sealed from moisture. I could not get all of the plastic out of the housing. Some day I will probably replace the housings.
I used the Trailer Mate harness from e-trailer for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Just a plug in harness. That harness worked out well for me.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoguy View Post

I've looked at this harness and isn't it for the rear of the Jeep to go to the round plug or will it work at the front also?
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
I've looked at this harness and isn't it for the rear of the Jeep to go to the round plug or will it work at the front also?
No, this wiring plugs underneath the glove compartment and the the lead wire routes towards the front grill. It also has another harness that plugs into the front of the jeep and at the rear of the MH. I bought this wiring harness from jeep parts and it is very well engineered. There is a set of isolation relays that is attached to it and it is there to separate jeep's and the motorhome's electrical source. I havent installed it yet, but looking at the harness and how it is designed and made... Im glad I bought.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure the Mopar harness will work great. However, the CoolTech is a quality harness that is an easy install and works flawlessly.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #37

For all the posts on the harnness I'm glad I purchased the Trailermate TM781124 harness from e-trailer. Worked first time No calls needed to work out problems. Just plug & play, no splicing or cutting, & best of all e-trailer has an installation video on their web site. This harness is vehicle specific. Surprised me how easy it was to install on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. All of the diodes are designed into the plugs. Better than years ago when I had to design a diode box enclosure for my 89 Geo Tracker. Then splice & cut.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Redridge, Would happen to have a part# for that harness? I'll try to locate it on the Mopar parts site. Thanks

I did locate the part # for the harness (82211156AB) A little pricey but it looks like a good part with all the correct connectors.
One ?, does it work with/support a in-car bake system that activates the brake light also?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Redridge, Would happen to have a part# for that harness? I'll try to locate it on the Mopar parts site. Thanks

I did locate the part # for the harness (82211156AB) A little pricey but it looks like a good part with all the correct connectors.
One ?, does it work with/support a in-car bake system that activates the brake light also?
This part does not work on '12-'13 Jeep Wranglers with the Pentastar engine. The tech at the local dealer tried to install it unsuccessfully last week before calling Mopar. Mopar said the web page and their order catalog were wrong and needed changed.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
This part does not work on '12-'13 Jeep Wranglers with the Pentastar engine. The tech at the local dealer tried to install it unsuccessfully last week before calling Mopar. Mopar said the web page and their order catalog were wrong and needed changed.
Thanks for the reply on the Mopar harness #82211156ab for the '12/13 Wrangler.
I guess I'll keep looking for one to use.
My current toad has all the wiring on it that I will be removing but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the Diodes.

avid_dk, what did you end up using?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Thanks for the reply on the Mopar harness #82211156ab for the '12/13 Wrangler.
I guess I'll keep looking for one to use.
My current toad has all the wiring on it that I will be removing but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the Diodes.

avid_dk, what did you end up using?
Still thinking after the failure at the Jeep dealer last week. Really like the idea of the Towmate.com wireless lights. Darn Wranglers just don't have anything metallic on the back to stick them to. (Hilarious for a bomb proof off-road rig.) They do sell suction cups that allow you to stick them to the back window if you have a hardtop. Others have epoxied metal squares on the hardtop for them to stick to. I have considered two metal squares held to the bumper with web straps. The Mrs. is overseeing the cosmetics of my decision.

Take a look at your rig and see if you can imagine a way to add a metallic object to stick magnetic lights to. Rugged Ridge has a spotlight mount that attaches to the spare tire but that just adds to the expense of the project.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
DAMN!... These guys need to get their act together, sounds like the left have no idea what the right is doing. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I opened the package but havent installed it yet. Now to try and get my money back.